Any experiences with "all-Focus" magic?

Mr. Negative

I'm considering starting a new FH campaign, either in Lankmar, or in a "fantasy" medieval setting, and one of the things I wanted to do was create a relatively low magic feel without preventing spell-caster PCs.

Although this was never overtly part of the Lankhmar mythos (either in the books or in the D&D conversion), I noticed that, other than gods and absurdly powerful spell-casters, virtually every spell cast in Lieber's works is cast through a device. Aha!

My idea is to only allow "wizards" to purchase their spells through magic items. All spells must have a Focus, though it does not have to be expendable (although potions and the like should be, or have expendable charges). The focus should be personal, to reflect that the item is used to direct the power of the wizard himself. Universal Foci, usable by everyone, are acceptable, but must be Indepedent as well (these are really more for things like Magic swords, etc that will more commonly be acquired by the PCs than enchanted by them).

In play, this would mean that a wizard would whip out his wand to cast lightning bolts, or perform a ritual with his brazier to summon a smoke demon, rather than simply casting a spell on someone. This would mean that actual spell-casting was done as a form of enchantment or ensorcelment, and was done in advance of using the magical power you were imbuing. The actual use of magic would be separate from the "creation" of magical devices. It also would mean, for my game world, that enchanting something so that it could produce magic was a difficult and time-consuming task (as you are spending character points to do so), so that you don't often encounter trivial bits of magic (like enchanted hairbrushes and the like). It also means that magic will be relatively cheap (as everything is at least an IIF, before any other limitations), but that you can neutralize a magic user in much the same way that you would neutralize a fighter, by removing his equipment.

It also finally renders the alchemist a viable adventuring class, as instead of having wands or rings or bracers or a staff, he has potions and powders. In normal FH, as the regular spell-casters can just produce their effects, the alchemist seems kind of pathetic, as he needs to make everything in advance in the kitchen. If every wizard has to have his props, then the alchemist shines, as his "spells" while having fewer, expendable charges, can be much more varied and flexible.

Has anyone else tried a system like this?

Do you have experience with the problems/pitfalls of such a system?

Even if you haven't played with such a system before, I'd welcome any comments and ideas.

As a final aside, I was also thinking, for those villians who needed the extra edge, and those players who simply had to have innate magic, of allowing wizards to "enchant" their own bodies as well, either through tattoos, ritual scarring, or powerful magic. Thus, a nekkid shaman might have defensive tattoos, or a vile sorceror might have a stare of submission, or a wicked enchantress might have a kiss of domination. Of course, these powers would not qualify for a focus limitation, and so would be more expensive than normal wizardry. Would this dilute the idea too much, or might I want to limit it only to the most powerful of wizards?

Believers of "real" magic tend to believe that most things need to be done through (a) creating a sacred space, (B) using sanctified foci, © performing a sometimes lengthy ritual, and (d) making a sacrifice (energy, blood, whatever). If you want to use the spell later, you need to carry around a fetish, often a small piece of jewlery. One "Wiccan" once told me that if anyone other than her touched the fetish the enchantment would vanish.

For in game magic, you'd end up with players having a VPP that could only be changed in a sacred space. The spells would be contained in breakable fragile but easily replaceable foci (maybe even expendable foci), sometimes with charges or a trigger. You might let the player buy a few powers outside of the VPP with limits like extra time and concentration, generally mental powers and/or enhanced senses.

Ran a GURPS Voodoo campaign using this type of magic system. That added actual summoning of powerful, active spirits to the mix. Very interesting feel to it.

Re: Any experiences with "all-Focus" magic?

Originally posted by Mr. Negative

Thus, a nekkid shaman might have defensive tattoos, or a vile sorceror might have a stare of submission, or a wicked enchantress might have a kiss of domination. Of course, these powers would not qualify for a focus limitation, and so would be more expensive than normal wizardry. Would this dilute the idea too much, or might I want to limit it only to the most powerful of wizards?

The above could make use of "props" as well, if you desired...

The shaman's defensive tattoos might require an application of basilisk blood (or something along those lines) upon them to harden his flesh. The tattoos are just there as a reminder of how to apply it.

The wizard's submission stare could be magic runes carved into one (or more) of his own teeth, and activated by pressing his tongue against them, perhaps in a certain order. After use, he has to re-enchant them (and floss). Still not foci, but possibly restrainable with a gag.

The enchantress' kiss effect is easy... magic lip balm. Or perhaps by dunking her face into a bowl of enchanted liquid.

"An interesting -- but unlikely -- suggestion, m'lady. Perhaps it would have more merit if you soaked your head first?" :D

Do a search for "Gem/Focus Magic System"

Me, C_Zeree, and a few others bounced some ideas around while developing our all-focus magic systems. It may or may not help in this instance but you might get some idea reading it. I been real busy with life the past months but now that I have Fantasy Hero for 5th I have been redoing my system to reflect some of the ideas it has brought to the table. When I get done I will post my redone system in its entirety.

Personally I would use the alternate enchanting creation rules in Fantasy Hero and require the magic items the wizards use only cost money, time, and end lost that returns around 1 point every 5 days and not charge any character points. Then I would make the item have a skill that is need to use them based on what type of item it is or use charges or something. otherwise they feel more like enchaters then wizards. Also I would make a talent so not just anyone could use these types of magic items. This way a wizard would feel less like a character that just happens to have a bunch of magic items.

P.S still haven’t found any fantasy hero player yet (been too busy), so none of my idea have been play tested yet :( Things are looking up thou, I went by the game store (yes the city I live in only really has one store that supports the hero system :( ) and all the Fantasy Hero was sold out, They had like 4 or more. Lucky I go mine the very day it came in :)