Invisibility Question

Dr. Anomaly

Question

Steve,

When browsing through the FAQ just now (as I do every so often; there's inevitably SOMETHING I hadn't noticed before) I found this:

Q: If a character purchases Invisibility for all Sense Groups, does that mean it’s impossible for anyone to perceive him?

A: No. First, of course, there’s the issue of perceiving his fringe (if he has one). Second, and more importantly, since characters can’t purchase Invisibility to the Unusual Sense Group — to Senses like Danger Sense and Combat Sense that aren’t assigned to a particular Sense Group, in other words — it’s not possible to be “absolutely†Invisible.

This puzzles me a bit. I know that you can't buy Sense-Affecting powers vs. the "Unusual" group, but I thought that you must buy Sense-Affecting powers INDIVIDUALLY for things that fall into the "Unusual" group. For a number of years I've had an NPC assassin with the power "Invisibility to Danger Sense (No Fringe)". Reading your answer above, it now seems as if this should be an impossible construct.

Do you really mean that if a sense falls into the "Unusual" group, you can NEVER buy a Sense-Affecting power to target it, even if bought against that specific sense instead of against a group? If so that makes such senses both too powerful for their cost (even though they cost quite a bit) and a "must have" for practically any character. I dislike things that are so effective they are "must haves" whether they fit character concept or not. YMMV.

1 answer to this question

You're misreading the answer. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with Invisibility to Danger Sense -- bought individually. The point of the answer is that you can't buy "Invisibility to all Unusual Sense Group Senses" as a group. It thus follows that since it's always possible for some character to develop some Unusual Sense you don't know about, "absolute invisibility" is impossible, since you don't know all the individual Unusual Senses to buy Invisibility to. It would be like trying to complete a collection of "all Amazon rain forest insects" -- we don't know how many such insects there are, and probably never will, so assembling such a collection is an impossibility.