Fast Draw Skill Clarification

Guardian

Question

Hi Steve -

I searched the FAQ and my old Hero 5th Ed already; I apologize for wasting your time if the answer is in 5ER but my current copy is at a friend's house.

We play in a Champions game with points paid for powers, although the occasional weapon is picked up in combat and used by a PC.

Am I correct in assuming:

1) Powers with the special effect of a weapon ARE NOT subject to a half-phase to draw before use, (even powers defined as OAF could still be fired instantly) UNLESS they have the "Real Weapon" limitation.

2) Any weapon picked up at the moment, or used without the character having paid actual points for the power, would require a half-phase to draw UNLESS that character succeeds at a Fast Draw Skill Roll.

3) Am I wrong about the above, and in a SuperHeroic game you never have to take extra time to use a power unless it is specifically listed as a limitation on the power? Essentially, Fast Draw skill is only for a Heroic game and not to be used in a Superheroic one?

Thanks again for your eternal attention to detail, and all the effort that you put into making such a great RPG system!

1 answer to this question

Re: Fast Draw Skill Clarification

1. Yes, that’s generally correct, though as always the final decision’s up to the GM.

2. Yes, that’s also generally correct.

3. In most cases I think Fast Draw’s primarily going to be used in Heroic campaigns, but that’s not to say Superheroic characters can’t buy it if they want. It might be appropriate for a Batman-type character who buys WFs, for example. The optional rules in TUS for Fast Draw might also make it an attractive purchase for characters who wouldn’t otherwise consider it.