Multipower Limitation

Scott Destroyer

Question

Hi again,

Still toying with some vehicle weaponry ideas. I'm considering making vehicles with "hardpoints" that can mount various combinations of weapons, sensors, and other packages. A Multipower, with slots representing the different items that can be mounted on the hardpoints, would seem the obvious choice for such a construct. But Multipowers can be switched instantaneously, while the hardpoint items should only be switchable by support crews back at the vehicle's base. So, my questions are:

• Is the Variable Power Pool Limitation "Powers Can be Changed only in Given Circumstances" appropriate for Multipowers?
  • If it is, should it be taken on the Slot costs, the Reserve cost, or both? (I'm asking this mainly because of the answer in the FAQ that states that, sometimes, a Limitation can be applied to a Multipower Reserve without being taken for all, or even any, of the Slots. It's a similar case actually - the example given there is Extra Time to change Slots.)
  • And finally, should the actual values of the Limitation be the same as those for a VPP that changes under the same circumstances, even though the Disadvantage is more limiting for a Multipower (which can, by default, be changed at Zero-Phase speed without a Skill Roll)?

Thanks again! :)

1 answer to this question

It's up to the GM. There's no particular rule that says you absolutely cannot do it (it wouldn't be that different from Extra Time, as you say), but obviously the GM should approve it. He may prefer that you use a VPP instead, for example; the reason that Limitation isn't specifically listed for Multipowers, but is for VPPs, is that it tends to make more sense, conceptually, for VPPs.