Scroll Limits (Again)

Dr. Anomaly

Question

Steve,

I understand why you moved the "how do I do the limits on the scroll" thing, as it is in fact a "how-to" question, but I was hoping for a more general "I can apply this in other situations" ruling.

What's the official stance on the appropriate Limitation for something that's an Accessible Focus until used, and is thereafter essentially Inaccessible until it wears off / is Suppressed / whatever?

How do you find a "middle ground" between OAF and OIF? It starts as one, and ends as the other. Split the difference and call it a net -3/4? If so, what would you call that? A Semi-Accessible Focus?

C'mon, throw me a bone here! :)

1 answer to this question

It’s an OIF. If it’s Inaccessible some of the time, that’s the Limitation you should use, regardless of the fact it’s Accessible other times. Or you could persuade the GM to call it an OAF and just say, "Once the power's activated, taking the Focus away during that time doesn't deprive the character of the power." Or perhaps you could use some sort of alternate power construct, like Charges -- that's pretty much how potions and scrolls in FH work.