Another "classic" supers trope

Gemphyre

The thread on classic superheroes/villains tropes finally caused a conversation I had with a comic book artist/writer from about 20 years ago to bubble up.

I forget who the writer was, but he was working for Dark Horse Comics, and working on the book "Gold Diggers", IIRC. This conversation took place at a SF con.

Basically, we were talking about his story line when I made the observation that it seemed that for pretty much every female hero with her own book, the main antagonist/archenemy is always male, and usually attractive. Since there was a major female villain already in the storyline, I suggested that he either have her only appear to be a minion and actually be the "power behind the throne", or that she take over the organization and remain the heroines' primary antagonist.

I do realize why this female/male dichotomy usually exists. It is supposed to create some sort of sexual tension and innuendo similar to what exists between Batman and Catwoman, and it is playing to the main audience of teen and young adult males. At the time, I was simply suggesting a way to make his book a bit different.

Gemphyre