My 4e Ranger Ability Thread

badger3k

Yeah, I got back into this, to play with things some more. Not a lot so far, but I wanted to get a response to this and see any comments. To keep the same feel, I left out skill rolls and kept the daily/encounter uses through charges or recoverable charges. All recoverable ones recover after 5 minutes of rest. Use whatever justification you want.

So far, I have these:

Dire Wolverine Strike: Area Of Effect (up to 2" Radius; +3/4), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, Range limited to weapon reach (+0) (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires Two Weapons (-1/4) Real Cost: 20

This is similar to a sweep, but lacks the OCV penalties. A ranger wielding two weapons explodes into a raging fury that strikes all who are near. I put in the +0 reach modifier in case the "HKA" thing isn't clear enough and someone says their sword can reach 6" away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disruptive Strike: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; You are attacked; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of KA (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Negative Combat Skill Levels (-2 to opponent's OCV), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Instant (Only for the attack that triggered this skill; -1/2), Linked (Disrupt attack; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

This is a strike that let's you react to an enemy attack, disrupting it and maybe causing him to miss. Basically, before the enemy actually rolls to hit, you get a strike, and if you hit, his attack on you suffers a -2 penalty. After that, there is no penalty on him. This ability can be done with any weapon, ranged or hth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evasive Strike: Teleportation 3", Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; After You Strike; +1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4). Real Cost: 3

This ability allows you to make a move after you attack. It would allow some simple hit-and-run type tactics, but the nature of Hero combat doesn't give this the same effect as in 4e (it is mainly meant to counter attacks of opportunity).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excruciating Strike: Drain STR 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Linked to Ranged Weapon Attack (-1/4). Real Cost: 11

Your arrow sinks deep into the flesh of your enemy, causing them agony and robbing them of their strength. This is a bit of a stretch, a "naked link", but it works in a multiple power attack type of thing. It is linked to any one attack, and if that attack fails, so does this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox's Cunning: (Total: 27 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; An enemy attacks you; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Linked (Fox Step; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Teleportation 1", Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; An enemy attacks you; +1/4) (2 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Instant (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

You roll with an enemies blow, using the momentum to move and make an attack on the temporarily exposed enemy. This triggers after you are attacked, and let's you move one hex and make an attack. The "Fox Step" is the teleportation. I'll have to fix that - first you move, then you strike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thundertusk Boar Strike: Does Knockback (+1/4) for up to 120 Active Points of HKA (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires Two Weapons (-1/4). Real Cost: 10.

This is two staggering blows that fling your opponent back. I kept the active point cost high to cover two attacks. After asking Steve about this, I decided to go this way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yield Ground: Teleportation 3", Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; You are hit with an attack; +1/4) (7 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4). Real Cost: 3

After you are hit, you use the momentum to move back away from your opponent.

Ok, so that's what I have so far. I'll post more (and the hdp file) later.

I do have one more, that made sense when I thought about it. To simulate the tactical nature of 4e (or 3e even), I give you Attack of Opportunity:

Attack of Opportunity: Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; Usable once per phase, when an enemy leaves a hex adjacent to you; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) Real Cost: 22 points.

This would have to be given to every character. This is a no time action as it can go anytime. I am not sure if there should be more to it, since it can go off on any phase, even one you don't go on, but I think the trigger covers that. Powers that shift (the teleport powers) do not cause the trigger to go off. I set it as a Full Phase recovery, since you can only do this once per phase, but it takes no action on the character's part to recover - so maybe the advantage should be set back to +1/2.

One other thing - each of these attacks can also be done with a normal damage (HA) weapon instead of an HKA, but I put that under the hand-waving department. Most players I know prefer to have weapons that do more then normal damage. But that shouldn't stop the brawler from punching as an attack of opportunity. On a personal note, I'm not that fond of AoO, but if I want to try to reproduce some things, I may as well include it.

Of course, all you have to do is say that all characters can do this without making it as a power, but where is the fun in that?

Re: My 4e Ranger Ability Thread

Here's another: Frenzied skirmish - your hth attack is so intense it stuns the target for a short time.

This is built with a "Based on Con" to reflect that more durable people will recover faster. It works on the same principle as if Str were used.

Frenzied Skirmish: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group ( Physical Attacks; +1/4), Works against Con, not Str (+1/4) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Linked to HTH Weapon Attack (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4). Real Cost: 8.

