Lodestone

Certified

Recently someone posted a link to a site with the old Marvel Universe RPG stuff. As I tried to read through it, remembering it as a fun game my friends and I had enjoyed, I should have left it in my memories, I got kind of wrapped up in the character creation examples. As I read through them I started to wonder what they would look like as Hero System characters. Although I'm sure someone has already done this a thousand times before here we go 2nd of the 3 and first one to really catch my eye. I tried to keep the values close to the original as I could estimate. I've left the original back story in the description but updated the Disadvantages to fill in the character, trying to keep as close to the source material as possible. She did end up with more skills, not many but just a few based on the background story and the Magician's Assistant thing. Although I use Metahumans Rising factions under the hunteds only because I can't think of Marvel equivalents right now. Hope you cats and kittens enjoy:

Lodestone

Alternate IDs: Jenny Hopkins,

Value Char Base Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 10 0 11- 2d6 / 100.0kg

15 DEX 10 15 12-

25 CON 10 30 14-

25 BODY 10 30 14-

10 INT 10 0 11- PER Roll 11-

15 EGO 10 10 12-

15 PRE10 5 12- 3d6

12 COM 10 1 11-

2/38 PD 2 0

5/41 ED 5 0

5 SPD 2.5 25

7 REC 7 0

50 END 50 0

43 STUN 43 0

Movement

Running: 6"/12"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Leaping H: 2"

Leaping V: 1" Flying: 25"/50"

Basic Combat Stats

BaseOCV: 5 BaseDCV: 5 BaseECV: 5

Adjustments: Adjustments: Adjustments:

Total: Total: Total:

Levels: +1 with HTH Combat, +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128

RMod 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

2/38 PD (0/36 rPD) 5/41 ED (0/36 rED) 0 MD 0 PwrD

END: 50 STUN: 43 BODY: 25

Skills

5 Rough and Tumble : +1 with HTH Combat

9 Magnetic Skill: +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

3 Climbing 12-

3 Contortionist 12-

4 PS: Archeologist 12-

4 SS: Archeology 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 12-

3 Seduction 12-

Perks

1 Money: Well Off

15 Contact: Mutant Hero Team (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 11-

Powers

48 Dense Flesh: Armor (26 PD/6 ED) 0

15 Sense Magnrtic Fields: Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Touch Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range 0

20 Magnetic Manipulation: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must be near a magnetic substance (10"); -1/4)

20 1) Flight 25" (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must be near a magnetic substance (10"); -1/4) 5

20 2) Force Field (10 PD/30 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must be near a magnetic substance (10"); -1/4) 5

7 Steel Dagger: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Dagger; -1) vs PD. 1

46 Magnetic Manipulation: Multipower, 93-point reserve, (93 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only effects stone, earth and metals; -1)

3u 1) Steel Daggers: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) (90 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Sharp Metal Things; -1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only effects stone, earth and metals; -1) vs PD. [Notes: Lodestone controls the Steel Daggers through her Magnetic Manipulation, she actually has little skill with throwing a knife. ] 0

5u 2) Telekinesis (55 STR), Fine Manipulation (93 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only effects stone, earth and metals; -1) 9

Character Information

Height: 1.86 m Hair: Brown

Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Brown

Background: Her name is Lodestone, otherwise known as Jenny Hopkins, native of Moundsville, Ohio. Her magnetic powers first appeared while on a dig in that city with her father, archeologist Alvin Hopkins. The first flaring of her powers occurred when she and her father were arguing on the dig site, with the result that all metallic objects on the site were ripped from the ground and hurled across the river. The two are not on good terms. After leaving her father, she drifted, worked as a magician's assistant, and made the acquaintance of Professor Charles Xavier, who left her a number to call if she had any trouble. Her body armor is a form of dense flesh hardened by her magnetic manipulation, and she carries a set of steel daggers that she throws and controls magnetically, allowing her to make trick shots and shooting curves. She operates in the tri-state area, but considers attempting to join the X-Men.

