Jedi Empathy

Jachra

At first I thought this was obvious. Telepathy, right?

However, then I saw that it would be easily blocked by mental defense AND was an active, intrusive sort of thing that alerted the figure.

For something that's a simple sense of the emotions around you, it's getting pretty expensive.

How about Detect Emotions, and it's possible to 'hide' ones emotions with an EGO roll?

(Otherwise, costs mount with Area of Effect, Invisible Power Effects (if permitted), armor piercing, 0 END, Persistent, OECV...)

(Note that I mean Jedi-LIKE. Not necessarily Jedi.)

Re: Jedi Empathy

A Detect works fine. In fact, there's been at least one argument that Telepathy could be replaced entirely with Detect Thoughts over the years. In the meantime in deference to Telepathy being a separate power I would only allow a Detect to get surface thoughts or general intents.

If you want to get fancy, Detect with an opposed RSR EGO vs EGO is an option however a roll on a roll gets clunky. The better option in my opinion is to treat every point of ECV the target has over the character as a -1 penalty to the Detect. You might consider also applying a -1 per 3 MD the target has.

So, if Jedi Guy has ECV 5 and Detect Thoughts 14-, then vs Weak Willed Target with ECV 3 they would suffer no penalty. However vs Strong Willed Target with ECV 6 they would suffer -1, and vs Sith Lord with ECV 8 and MD 20 they would suffer -10.

YMMV.