Population Of Island Three Colonies

Vondy

Re: Population Of Island Three Colonies

Putting your hydroponics outside your radiation shielding falls under the classification of "Not a good idea."

not quite sure how they intended to solve that problem, presumably by sheilding the pods, but the whole reason that ring is sunside with clear "roofs" is, I thought, to provide uninterrupted sunlight to the plants. If direct sun wasn't an issue, as for micrograv manufacturing, then the ring could be on the backside of the reflector panes.

not to use a prior link as gospel, but here's one of the sections I was remembering...

All of the available space within the colony is given over to habitation. Agriculture, as noted above, is external to the colony proper, outside the residential cylinder. Seventy-two “hatbox” cylinders, each 645 meters (2,110 feet) across and 645 meters (2,110 feet) deep, enclosed by a 1.3-kilometer (4,265-foot) parabolic solar energy concentrator, orbit the industrial block at the north end of the colony. Linked into a giant ring by an annular access tube and connected to the end cap by three 32-kilometer (20-mile) radial spokes, they’re called agricultural blocks or farming satellites (“farmsats”). Each contains 1.3 square kilometers (½ square mile) or 129.4 hectares (320 acres) of hydroponics greenhouses, warmed and illuminated by the concentrated sunlight.

not quite sure how they intended to solve that problem, presumably by sheilding the pods, but the whole reason that ring is sunside with clear "roofs" is, I thought, to provide uninterrupted sunlight to the plants. If direct sun wasn't an issue, as for micrograv manufacturing, then the ring could be on the backside of the reflector panes.

not to use a prior link as gospel, but here's one of the sections I was remembering...

All of the available space within the colony is given over to habitation. Agriculture, as noted above, is external to the colony proper, outside the residential cylinder. Seventy-two “hatbox” cylinders, each 645 meters (2,110 feet) across and 645 meters (2,110 feet) deep, enclosed by a 1.3-kilometer (4,265-foot) parabolic solar energy concentrator, orbit the industrial block at the north end of the colony. Linked into a giant ring by an annular access tube and connected to the end cap by three 32-kilometer (20-mile) radial spokes, they’re called agricultural blocks or farming satellites (“farmsats”). Each contains 1.3 square kilometers (½ square mile) or 129.4 hectares (320 acres) of hydroponics greenhouses, warmed and illuminated by the concentrated sunlight.

Really, really bad idea. As any, um, "urban hydroponics farmer" will tell you, plants don't need natural light, they grow quite well under artificial light, and some will not bloom or fruit under constant light.

not to dispute your wisdom' date=' oh mighty nearly wise one, but I thought the "beads" are intended for hydroponics so as to allow the entire internal space to be taken up as "living space"?[/quote']

I stand corrected.

However, I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturing facilities of the L5 colony would be external to the main colony cylinder. I'll see if I can dig it up.