[Character] The Witchfinder General (and lots of character theme design talk)

JimLotFP

Here is my latest creation. It's weird, when creating "Player Character/hero" types, I'm not really drawn to concepts that look to play well when the fists start flying, but more to characters that I'd have an interesting time role-playing in out of combat situations. A character that a comic book might be able to actually be written about instead of a set of combat statistics with some backstory added, if I can be a bit arrogant. :) My experience with superhero gamers is that the BASH POW style of flashy fights is a lot of the fun so my goals and other players' goals for superhero fun might be very different.

It also occurs to me that a player making his PC more well-rounded might put him at a disadvantage against a time-pressed or maybe inexperienced GM... if a PC is concerned about how well-rounded he is, and a GM makes villains more geared towards how they will interact with PCs (crime and fighting, I'd guess), villains are going to be far more effective face-to-face on a point-to-point basis. Not a problem if you do "Hero team versus big bad villain" but that puts the heroes in the position of always being the weakness superhuman they find. ("It always takes four of us to take one of the bad guys down!")

But making well-rounded, "what if the campaign was all about this guy?" villains isn't going to go well either. They'll either get all mulched up by a combat-ready hero or they'll end up stealing time away from who the game is about - the Player Characters. Which is why villains are more one-dimensional in the first place, as nobody wants to go into the full history, motivations, and inner thoughts of every single goon in spandex they stop from committing nefarious deeds. Just introducing this stuff makes a big chunk of the game about THEM, so it's best to stay away from doing it... and then it's back to the original cardboard cutout villain problem.

Must balance!

Another thought is that these characters I'm making here might be more suited to Dark Champions style than Champions... but that's not my intention. If I were to play these characters (and I will be GMing the upcoming HERO game being put together...) I would want them thrust into superheroic situations, but of course related to the character concept. I think it's just a mental block of realizing that any quality story/session is going to involve real challenge to the characters... so creating a wildly powerful individual would be an exercise in frustration because for the game to work, he's got to be challenged as much as the more power-limited guy. So why not work on a smaller scale to begin with, make a flawed character, and at least be able to hand to a GM a bunch of ways that you want your character to be challenged.

I'm probably just rambling. These are just some impressions after diving back into HERO after a 15 year absence and I'm just doing some pre-campaign thinking out loud about pitfalls I need to avoid for my game. :)

Anyway, to the Witchfinder himself. I'm fairly happy with how he turned out, except perhaps the Darkness Descending power. Change Environment has a fairly specific method of calculating costs for effect, but a flat OCV penalty for everyone within the darkness/fog isn't exactly what I had in mind... more of a haze, increasing range penalties significantly is more what I had in mind, so hand to hand combat would be unaffected but everything else would be a problem. How would I model that? And with that thought:

[b]Witchfinder General - Jebediah Brightmore[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
20    STR     10   20      13-       HTH Damage 4d6  END [2]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
23    CON     26   23      14-
23    BODY    26   23      14-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
21    EGO     22   21      13-       ECV: 7
35    PRE     25   35      16-       PRE Attack: 7d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
7    PD      3   7             7 PD (0 rPD)
5    ED      0   5             5 ED (0 rED)
5    SPD     17   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
9    REC     0   9
46    END     0   46
45    STUN    0   45
9    RUN      6   9"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
7    LEAP     3   7"                7" forward, 3 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 180[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
33     [b][i]Darkness Descending[/i][/b]: Change Environment 64" radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, -2 OCV, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (67 Active Points); No effect indoors (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) - END=7
14     [b][i]Terrifying Majesty[/i][/b]: +40 PRE (40 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Make Fear/Intimidation Based Presence Attacks (-1), Linked (Darkness Descending; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) - END=4
20     Find Weakness 13- with With Musket - END=0
3     Life Support  (Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0
5     Life Support  (Longevity: Immortal) - END=0
7     [b][i]Sabre[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=1
10     [b][i]Musket[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Side Effects: -3 OCV Range Modifier, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) - END=[6]
7     [b][i]Whip[/i][/b]: Multipower, 15-point reserve,  (15 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Whip Grab[/i][/b]: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) - END=1
1u     2)  [b][i]Whip Slash[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6 (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Limited Range 3" (-1/4) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 101[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
0      Weapon Element:  Default Element
4      Froissement:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm, +10 STR
4      Parry:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
5      Slash:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, +2DC Weapon Strike
12      +3 HTH Damage Class(es)
5      Thrust:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Weapon Strike

