Lernean Regen - How to build it?

Comic

Greets, all.

I'm trying to build a critter with the properties of the Lernean Hydra. Cut off one head, and two more grow in its place.

I'm stumped (forgive the pun) on how to build and cost out three key parts of the character: 1) regeneration portion, 2) invulnerable except neck, 3) two more heads regrow.

So far, I have:

1)

Healing, 10 AP per 1d6 (12 AP for 1d6+1 = 4 pts Standard Effect);

+ 5 AP Regrow Lost Limbs;

+ 20 AP Resurrection, stopped by Cauterization;

+ Reduced to Zero END +1/2;

+ Persistent +1/2;

+ Reduced Duration 1 Turn, Post 12 Only +1.25;

+ Affects Any One Characteristic Lost +1/4 (to counter Drains/Transforms);

- Self Only -1/2;

- Delayed Activation 1 Turn, Post 12 Only -1.5;

- Not vs. Fire Powers -1/2;

This would give 2 BODY (or 4 pts of other Characteristics) per Turn, post Segment 12, with a cost of 129 AP, and real cost of 37 pts, if I've done this part right.

2) Is just a special effect in games without called shots -- all shots that hit, hit the neck. What is it in a game with hit locations? Armor + Damage Reduction Activates 15-? Vulnerability to attacks with Find Weakness? Missile Deflection + Block? Force Wall with only partial coverage?

3) I'm thinking Extra Limbs with the limitation, 'Only after Regeneration', plus one or several of SPD, Autofire or Multiattack with bite (HKA), with the same limitation.

Overall, this seems unwieldy in several ways. Is it how you would go?

Re: Lernean Regen - How to build it?

Armor, Activation Roll 15- is actually what I'd say is used in a game without hit locations. With, it's Armor, Does Not Protect Location 4 (4 for neck?). As for the method of handling new heads, I was thinking some manner of Triggered Multiform but your method is probably smoother considering the Multiforms would be using Autofire and Extra Limbs rules to represent the heads anyway. The benefits of multiple limbs are just one of those few things that HERO doesn't handle smoothly. I'll just add that you can probably Link most of the "new head" powers to whatever costs the most (SPD maybe) for some points savings. Only After Regeneration is Used or whatever is just a -0 "Limitation" in my mind anyhow, as there's not a whole lot stopping the beastie from getting minor wounds and regenerating them ahead of time to get all its heads ready. If it's intelligent anyway.

Re: Lernean Regen - How to build it?

We meet again! There is some precedence for this type of power, both in the Hero System Bestiary under Hydra (which I don't have available atm) and the Ultimate Metamorph (which I do have with me).

1) First off, this requires a bit more work but imho plays pretty well. The Hydra in the HSB is built with Duplication using the "one body with multiple parts" option [5ER pg. 156 under the Cannot Recombine (-0) limitation]. Each head is essentially a separate character. Tip: I would only use the Regeneration power for the main character (i.e. the body) so that the duplicates don't become too numerous (see below). The way you built it is awesome as it useful for much more than just BODY damage.

2) As each head is a complete character with it's own BODY and STUN, you won't have to worry about called shots and such. Tip: Buy the main character's (i.e. the body) BODY and STUN higher than the duplicates (or with Damage Reduction) so that attacking the heads remains a viable way to defeat the beast. Another option would be to buy the main character's Armor so high (with the Visible limitation so they know the heads are vulnerable) that the characters are forced to attack the heads.

3) The Ultimate Metamorph builds the Lernean Regeneration power as Duplication (with a large number of duplicates) with a Trigger (the Trigger being whenever the creature Regenerates damage using the Regenerate power). I think this may be a bit too much so I would suggest the Trigger be whenever a head (i.e. a Duplicate) is killed (but not vs. cauterizing attacks such as fire or electrical damage). Tip: Keep the SPDs of the Duplicates low or they will quickly become overwhelming.

I hope that helps or at least gives you some inspiration, cheers!