Guest Admiral C

Dire Wolverine Strike: Area Of Effect (up to 6" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, Range limited to weapon reach (+0) (75 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires Two Weapons (-1/4) Real Cost: 25

When I first read this all I could think of was pulling a wolverine out his pocket and swinging it around his head. I'd give about +4d6 worth of Presence attack for that.

Some of these abilities are pretty expensive and buying more than a few would add up. As abilities like these (as I understand it) are the norm for 4e and allow classes other than spell users to have a larger array of limited use "powers" to dramatize and add options to combat, should they be divided by three like it is recomended for spells in FHG? For that matter any Fantasy Hero game that has dozens of new talents that are GM/published creations and fill a niche that spells fill for wizards/priests use the same option?

Discuss.

When I first read this all I could think of was pulling a wolverine out his pocket and swinging it around his head. I'd give about +4d6 worth of Presence attack for that.

Some of these abilities are pretty expensive and buying more than a few would add up. As abilities like these (as I understand it) are the norm for 4e and allow classes other than spell users to have a larger array of limited use "powers" to dramatize and add options to combat, should they be divided by three like it is recomended for spells in FHG? For that matter any Fantasy Hero game that has dozens of new talents that are GM/published creations and fill a niche that spells fill for wizards/priests use the same option?

Discuss.

You could divide by 3 if you want, or let them be part of some kind of framework (if you do spells that way, why not martial powers) - although I'd probably make some changes.

I'm not sure how these will work out, or how such changes would affect them, since I haven't used any of these. But if it works for spells, it should work for these powers. Dividing by three is supposed to encourage people buying spells, and it may encourage buying a larger collection of spell-like limited use abilities.

Of course, you can always put these into magic items, changing the focus and adding independent, and that would take them out of the power setting and into equipment. Then the cost might not matter.

Re: Dire Wolverine Strike

You can just use Megahex (+3/4) if you want to hit all the hexes around you.

Re: Using Teleport for free movement

Why use Teleport? Just put the trigger on Running; it's not only simpler and cheaper, but you don't have any weirdness from people trying to be creative with Teleport.

Some more:

Armor Splinter: your blows attack weak spots in the targets armor, leaving them vulnerable to your next attacks.

Amor Splinter: Suppress Armor 4d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Extra Phase (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2). Real Cost: 7

Arrow of Vengeance: You see an ally hit, and let fly an arrow in retaliation, catching the target unaware.

Arrow of Vengeance: Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; When an ally is attacked; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (45 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2). Real Cost: 16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bleeding Wounds: Your arrows puncture the target, drawing forth gouts of blood.

Bleeding Wounds: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus EB 2d6, Uncontrolled (Until Healed or Bandaged; +1/2), NND ([standard]; No circulatory system, regeneration; +1), Continuous (+1) (35 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Linked (Tri-shot; -1/4) (Real Cost: 11)

Cheetah's Rake: You slash about you in a circle with your weapons, striking your foes in the legs, knocking them back off their feet and pinning them to the ground.

Cheetah's Rake: (Total: 95 Active Cost, 32 Real Cost) Does Knockback (limited to 1"; +1/4), Area Of Effect (up to 2" Radius; +3/4), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, Range limited to weapon reach (+0) (90 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires Two Weapons (-1/4) (Real Cost: 30) plus Suppress Running 4d6 (20 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Extra Phase (-1), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires two-weapons (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

Great Ram Arrow: One of your arrows strikes the enemy squarely, propelling them back through the air.

Great Ram Arrow: Does Knockback (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) Real Cost 17

Confounding Arrows: Your arrows strike up to three foes, causing confusion and pinning them in their tracks.

Confounding Arrows: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group ( Physical Attacks; +1/4), Works against Ego, not Str (+1/4) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Linked to Ranged Weapon Attack (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Additive (1d6, 1 DEF for each arrow that hits; -1/4) (Real Cost: 11)

I based additive off of reduced penetration, but this adds each die together. One foe hit by two arrows has a 2d6, 2 Def entangle on them.

Hawks Talon: Your arrow strikes out and ignores a targets cover and concealment.

Hawks Talon (ranged): Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (15 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2). Real cost: 5

This one was a bit difficult. CSLs could take care of concealment penalties, but I figured if the attack was indirect, it would negate concealment penalties (and this would prohibit called shots as well).

Splintering Strike: Your arrow breaks off in your foes flesh, causing him to have problems making attacks.

