First few 4e Fighter conversions

badger3k

Since there are some that would make interesting tricks or powers in Hero, I decided to try my hand again. How do these sound so far:

Cleave: the character is skilled with the Sweep maneuver and can attack multiple foes:

Cleave: +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Only with Sweep Attacks (-1), Only to original value (-1/2) Real Cost: 8

------------------------------------------------------------

Sure Strike: The character trades power for precision:

Sure Strike: +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character cannot add any STR to the attack; -1), OCV only (-1/2) Real Cost: 4

[i wasn't sure if the strength limit would be a side effect or general limit. I gave it +1 since a fighter would normally add strength to all attacks (this is SOP in my games with my players, YMMV]

Covering Attack: Your strike allows an ally next to you to move safely.

Covering Attack: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Teleportation 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (10 Active Points); Only for willing target (-1), Linked (Bonus Damage; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) END: 1

Passing Attack: You use the momentum of an attack to move and strike another foe.

Passing Attack: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of hth attack (15 Active Points); OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2), Second attack must be on a different target (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Teleportation 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; if first attack of autofife hits; +3/4) (4 Active Points); Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) END: 1

----------------------------------------------------

Steel Serpent Strike: an accurate and damaging blow temporarily freezes the target in his tracks.

Steel Serpent Strike: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Drain Running 2d6 (20 Active Points); Target recovers all points on strikers next phase (-1), Linked (Serpent Strike bonus; -1/4) (Real Cost: 9) END: 3

Brute Strike: You wind up and release a fierce attack.

Brute Strike: HKA 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) Real Cost: 7; END: 3

[This one was a daily attack, and I kept that with this construct. A regular attack that gets +2d6 to the strike is a bit too powerful to be used every attack]

----------------------------------------------------------------

Comeback Strike: Your strike gives you a brief surge of energy that heals you.

Comeback Strike: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) HKA 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Healing STUN 2d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Self Only (-1/2), Linked (CS damage; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) END: 1

[This power was also a daily, but it is not as bad as others]

Obviously, I'm going with the deadly blow variety of bonus to damage. If you don't use this, then this might not be the way to go. Other options include aid to STR perhaps.

There were two other attack builds, but these fit into martial arts, so I am leaving them off (they are in the hdp file, if you want). I also included my two versions of shift in the hdp for ease of building other powers. Other options can be using a "Fighting Tricks" roll, which is what I may do, or follow the concept of daily/encounter powers - I use charges, costs END. My approximation is go with an average of 3-5 encounters per day, or get a recovery rate of 5 minutes rest (1/use with 5 min recovery is a +0 mod, going with a +/- 1/2 per time increment).

Any comments?

Re: First few 4e Fighter conversions

Could build Serpent Strike with a dispel, depending on when its meant to be used. If you nail them mid stride they'd stop immediately and couldn't move until they had a phase to start the power up again (if they're in a full move, that's next phase, if they're in a half move, they'd have to use their next half phase action to start running again).

Could build Serpent Strike with a dispel' date=' depending on when its meant to be used. If you nail them mid stride they'd stop immediately and couldn't move until they had a phase to start the power up again (if they're in a full move, that's next phase, if they're in a half move, they'd have to use their next half phase action to start running again).[/quote']

Hadn't thought of that. Have to take a look at it and see how that works out. In the original power, the target is slowed (moves half-speed) and can't shift (move 1 square without getting attacked). Since Hero doesn't work that way, I figured a random drain (or dispel) might be a better way to go.

Thanks for the input.

I've made some more, but I'll add them later. Here's one attempt at an ability that makes an attack a two-target autofire attack. I've built it three ways:

1. Rain of Blows: Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH weapon attacks, Encounter Power: 1 use, recovers after 5 minutes (+0) (15 Active Points); OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) Real:10, END: 1

2. Rain of Blows v2: Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH weapon attacks (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) Real Cost: 5, 0 END

3. Rain of Blows v3: Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH weapon attacks (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2). Real Cost: 5, END: 1

I'm leaning towards the third, but I don't know. It used to be that you could do make charges recover faster, but I can't see that any more (and HD lacks it). Going by the 1/2 per time increment, I get the +0 in version 1. Version 2 lacks and END cost, while #3 has it, but luckily it gets no points for it, since I think costs END in this case is not a limitation (it's what it should be).

Any thoughts on this?

Well, I've been playing around with this, while watching the opening ceremonies and dealing with a psycho-puppy, and have a bit more. I've narrowed it down to using the Fighting Tricks skill, and have gone with the recoverable charge method to get a skill that takes a 5 minute rest to recover it (this is more of meditation or preparation than anything mystical, but hey, whatever works). Obviously all this can be bought off or changed as needed or desired. About the only thing I am not comfortable with is the +HKA bonus. I've decided not to go with the standard "buy 1d6 HKA" method, and have tossed into the ring both +STR and AID to HKA. Despite the cost, I am more inclined to go with the AID, even if I had to limit it to one phase (since there is currently no way to speed up the fade rate).

I want to highlight this in one case that I used before: Brute Strike

This basically doubles the damage the weapon does, for one strike.

The current v1 uses a bonus to STR. It is:

Brute Strike: Brute Strike: +30 STR (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only for one combat strike (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4). Real Cost 7. This is one option. Given that the charge is not continuing, it doesn't make sense to make this an instant power.

Brute Strike v2: Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike only; -2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2). Real Cost: 8 points. I went with a -2 for the duration limit because it given even a SPD 2 fighter it could give 6 attacks worth of bonuses, and reducing that to on is a more than 2/3 it's effectiveness, so I went with that. If it is a 4 SPD fighter, it could be 1/12 his attacks without even a 5pt bonus.

