About Detect Magic (FH)

Crypt

Re: About Detect Magic (FH)

I would figure that the magical stink would be subject to range penalties for detection, though you could have the magic drop off faster or slower, depending on how your world works.

JoeG

As Detect is, by default, No Range so it is not subject to range penalties. So if a source is supposed to radiates, it must be AoE or Explosive in order to get the following scene = the mage, whose Detect has no range, feels a light magical presence where he stands. If he moves (in the right direction) the feeling becomes stronger.

Range is another story. The default Detect would find nothing out of the stinky area. It would need range.

Because the default explosion means a -5AP/hex and we said that the stink gives +1PER/10AP so, by default, the PER bonus would dissipates are the rate of 1 PER for each 2 hexes from the source.

But i would use AoE or Explosion only for very potent artefacts, magical nods, demi-gods who stink a lot (feel the presence of Sauron, etc...) so default Detect still only detects the magic of an "average" item at 1" or less.

What you need is a simple system, that works - ideally.

Are you wedded to the idea of paying for 'quieter' spells?

One option is to borrow the DnD idea of a 'Silent' metaspell - built in Hero as IPE with a contested PER roll as a naked advantage.

I still think that you are better off with a modifier to the Magic Roll to cast the spell in the first place - then highly skilled practitioners could cast spells that are quieter than the same spell cast by someone with less skill - if they wanted - and you could do that on a case by case basis.

Of course it all depends if you are looking to modify an existing magic system or build a new one.

I still think that you are better off with a modifier to the Magic Roll to cast the spell in the first place - then highly skilled practitioners could cast spells that are quieter than the same spell cast by someone with less skill - if they wanted - and you could do that on a case by case basis.

that's a possibility......arrrrghh too many possibilities !!! :P

This is what I do in my campaign. It's not based on active points but rather a subjective DM assessment.

Very faint, residual aura: -6

Residual aura of more powerful magic: -5 – 0

Magic Trinket: -4

Very weak, one-use item: -3

Weak, one-use item: -2

Medium – Strong, one-use item: -1 – 0

Weak - Strong, charged item: -1 - +2

Weak, permanent item: 0

Medium – strong permanent item: +1 - +3

Very strong permanent item: +4

Artifact: +5 - +6

I don't have any rules for hiding magic, but I suppose you could always take IPE: Detect if you really wanted to.