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 30[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Fast Draw 14-
3      Interrogation 16-
3      Riding 14-
2      KS: Biblical Law 11-
3      KS: History 12-
2      PS: Carpenter 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 16[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
23      Follower

[b]PERKS Cost: 23[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Dresses in 17th Century Clothes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Great Big Hairy Sideburns (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Absolutely Humorless (Common, Total)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Will Not Suffer a Witch to Live (Uncommon, Total)
15     Social Limitation:  Off the Grid (Frequently, Major)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Religious Fanatic (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Judgemental (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Will Not Use Modern Technology (Very Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Does Not Recognize Civil Authority (Common, Total)
10     Social Limitation:  Vow of Poverty: Donates Any Excess Wealth to the Church (Occasionally, Major)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

Background/History: Jebediah Brightmore was born in rural England in 1632 but his family moved to Massachussetts in 1636. It was there that he first came into contact with the occult, and as a ten year old child his family was murdered and he was kidnapped by a coven of witches and was to participate in a ritual of human sacrifice with the intention of bestowing immortality on the head of the coven. The ritual was interrupted by the authorities, but not before things had gone horribly wrong: young Brightmore was drenched in goat's blood in the confusion, and several desperate witches completed their incantations.

Brightmore was taken in by the Church at this point, and because of his unique experiences was trained to be a "modern-day" inquisitor... a Witchfinder. His activities in the Colonies brought him into constant contact with Indian mysticism, Carribean Voodoo, and European Satanism, and like other Witchfinders, he was changed. Unlike most, he lived to tell about it. As the years wore on, he lost the need to sleep. Around age forty, he stopped aging. He eventually began to serve under Increase Mather, where he began to be disillusioned with the growing political concerns in witchhunting. His break with the church and colony hierarchy came in 1692 when he acted as an observer at the Salem Witch Trials, where he saw innocent people executed and imprisoned, and no one would listen when he told them that there was no supernatural power at work.

He made his way to the western frontier to be away from the increasingly decadent lifestyle of New England, and spent most of his time protecting colonists from Indian shamanism.

He had trouble keeping up with the changing world. He fought for the Colonies during the American Revolution, but ended up as an officer of one of Daniel Shays' Regulators in 1786-7. Eventually pardoned by Massachussetts governor John Hancock for his part in the rebellion, he once again headed west, this time to California, where he spent decades practicing his profession.

The 1860s brought many changes. First was the Civil War (he served on a Confederate militia, as he believed that America was becoming too much like old England in its quest for power, but never saw combat), then the completion of the first transcontinental railroad made Brightmore's world even smaller. His brand of justice was well out of favor by then, and even then was forced to live in the shadows, outside of society. After the schism in the Amish community that decade, he decided perhaps he had found a place that he can live.

His willingness to work hard in the community and protect their interests (and his willingness to intimidate those who spoke out against him) allowed both he and they to overlook their religious differences and give him a sanctuary from the outside world.

He has stayed hidden from the world since then, keeping himself out of sight from those that would notice that he is over four hundred years old. Still, some records persist, and he was drafted for both World War II and Vietnam, with locals covering for him ("He died years ago...) when officials came knocking when he didn't serve. He has never registered with any government (or private) office since 1865, and lives entirely off the grid. He does not keep his identity secret, but because he is effectively untraceable (and keeps no close friends), his identity isn't exactly public either.

And so he has lived for the past 120+ years, content to live a simple life away from the world. But the the evil of this world and the next will not leave him be... and it is time for the world to tremble before the visage of Jebediah Brightmore once again.

Personality/Motivation: Brightmore has seen evil and dedicates his life to fighting it. Whether this evil really is of the Devil or not is for the GM to decide but Brightmore knows what he believes in.

He tries to have as little contact with the modern world as possible. He is distressed at the abandonment of traditional values in society, angered by the hypocritical religious figures that garner media attention (oh how he loathed the 80s...), and deepy hurt by the tolerance and acceptance of "alternate" religions. (He does not consider Wicca or modern forms of Paganism to be "witchcraft" as he defines it, but any true sorceror, whether they use magic for show, for heroism, or what have you, falls under his definition - he does not differentiate between "white" and "black" magic)

Brightmore is unwavering in his mission. He has seen the evil. he has been touched by the evil. And he will conquer it.

Quote: "I am Jebediah Brightmore, Witchfinder. Confess!"

