Questions about Absorption and Duplication

matrix3

I was thinking about a character with Absorption feeding into Duplication and the Absorption max. This was inspired by the Whit Knight defense, which I understand is borderline legal, would you allow this combination? If so, could the duplicates also have this, so that if a duplicate got hit, he could spawn off another duplicate? Or would it only be legal for the base character?

Re: Questions about Absorption and Duplication

I was thinking about a character with Absorption feeding into Duplication and the Absorption max. This was inspired by the Whit Knight defense' date=' which I understand is borderline legal, would you allow this combination? If so, could the duplicates also have this, so that if a duplicate got hit, he could spawn off another duplicate? Or would it only be legal for the base character?[/quote']

Per 5ER pg. 155, Adjustment Powers cannot feed into Duplication (in regards to the number of duplicates produced) without GM permission and possibly the Can Apply Adders Advantage. Per the FAQ and UM pg. 31, Adjustment powers can be used to increase the points of duplicates but suggest that it may be abusive.

Duplicates cannot spawn duplicates as they themselves do not possess the power though the GM could allow the Rapid Duplication Advantage to enable duplicates to be the source of other duplicates, per the FAQ and UM pg. 32.

Re: Questions about Absorption and Duplication

Huh, I didn't even think about that. I was concerned about the recursive nature of Absorption feeding into its own maximum absorption limit.

My idea is that the absorbed points would go into increasing the number of duplicates, not the point total of each duplicate. They would have to be altered duplicates without Absorption, since they wouldn't have any Duplication power to put the points into. Unless the GM ruled the points could feed back to the Base Character's duplication...

I suppose I could get a similar effect by buying the duplication power with a preset number of duplicates, but with a limitation of only 1 duplicate per BODY inflicted on the base character. What do you suppose a limitation like that would be worth?

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks for the page numbers and reference links!