Splintering Strike: Negative Combat Skill Levels (-2 to opponent's OCV), Ranged (+1/2) (15 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), Linked to Ranged Weapon Attack (-1/4) Real cost: 7

This one could have gone a couple of ways - I was going to go with a Dex drain, but the original is just a minus to hit, so I went this way. I figured 1 minute was more then most combats last, but it can be adjusted either way.

Spray of Arrows: You strike out at all close enemies with rapid, short draws of your bow.

Spray of Arrows: Area Of Effect (up to 6" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (75 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2). Real Cost: 21

Stunning Steel: Like confounding arrows, this is a melee two-weapon strike that paralyzes your enemy with ringing blows. It shares the same mechanic.

Stunning Steel: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of RKA (15 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OIF (Missile Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group ( Physical Attacks; +1/4), Works against Con, not Str (+1/4) (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Linked to HTH Weapon Attack (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Additive (1d6, 1 DEF for each weapon that hits; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

Sweeping Whirlwind: You sweep your weapons along the ground, knocking all your foes around you off their feet.

Sweeping Whirlwind: Does Knockback (+1/4), Area Of Effect (up to 2" Radius; +3/4), Selective (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, radius limited to reach of weapon (+0) (75 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), OIF (Weapon of Opportunity; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Requires two-weapons to be in hand (-1/4). Real Cost 20

Swirling Leaves of Steel: You set up a whirling rhythm with your blades that damage all who attack you.

Swirling Leaves of Steel: Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4) for up to 60 Active Points of HKA, Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Extra Phase (-1 1/2), OIF (Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires two-weapons to be in hand (-1/4)

Edit 2 - current changes take off a couple of Reduced End (0) limitations I forgot to delete. I've changed them in the hdp file. I've also added two alternate versions of the movement abilities (from Teleport to Running).

Why use Teleport? Just put the trigger on Running; it's not only simpler and cheaper, but you don't have any weirdness from people trying to be creative with Teleport.

Running only works if it applies to you. The shifting ability can work on you or other people, and the only way to make it work consistently was with the teleport. Considering it has the "must cross intervening space" limitation, it's hard to see how anyone could get too creative.

I hadn't looked at megahex. I'll have to see what that does and how it works out.

I don't think they should be divided. 4E is obviously of a much higher power level than standard fantasy' date=' so there would be more points involved in Hero.[/quote']

I think a campaign based on that would be a superheroic one, well, heroic rules but superheroic points.

Just realized I forgot to say thanks for the suggestion.

Running only works if it applies to you. The shifting ability can work on you or other people' date=' and the only way to make it work consistently was with the teleport. Considering it has the "must cross intervening space" limitation, it's hard to see how anyone could get too creative.[/quote']

Running can be applied to anyone; you can easily buy it with Usable Against Others. You can even buy Running UAO to give ground movement to beings without ground movement, for what it's worth. For that matter, all of the examples you posted apply movement only to the character using the power, so your point is entirely moot.

Although in retrospect, I understand that you're concerned about using the power on flying and swimming targets, so your way works as well in all the ways that matter.

Also, I note that you've bought Charges and 0 END for all of these powers. A power that works off of Charges costs no END by default. That should save you a few points right there.

Running can be applied to anyone; you can easily buy it with Usable Against Others. You can even buy Running UAO to give ground movement to beings without ground movement, for what it's worth. For that matter, all of the examples you posted apply movement only to the character using the power, so your point is entirely moot.

Although in retrospect, I understand that you're concerned about using the power on flying and swimming targets, so your way works as well in all the ways that matter.

Also, I note that you've bought Charges and 0 END for all of these powers. A power that works off of Charges costs no END by default. That should save you a few points right there.

Bloody internets ate my post!

Aargh - anyway, what I had said was I missed the Reduced End. I had worked up several versions, changing them as I tried to get some ground rules together, then forgot about it when I went to the current format. No excuse for sloppiness.

I did write up a version of the movement powers with Running instead of teleport, but they do suffer the same limitation as you mentioned. However, I could see some say that these are for the character using them, and if they only use Running, why not use that?

That said, I haven't made any changes to my 4e Fighter powers thread yet, since I'm going to rework them to match this format and add some powers. I have a few mechanics issues to work out, though. There are more classes that directly influence the movement on the battlefield, and teleport is a good catch-all, but that is no reason why some can't be limited to ground movement if desired (an attack that might cause an orc to give ground may have no such effect on the hawk attacking your eyes, for example). It all depends on what type of game you want to run.