Disadvantages

Watched: Geo 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) 15

Hunted: Humans Now 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish) 15

Watched: BMI 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching) 15

Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Moderate) 10

Psychological Limitation: Short tempered (Common, Moderate) 10

Psychological Limitation: Rough relationship with father, misses her family (Common, Strong) 15

Psychological Limitation: Indecisive (Common, Strong) 15

Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe 20

Susceptibility: in Strong Magnetic Fields 3d6 damage Instant (Uncommon) 15

Vulnerability: 2 x STUN From Ego Attacks (Common) 20

Character Costs

Characteristics: 116 Martial Arts: 0

Skills: 34 Perks: 16

Talents: 0 Powers: 184

Base Points: 200

Disadvantages: 150

Unspent Exp: 0

Spent Exp: 0

Total: 350

Re: Lodestone

Okay, one more out of I don't know why. While Lodestone ran fairly close to a 350 point character I found myself beefing up Commander Salamander quite a bit. Adding marital arts beyond Lightning Reflexes witch is what I think Marvel's Martial Arts E basically translates to plus beyond giving him some CSLs I bumped his Strength from 8 and Dexterity from 10 (As a side note I would like to meet the Army Officer under the age of fifty with a "poor" strength.), the Force Field was also just so he didn't get KOed every time he got hit since the source's only Defenses were the Immunity to Fire. Anyway, I didn't think this conversion needed his own entry so I'm sticking him below Lodestone. If I get all inspired and stuff (Bored) I may also do Leopard but here is the Commander for now:

Commander Salamander,

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

15 DEX 15 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

25 EGO 30 14- ECV: 8

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

2+6 PD 0 Total: 2/8 PD (0/6 rPD)

3+7 ED 0 Total: 3/10 ED (0/7 rED)

5 SPD 25 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

5 REC 0

30 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 112

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Powers

30 Invulnerability to Fire : Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only verses Fire and Heat; -1) 0

18 Flame Thrower : Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); OIF (-½), 8 Charges (-½), Range Based On Strength (3"; -¼) [8]

7 Burning Defense: Force Field (6 PD/7 ED) (13 Active Points); Linked (Fire Sheild; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -¾) 1

84 Fire Control: Multipower, 126-point reserve, (126 Active Points); all slots Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½)

4u 1) Boost Flire: Aid Fire Powers 6d6 (standard effect: 18 points) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½) 0

4u 2) Alter Heat: Change Environment 16" radius, +6 Temperature Level Adjustment, -6 Temperature Level Adjustment, Multiple Combat Effects (63 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½) 6

4u 3) Diminish Flame : Drain Fire Powers 6d6 (standard effect: 18 points) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½) 6

4u 4) Fire Sheild: Energy Blast 4 ½d6, Damage Shield (Offensive; +¾), Continuous (+1) (63 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½) 6

4u 5) Alter Flame: Energy Blast 8d6+1, Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +½) (63 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Requires a Source of Flame; -½) 6

5 Defensive Block +1 +3 Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 6d6 Strike

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 4d6 Strike

3 Martial Throw +0 +1 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

Perks

1 Reputation: Local Hero (A medium-sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6

10 Contact: Commander Roger Price, (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

Talents

8 Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

9 Fire Bug: +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

9 Military Combat Training : +3 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Demolitions 13-

3 KS: Logistics 13-

3 KS: Military organizations 13-

3 KS: Military Customs and Courtesy 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Survival 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 238

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

10 Dependent NPC: Commander Roger Price, 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

25 Watched: US Army 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

20 Hunted: TBD 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: TBD 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

5 Money: Poor

20 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders Very Frequently (14-), Major

10 Social Limitation: Famous (Frequently, Minor)

10 Vulnerability: 1 ½ x STUN From Cold (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 1 ½ x Effect From Cold (Common)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Introducing our Altered Human: Commander Salamander, otherwise known as Emihl Hickman, a former officer in the US armed forces who was exposed to strange chemicals in the course of an army training course (Project 52334453A: Operation Victor, Most Secret security rating). The lanky red-haired Hickman found himself able to control existing flame, while immune to the effects of fire himself. He kept these powers secret, but they were revealed to the world when he rescued the base commander Roger Price, from a burning ammunition shed. Commander Salamander operates in the tri-city area as a freelance operative, and is currently employed by a fireworks company. He relies on Roger to "lose" the occasional flamethrower in the paperwork so he can use it on big jobs.