Canadian Golden Age Comic Books in Alter Ego

SAVeira

In the 1971, The Great Canadian Comic Books by Michael Hush & Patrick Loubert was published. It was the first book to examine the Canadian comic books or characters ever. Now its focus was limited to only one publisher, but it was the most important of all World War II Canadian comic book companies, Bell Features.

My local library had a copy before it vanished and that is where I first discover it. I have always wanted my own copy; however, it had been long out of print by the time I first read it. Recently, I finally found a copy for sale, that was not outrageously priced and in rather good condition. So $50 US later, I got my copy last week. It was as good as I remembered it.

This week, Alter Ego No. 71 was for sale in my local comic book store. Within the pages of that issue of Alter Ego, for $6.95, the complete contents of The Great Canadian Comic Books, was reprinted. Oh well, my copy is an oversized hardcover book and the artwork is so reduced in size.

As a side note, Canadian comic books from the World War II era are referred to as Canada Whites. They called this since almost all comics produced in Canada at the time were printed in black and white. While American comics of the same era where produced in color, they are not available in Canada during this period due to Canadian government regulation.

The War Exchange Conservation Act, basically non-essential items were not allowed to be import into Canada and comics were deemed non-essential. The fact that American comics were not available to Canadian kids is allowed the creation of a Canadian comic industry. An industry which died when the Americans were allowed back into the Canadian market.

Anyway, I thought people might be interested in the new Alter Ego issue, what with the new Champions of the North soon to be available. Personally, in my campaign I have used characters from Bell Features to populate the Golden Age of Canada. Nelvana of the Northern Lights, Johnny Canuck, the Penguin and others were all part of the back story of my campaign. One of these days, I have to find my old notes and update the characters to 5th edition.

For these interested in more about Canadian comics, check out the work of John Bell. He is a senior archivist at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa and is a leading authority on the history of English Canadian comic books. He has put two books that are still today, Canuck Comics and Invaders from the North. Plus his is also responsible for the Guardians of the North website, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/superheroes/ and its sister site, Beyond the Funnies, http://www.collectionscanada.ca/comics/.

Re: Canadian Golden Age Comic Books in Alter Ego

A a citizen of the United States and a resident of one of the states armed and ready to repel the godless hordes of Canada (I'm from Michigan), I have to say, "Leave the comics to the real pros. We freely admit that you deserve hockey (except where the Red Wings are involved) but super heroing is ours bub." j/k

I never really knew about Canada's comic book history until about 10 years ago when I had the chance to sit down with a friend from over seas (I think he was from Vancouver hehehe) And he told me a bit about the history. It's cool that some of the past of Canada's Comic industry is finally getting some rep. You can only get buy on Captain Canada and Alpha Flight for so long.

Peace

Re: Canadian Golden Age Comic Books in Alter Ego

BTW, I just found out that that TwoMorrow is making that issue of Alter Ego available as a PDF for only $2.95 US. For these interested see here: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=579&zenid=8d1decbb542f84809b8c3adb3f405272

Also note, my wife is still laugh at the me for spend all that time and money, just to see the book reprinted in Alter Ego.