Dodging and Levels

Paragon

Question

This is another one of those things that may have changed with editions or may not, and I couldn't find anything authoritative in the book or the FAQ.

Dodge manuever is an unusual one in that its' DCV modifier applies to both ranged and melee. But what about level applicable to Dodge? Overall Combat or DCV specific levels clearly apply to both, but what about other kinds of levels? I'd always assumed since the dedicated point of the manuever was general defense, that if levels were relevant at all to Dodge, they'd apply to both (even if they normally didn't on other manuevers, just because of the nature of Dodge) but I can't really find an indicator one way or the other.

The only thing I could find was a comment about not being able to do this with 2 point levels, but that doesn't address 3 point levels with three maneuvers or martial arts, or 5 point hand to hand levels used with a Dodge.

1 answer to this question

Re: Dodging and Levels

As stated on 5ER 53:

Characters can use one CSL costing 3 or more points as a +1 DCV against the same types of attacks (HTH or Ranged) for which the CSL could increase OCV. For example, a CSL with a swordfighting martial art could increase DCV in HTH Combat (against any type of HTH attack), but not in Ranged Combat.

However, as noted in several books, many GMs, either for specific genres/settings or in general, allow any CSL applied to DCV to affect all types of DCV for the sake of simplicity. And of course a CSL bought specifically for Dodge (e.g., a 3-point CSL with Dodge, Block, and Grab) will, if applied to Dodge, affect DCV as to all types of attacks.