Final Fantasy XI style Ninja Shadows

TheDux

Here is the idea:

Utsusemi: Ichi -These duplicate forms (shadows) that inhabit the same hex as the caster that the enemy can't/have trouble determining as the real character. The shadows do not attack and any successful physical attack destroys the a shadow before an attack can hit the character. The spell requires the use of a small paper focus that are kept in secret compartments of the costume. The focus is destroyed when used, but several focus are carried. The shadows do not make attacks. The spell takes extra time to cast and caster must have complete focus while casting. The spell has a short cool down time (thinking 1 whole turn). Autfire attacks can destroy all three shadows and if more attacks than shadows make contact the remaining succesful attacks deal damage.

First I was thinking Image, but really doesn't seem right. The second was a varition personal force field (at an extra cost, or required cost) that negates all damage for the next three attacks that has a SFX for multiple images character.

There is a second versions of the spell (Utsusem: Ni) that function the same but spell cast quicker and has a slightly longer cool down (full turn and a half). So you can see the need for both spells rather than buying up the first power.

In addition the character is a martial artist tank/brick that relies on avoiding damage rather than taking mass amounts of damage. The shadows are the main way to achieve this, but to support this (prevent shadows from being destroyed) the character has both high DEX and I am thinking of a power that adds DEX but only for DCV limitation that is always on. Would this be the right way to do it?

If someone could build the shadows and/or +DCV power or at least tell me if the +DCV power is on the right track, I will be very grateful.

Re: Final Fantasy XI style Ninja Shadows

+DCV is probably the best way to simulate the 'mirror images' effect, and it's the way I would build a power like this. Don't bother using disadvantaged Dex; you can buy +DCV or other combat skill levels with disadvantages, so long as they're at the 5-point level or above (conveniently, the same level at which DCV levels are applicable against both close-combat and ranged attacks).

I would build it as +X DCV levels, X number of continuing charges (however long the spell lasts if the effect is not expended), with the discontinue condition being defined as AoE attacks, and the disadvantage that the discontinue condition is expanded to any situation in which you are attacked thrice consecutively, or any combination that results in all three duplicates being 'popped'. Call it a -1/4 or -1/2, depending on how common AoE is in your campaign.

Cooldown isn't well-supported in vanilla HERO, but you could probably use some variant of Extra Time for that. If you have two slightly different versions of the spell, try making them multipower slots (if you already have a multipower for other spell abilities, so much the better).

Re: Final Fantasy XI style Ninja Shadows

Thanks alot! I went through the last several pages recently (just browsing, but with this in th back of my mind) and I didn't see it. Should have used search! Thanks again.

Short little blurbage:

Saddly FFXI was a less than great game, only stuck around because of great friends I met early during my "whats this game about, will I pay for it?" trial(great friends make sub par events amazingly fun).

But I recently had the idea of making a table top FFXI using HERO to build the classes. This would take some of the great game aspects (subjobs) and rework some dull ones (limited class customization, endless grind).

Anyway, any Hokuten Knights from Midgar, here is a shout from Layn/Makea:celebrate.