Optional Luck variants

Houston GM

Question

I have questions regarding a couple of the variant ways to use Luck.

Variant: Roll the Luck dice at the beginning of the session and add up the total. This amount may be added to or subtracted from rolls during the session.

1) Is the amount added/subtracted before or after the dice are rolled?

i.e. When making an attack roll, does the player announce how much luck is subtracted before rolling the dice, or can he/she wait until rolling to decide whether Luck is needed?

2) Is there a limit to how much can be added/subtracted with a given roll?

i.e. When rolling a 1d6+1 Killing Attack, the player adds 3 points, then roll 5 on the dice. This gives 3+5+1 = 9 Body from a 1d6+1 KA.

Variant: Roll the Luck dice at the beginning of the session and add up the total. This amount may be used to reroll individual dice during the session.

3) Is there a limit to how many times a particular dice can be rerolled?

i.e. When rolling a 1d6+1 KA, the first roll is a 1. On the reroll, the result is a 3. Can another reroll be used to try for a better result?

4) The rerolling specifies that the player rerolls until they get a "better" result. Does that specifically mean a higher/lower result?

i.e. When rolling for the hit location, the roll is 2, 2, 3. The player uses a reroll on the 3. A result of a 1 would be the best result, a 2 would be the worst result, a 4 would be no improvement, and a 5 or 6 would be an improvement.

1 answer to this question

Re: Optional Luck variants

Since these are optional rules, how to use and interpret them is up to the GM. However, you might want to look at the rules for Heroic Action Points in Pulp Hero, which are somewhat similar to some of these concepts and have detailed rules spelled out for their use.