Despite the cost, it still fits within the AP limits of power for the campaign, and it seems more mechanically sound. Posted for comments, naturally.

When I get done with some more, I'll post them and give the hdp file.

There is a mechanic for a passing strike' date=' it is called a move by. very useful tactical choice some times.[/quote']

But Move By uses velocity as well, and requires full movement. For this, the fighter can stand still and let his momentum carry him on to attack another target.

Ok, this is pretty much it. I may add to it, just to get a bit of the odd ones, but when going over the powers for fighters, there are a lot that are just the same as earlier ones, just with one more 1x to damage (from 2xWeapon to 3xWeapon). Others use mechanics that are not easily reproducible in Hero (or are just slight variations of ones I have here). So, with this, I give you what I have:

Armor Piercing Thrust: Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH weapon attacks (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) Real Cost: 9

This attack lets the fighter strike through armor with a strong blow.

Brute Strike: Aid HKA 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points) (100 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike only; -2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) Real Cost: 16

This is a strong attack that breaks the limit on my campaign, but I didn't like it any less. I used standard effects for uniformity of result. I kept this as a half-phase action since it is a focused all out attack that can involve movement. It's a bit different then a haymaker, and I would not let these be done together.

Cleave: +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Only with Sweep Attacks (-1), Only to original value (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Instant (-1/2) Real Cost: 6

This is a standard attack option, and helps the fighter defend himself during a sweep attack.

Come and Get It: (Total: 74 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Teleportation 2", Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1 1/4), Selective (+1/4) (14 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Only to move target towards self (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Area Of Effect (up to 6" Radius; +1) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH Weapon Attack (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 18)

This one basically has the character call out and get others to come towards him, where he smites them. The radius of the Hth attack is obviously limited by the reach of the character and weapon.

Comeback Strike: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Healing STUN 2d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Self Only (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Linked (CB Strength; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4)

This strike lets you do damage and gain a bit of second wind. I kept this as Stun since that fits better, but there is no harm in switching it with Body of that works better.

Covering Attack: (Total: 58 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Teleportation 2", Usable As Attack (+1) (8 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Only for willing target (-1), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Linked (Covering Strike; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

This attack lets you strike and give the ability to move a short distance to an ally. It generally is used to get an adjacent ally out of harms way.

Dance of Steel: Suppress Running 4d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) Real Cost: 5

This lets the fighter weave their weapon into a steel web that prevents a target from moving (or slows them if they try to). I did not link this specifically with an attack, since it can be used with a regular attack as part of a multiple-power attack or be used on it's own.

Dizzying Blow: (Total: 80 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Works against EGO, not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (physical attacks; +1/4) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Linked (Dizzy Strength; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6)

This lets the fighter strike and hit hard enough that the target is temporarily frozen in their tracks. The Entangle uses the weapon CV to hit, but takes damage from the targets EGO as opposed to STR. I believe this is a proper construction if I read the rules for mental paralysis correctly.

Get Over Here: Teleportation 2", Usable As Attack (+1) (8 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Only for willing target (-1), Only to move towards character (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) Real Cost: 2

This ability allows the fighter to distract an opponent enough to let a character get close. This one is a bit wonky, as it does not really fit well with some other concepts. I'm especially not sure of whether this would need a Tricks roll or not. If it reflects a distracting flourish or something, it does.

Griffon's Wrath: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Negative Combat Skill Levels (-2 to opponent's DCV) (10 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Only until the end of your next phase (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

This is a strong blow that batters through the opponent's defenses, opening them up for your (or another's) next attack.

Passing Attack: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of hth attack (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2), Second attack must be on a different target (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Teleportation 1", Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; if first attack of autofife hits; +3/4) (3 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

This attack allows the fighter to hit one target, and if successful, to move 1" and strike again at a different target. As mentioned, it is not a move by and can be performed without moving.

Rain of Blows: Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH weapon attacks (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2). Real Cost: 5

This is your basic two-strike attack with any hth weapon.

Rain of Steel: Area Of Effect (up to 6" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HTH Weapon Attacks (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2). Real Cost: 19

This is the "get it" part of "Come & Get It". This is a burst attack where the fighter strikes at everyone within the reach of his weapon.

Steel Serpent Strike: (Total: 70 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Suppress Running 4d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Serpent Strength; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

This is a precise strike that temporarily paralyzes the nerves of the target.

Iron Bulwark: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Linked (Iron; -1/2), Instant (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2)

This is a strike followed by a defensive twirl of weaponry that gives the fighter some extra defenses. I kept the DCV as instant since it will only last the same phase as this strike.

Shift the Battlefield: (Total: 54 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Aid HKA 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points) (50 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (One Phase for One Strike; -2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Teleportation 1", Usable As Attack (+1) (4 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Linked (Shfting Strike; -1/2), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

This is a strike that forces the target in 1" in a direction the fighter wants. This could be a precision strike that gets them moving, to a blunt smash that forces them back.

Sure Strike: +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); OCV only (-1/2), Requires A Fighting Tricks Roll (-1/2), STR cannot add to damage (-1/2), Instant (-1/2). Real Cost 3.

This blow trades power for precision.

Unbreakable: FF (5 PD/5 ED), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; When a character is hit but before damage is rolled; +1/4) (12 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4). Real Cost: 5

This is a fighters ability to shrug off a blow, represented by providing a bit of armor. Yeah, I know there are various talents and powers that reflect this, I just didn't want to look them up and came up with this instead.

Unstoppable: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Aid STUN 2d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Aid BODY 1d6 (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) (Real Cost: 3)

This represents a fighters toughness, and the ability to shake off damage. I gave both Stun and Body since they went together. I could have used 20 pts each, but I don't want this to be any kind of major healing. It could easily go higher if you want.

Ok, that's it. I will upload the hdp file and let this one sit.