How much time does it take to Interpose?

JamesG

Question

UMA and FH describe the Interpose maneuver by which a character can protect another character or block a doorway/window. Does it take any time to “declare” an Interpose? I can think of three possibilities.

A) Declaring an Interpose is ½ phase Attack Action. But if another character “violates” the Interpose, the Interposer can immediately attack/block the violator.

B) Declaring an Interpose is a zero phase action. But if an Interpose is declared at the end of a Full Phase action (say after a Full Move to get in position) the character can not attack anyone who violates the Interpose until they get their next phase (though they could Abort to Block the violator per the normal Aborting rules).

C) Declaring an Interpose is a zero phase action. If anyone violates the Interpose the Interposer can attack the violator immediately whether they have a Held Action or not. (I tend to doubt this is the correct option since it can lead to “extra” actions and makes Interpose pretty powerful).

Are any of these three options correct? Or is the answer something else entirely I have not thought of? (A distinct possibility in this case).

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Re: How much time does it take to Interpose?

Interposing requires that the character who wants to Interpose “move in between” the character he wants to protect and the person who’s attacking that character. Therefore it requires a minimum of a Half Move, and thus a Half Phase Action. Assuming that’s the case (i.e., that the character doesn’t need to make a Full Move), he Holds his remaining Half Phase in case he needs to attack the attacker. If he had to make a Full Move, the OCV bonus will apply on his next Phase.

But of course, despite all this, since Interposing is a heroic action that may be necessary to save a character’s life, the GM might waive all of these restrictions and let him do it “whenever.” ;)