Interstellar Trade rules for Star Hero?

bobrunnicles

Hey guys,

Looking at hopefully starting up a 'tramp freighter' (aka Firefly-esque) campaign sometime in the hopefully not to distant future; the two prime contenders systemswise are GURPS and HERO, although it has to be said that upon an initial perusal the various interstellar trade rules in the GURPS Traveller & Spaceships books have a lot more 'crunch' than the few pages and small tables I've been able to find in Star Hero & Terran Empire (part of the reason I'm hunting for Traveller Hero in another thread) - does anyone have or know where I can find a more detailed treatement of the subject for Star Hero? Upon reflection it doesn't look like it would be too hard to customise the GURPS stuff and retrofit it to SH if needed, has anyone else tried doing anything like that?

It just seems funny to me that one of the biggest examples of SF-themed camapign styles out there (the PCs owning a small freighter and plying the spacelanes) doesn't have a more detailed treatment in the HERO universe. Or am I missing something obvious?

Bob

Re: Interstellar Trade rules for Star Hero?

You are not missing anything. I would just use a variant on the old Star Frontiers trading system. My players were not really interested in trade, going more for the epic struggle between good and evil. I never did finish a project I was working on to provide them with trading opportunities.

As another alternative, a very good friend of mine put together a generic RPG add-on for interstellar trade some years ago.

It is on my website - here is the link - http://members.ozemail.com.au/~iandl57/trade.html

At the very least, it has some good ideas and solid advice for refereeing a space trader style of game.

As another alternative, a very good friend of mine put together a generic RPG add-on for interstellar trade some years ago.

It is on my website - here is the link - http://members.ozemail.com.au/~iandl57/trade.html

At the very least, it has some good ideas and solid advice for refereeing a space trader style of game.

Thanks Ian! Some very useful stuff there - consider that page bookmarked. :thumbup:

The, er, music wasn't doing it for me though, sorry to say ;)

Thanks Ian! Some very useful stuff there - consider that page bookmarked. :thumbup:

The, er, music wasn't doing it for me though, sorry to say ;)

You're most welcome. Glad to help.

The music was by the same guy. Don't care that much for it myself, but he did compose it specifically for my site gratis, so ....