Dangerous Velocities

Shocker

Question

I have a number of related questions dealing with velocity and its effects when things go bad:

1) A high Speed person grabs a target while flying at say 30". Before the target can react the flier lets him go into a wall. How to calculate damage on the poor target assuming the wall cannot break?

2) A speedster is running at same 30" and is suddenly stunned by a mental attack (or any non-Knockback attack). Does he fall at 30" and take damage? Does it matter if this occurs on his acting Phase or on a non-acting Segment?

3) Same question as #2 above but assume that the speedster in question is falling while travelling towards a wall as opposed to on a flat surface.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

For full-fledged discussion of and rules for these topics you’re going to have to wait for The Ultimate Speedster,[/i but in the meantime I can provide a few stopgap answers.

1. As if the victim were performing a Move Through with 0 STR — IOW, he takes Move Through damage based solely on velocity.

2. There are no existing rules for what happens if a character loses control of his movement this way; technically, he immediately stops moving in the hex he was in when attacked, and that’s that (he doesn’t take damage or the like). If you want you could have him tumble along the ground in the direction he was moving, decelerating at 5” per hex moved; if he happens to hit something, see (1) re: damage. A flying character would instead start falling (perhaps in some sort of ballistic arc if you want to be “realistic”), for which you can use the falling rules.

3. If the character was falling before he keeps falling; being Stunned doesn’t change that.