[Character] Caper

Comic

[size=2]Caper - Caleb Perry[/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 45 STR  35   10   18- HTH Damage 9d6 12t [4][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 26 DEX  48   10   14- OCV 9/ DCV 9[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 29 CON  38   10   15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 14 BODY  8   10   12-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 18 INT   8   10   13- PER Roll 13-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 14 EGO   8   10   12- ECV: 5[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  8 PRE  -2   10   11- PRE Attack: 1.5d6[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 COM   -   10   11-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 25  PD  16    9   25 PD (11 rPD)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 21  ED  15    8   21 ED (11 rED)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  4 SPD   4    3.6 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 REC   -   15[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 52 END  -3   58   Still getting used to cape, overexerts a bit[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 52 STUN  -   52[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+ [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  6 RUN   -    6"  [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  2 SWIM  -    2"  [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  9 LEAP  -    9"  9" forward, 5" upward [4][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]CHA Cost: 175[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 11  11 rPD/11 rED Damage Resistance: '[b][i]Intracellular Engineering[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 11 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  Radio Hearing [b][i]'Intratympanic Engineering' [/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]3 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  5  UV Vision [b][i]'Intraretinal Engineering' [/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]5 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  7 EC ExoCape [b][i]'Oops' [/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New][-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  5 A) 5" Flight (+1/2: +1/4 Var. Adv.; -1/2: Restrainable) 15 AP [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  8  3" Stretching, 15 AP [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]POWERS Cost: 39[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- Acting EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- AK: Home City EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  14- Breakfall[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Bugging (Fam)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- Climbing EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Computer Programming EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Concealment EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- Conversation EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Deduction[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Forensic Medicine[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Inventor[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- KS: Villains EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -  4 pts LS: English EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  13- Paramedics EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -  11- PS: Field Technician EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  6  11- SS: Aeronautics, Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Microbiology, Physics[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -   8- Shadowing EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  Skill Enhancer: Scientist[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  14- Stealth[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  -  TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 36[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 0 Only Latent Talent[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]Talents Cost: 0[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] PERKS[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 0 Normal job, home, vehicle of a normal[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]Perks Cost: 0[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 DF: Cape growing out of his back can fold down to hide (Concealed with Effort, Noticed, Recognized)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Hun.: Dragonfly 8- (Mo Pow, Harsh)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Psy.: Angered Excessively by Villainy, Bullying, Crime (Very Common, Moderate)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 20 Psy.: CvK (Very Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Psy.: Extreme Scientific Curiousity (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Soc.: Secret ID: Caleb Perry, Field Tech, Integrin Ecosciences (Frequently, Major)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 Soc.: Obligations - turn in lab and field reports (Occasion, Minor)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 100[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]Base Pts: 150[/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 250[/font][/size]

"It's not a tumour!"

Description

Caleb Perry is a toeheaded young man in his early twenties, a shade under six foot tall, who appears to weigh about 160 pounds, give or take twenty.

Perry invariably wears a jacket or coat of some sort, even on the warmest day, and could be kindly described as 'geeky' or 'nerdy' looking and sounding.

Caper is a spandex-clad masked man with a huge animated cape that moves of its own accord, allowing him to fly by stretching to its full 40' span.. and flapping. *cough* And it's part of him.

Origin

Caleb is a devoted scientific genius who believes technology can solve all human problems.

He works for Integrin, an ecology research company that remediates contaminated areas, going out into the field to collect samples and analyze the causes of pollution, then making recommendations on how to fix the problem.

You would think global warming would really upset him -- which it does.

But what really gets Caleb going is villainy. A social misfit who has never really coped well with threats, bullying, and that awkward doubt about what to do when you witness a crime openly committed by someone who clearly feels they have the right to do it, Caleb turned to technology to solve that problem, too.

Self-experimentation is, even villainous mad scientists will tell you, fraught with perils and often backfires. So it was with Caleb's bodywide intracellular engineering effort. It bought him near invulnerability to physical harm, the strength of a hundred strong men, superspeed reflexes, expanded senses and the potential for much, much more.

Oh.

And it made a 40' wide cape grow out of his back.

It's not really a cape. It's more of a combination of a vestigial tail, a skin flap, and a biomimetic polymembranous extrusion film. It has sensation, the ability to move as Caleb wills it, and a fairly aggressive ability to repair its tough but ultrathin substance. With very little practice, Caleb learned to wield this deformity, this mantle, like a living wing, an accidental artifical limb.

Caper has been trying to fight crime with his super powers, a stalwart figure soaring high above. But. Well. He gets laughed at. Even by other good guys.

I mean. His power is a twenty foot long cape growing out of the back of his neck. How humiliating.

Caleb was working in a swamp with a serious contamination problem, when he disturbed the skulking and insane villain Dragonfly, hidden near the source of the spill. Cal blamed Dragonfly and came after him as Caper. Dragonfly was for a change not guilty, and irked that he'd be attacked by a "guy with goiter-based powers." The pair do not get along, and Dragonfly will go out of his way to inflict pain on Caper.

It's been a rough ride for Caleb. Mocked as 'Latex-back', 'Quasidodo', 'Kiteboy', and worse, he thinks often of giving up superheroism. But he just can't hang up his cape. It's part of him.

Re: [Character] Caper

Credit where it's due. I want to thank Nexus for posting his PBEM call and inspiring me to get back to my roots. Not that I answered the call, but it was inspiring.

I've finally thrown off the twisted tribute curse. I feel like Etrigan not having to rhyme. I just hope it lasts longer this time. I mean, ironic imitations can be bad, but my poetics are much, much worse.

And to the 'How to encourage your players to spend more points on skills' thread, for reminding me that skills can help express a character's personality almost as well as disads.

And I've been nagged by a question.

Spawn's cloak is self-willed and aware clothing. So is Warlock when worn by Cypher (or by Betsy Braddock). So is Venom/Carnage. So too is at least one version of the Vision. There was an Elementals villain that was a suit that needed to be worn. Hogwarts has the Sorting Hat.

Does anyone have a favorite thinking article of clothing?