Powers/Tactics: While the Witchfinder General is an expert in the use of his sabre and a deadly shot with his rifle, it is his voice that his enemies need fear most. He is a grim, imposing man in the best of times, but when he is angry, the shadows of hell seek to escape his presence and in their panic they blot out the sun, and the universal human fears of hellfire and damnation carry through his voice. Few indeed are the foes that can keep their wits and courage about them when his fury is directed at them.

Brightmore keeps his activities limited to rural areas as much as possible to maximize his freedom of movement and to stay out of sight, but he will pursue evil wherever he finds it on the back of his monstrous black stallion - and only friend - Inquisitor (a light warhorse with increased running and "animal intelligence" disadvantages removed).

Campaign Use: The Witchfinder General's status in a campaign will be defined by the kinds of stories the GM presents. If faced with Evil, then he will be a hero in the stories told as he does have a strong drive to defeat such evil for the glory of God and the safety of man. If confronted with too much moral ambiguity, mundane "stop the bank-robbers" capers, or scenarios designed for feel-good endings, he will come across more as a villain as he has no interest in promoting or participating in modern society or upholding normal standards of law and order.

Appearance: Jebediah dresses in the manner of a 17th century Puritan... mostly black clothing with kneesocks, stovepipe hat, cloak, and gloves.

And his horse, Inquisitor:

[b]Inquisitor - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
25    STR     15   25      14-       HTH Damage 5d6  END [2]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
20    CON     20   20      13-
16    BODY    12   16      12-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-/13-
5    EGO     -10   5      10-       ECV: 2
22    PRE     9   22      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
7    PD      2   7             7 PD (1 rPD)
4    ED      0   4             4 ED (1 rED)
3    SPD     2   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
9    REC     0   9
40    END     0   40
39    STUN    0   39
16    RUN      20   16"                END [3]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
7    LEAP     2   7"                7" forward, 3 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 99[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
6     Knockback Resistance -3" - END=0
1     [b][i]Acclimated[/i][/b]: +3 PRE (3 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Defend Against PRE Attacks (-1) - END=
1     Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED) - END=0
10     [b][i]Kick/Rear[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6 (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=1
5     [b][i]Bite[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) - END=1
4     [b][i]Sharp-Eared and Keen-Nosed[/i][/b]: +1 PER with Hearing Group and Smell/Taste Group - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 27[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      +1 Bite, Kick, Rear
1      Language:  English (Understanding Only, No Speaking)
1      Riding 13- (3 Active Points); Complementary to Rider's Skill Only Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)
2      PS: Attack 11-
2      PS: Stop Attacking 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 9[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Physical Limitation:  Large (4m, -2DCV, +2 to PER rolls to perceive) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Physical Limitation:  Very Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 20[/b]

Base Pts: 115
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 135

Re: Character: The Witchfinder General (and lots of character theme design talk)

Interesting character and background. His serving in the Confederate Army is rather ironic because the culture of the southern states was much more like that of the aristocracy in England; whereas the north was colonized primarily by religious dissidents (non-Anglicans) and anti-monarchists (like Puritans). The American Civil War has been accurately described as the English Civil War, Part 3.

Re: Character: The Witchfinder General (and lots of character theme design talk)

Interesting character and background. His serving in the Confederate Army is rather ironic because the culture of the southern states was much more like that of the aristocracy in England; whereas the north was colonized primarily by religious dissidents (non-Anglicans) and anti-monarchists (like Puritans). The American Civil War has been accurately described as the English Civil War' date=' Part 3.[/quote']

Hmm.

His choices were based on the fact that the North was becoming more industrialized and secular, while the South was not. Since he'd been living for decades out in California at this time (hmm, he should know Spanish then, shouldn't he?), everyday life and politics out East were out of sight, out of mind. He served in the Arizona territory during the Confederacy's short claim on it in 1861-2 and returned to California when it was clear the battle was lost. He was in no way a staunch supporter of either side but at the time still felt duty-bound to not sit idle in the most important conflict of the time.

Re: [Character] The Witchfinder General (and lots of character theme design talk)

Change Environment has a fairly specific method of calculating costs for effect' date=' but a flat OCV penalty for everyone within the darkness/fog isn't exactly what I had in mind... more of a haze, increasing range penalties significantly is more what I had in mind, so hand to hand combat would be unaffected but everything else would be a problem. How would I model that?[/quote']

I haven't gone over the character yet (it's late I'm tired) but to answer this: I'm pretty sure Negative Penalty Skill Levels are what you want.