How to Build Delayable Absorption

mmshah

So if you want to build an Absorption that can "store" charge how would you do that? The advantages I had in mind where Delayed Effect, Time Delay or Trigger, but wouldn't all of them just delay your activation of Absorption until a later time when if at the time you activated it if you were not being attacked it would do nothing?

Delayed Effect also seems incorrect given its only supposed to be used in campaigns that impose a limit on the number of active powers at one time, even thou by its very name it seemed the most appropriate.

Basically I want an Absorption that I can choose to either use the points I gain then or wait and "store" them for later use.

Thanks

Re: How to Build Delayable Absorption

trying to figure out the effct being desired, the in game mechanical effect that is.

Are you wanting to delay getting the benegits in order to:

1 - if my boost from abs is already at the max i can hold off on newly acquired points and only spend them after the fade allows them to not be lost?

i mean if you are absorbing energy like to fill a battery then thats abs to end going to an end reserve or to your regular end. But since abs can be used for most anything even body or int, i need more info on the "storing" and what benefits you see cvoming from it.

give me an example of how its different from regular abs.

Buy, say, +30 STR with one continuing recoverable charge (1 turn), and you recover the charge by taking (say) 1 stun through defences for each point of STR.

That way you have access to up to +30 STR for 1 turn and, when it is gone, you gain it back by storing part of the energy of attacks. there is no limit on how long you can store it for once it is recharged.

I prefer that the the END Reserve because you have to pay extra for and END Reserve.

Delayable Absorbtion 30 Active points, 17 Real

+30 STR (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-3/4),

If you want more freedom, replace +30 STR with a zero END succor or an Aid.

Well I was thinking of boosting a Characteristic so I don't think an End Reserve would work, but the Recoverable Continuing Charge idea seems interesting, however aren't recoverable charges not supposed to be able to recovered in combat which kinda doesn't work with this concept. Also you aren't supposed to be able to use Recoverable charges to get back charges fast then 1/day, thou to be honest I don't understand that, that seems the only point of recoverable charges.

1 - if my boost from abs is already at the max i can hold off on newly acquired points and only spend them after the fade allows them to not be lost?

I wasn't thinking of that. That idea is interesting too, but I think one could mimic that by just taking the Delayed Return Rate advantage. Rather I wanted to be able to take a hit 'charge' say, 10 STR, and wait to apply the 10 STR at some later time like maybe in the next combat or something by taking an action, for example a Half-phase.

I wasn't thinking of that. That idea is interesting too, but I think one could mimic that by just taking the Delayed Return Rate advantage. Rather I wanted to be able to take a hit 'charge' say, 10 STR, and wait to apply the 10 STR at some later time like maybe in the next combat or something by taking an action, for example a Half-phase.

Ok so how long can you hold the charge? a day, a week, indefinitely?

looking at normal absorption you would first have to handle the "i can use it later" which means buying up the fade time to cove3r that. So if your abs can hold a charge for a day you start with buying absorption that fade per day instead of per turn or +1.5 iirc. Unless you have a really weird build thats not going to be price effective, paying more for a "sometimes i have it" than "all the time" would cost.

But since aid is likely to be similarly overpricey, I fall back to the easiest default.

BUY +10 strength

apply a custom lim for "when i get to use it" and go from there and skip the adjustment powers altogether.

for example, if the rule is "as long as within a day of getting hit by an electrical attack that causes me some stun" then thats maybe -1/2 if electrical attacks aren't all that common, or -0 if you can just grab an electrical outlet or stick a knife in it and so you are almost always juiced.) or maybe its a "continuing charge strength lasting a turn

but the key thing to look out for is if you can keep the charge from previous combats, you can easily juice up out of combat and so this might be little more than sfx for "extra strength i almost always have"

but barring funky multiple characteristics builds, once you go beyond the norm fade with these powers, and sometimes even with normal, you are better off buying the gained effect straight up and limiting it, rather than buying a power to add to it.

For example, i think one of the write ups for "combat fighting array" uses a dex aid to get up to +9 dex that costs like 24 cp when +9 dex all the time only costs 18 cp (nfc)

Well I was thinking of boosting a Characteristic so I don't think an End Reserve would work, but the Recoverable Continuing Charge idea seems interesting, however aren't recoverable charges not supposed to be able to recovered in combat which kinda doesn't work with this concept. Also you aren't supposed to be able to use Recoverable charges to get back charges fast then 1/day, thou to be honest I don't understand that, that seems the only point of recoverable charges.

Well, recoverable charges do allow more than one use a day, IIRC, as they allow you to recover charges you have used - I think.

As for not recoverable in combat, well, it does say it depends on sfx and, practically, if you start combat 'charged' and activate your strength, it lasts a turn, and you won't be able to start recoveringuntil it has gone. You need to take 30 STUN before it is fully charged, and I'd imagine you would be looking at at least half a turn for that. You CAN recover in combat (you practically have to) but it still takes a while - AND it is a pretty nasty way to have for recovering - taking damage. I'd allow it :)