Vox

jkwleisemann

A little villain for Vox to play with. Let the anachronisms duke it out. ;)

[b]Vaudevillain - Mortimer Calhoun[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
15    CON     10   15      12-
13    BODY    6   13      12-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
20    EGO     20   20      13-       ECV: 7
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
8    PD      5   8/16             8/16 PD (0/8 rPD)
6    ED      3   6/14             6/14 ED (0/8 rED)
5    SPD     17   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     8   10
40    END     5   40
35    STUN    6   35
8    RUN      4   8"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
5    LEAP     2   5"                5" forward, 2 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 155[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
56     [b][i]Vaudeville Tricks[/i][/b]: Multipower, 70-point reserve,  (70 Active Points); all slots Requires A Vaudeville Routines Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i]Lucky Pratfalls[/i][/b]: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (50 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Falls prone; -1/2), Requires A Vaudeville Routines Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) [Notes: Falls out of the way; attack ricochets into new target.] - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i]Who's On First[/i][/b]: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works against Intelligence (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (69 Active Points); Entangle Has 1 BODY (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Requires A Vaudeville Routines Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) - END=7
3u     3)  [b][i]Eight balls at once, ladies and gents![/i][/b]: Energy Blast 7d6, 4 clips of 8 Charges (+0), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (70 Active Points); OAF (Bags of Balls; -1), Requires A Vaudeville Routines Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) - END=[8]
4u     4)  [b][i]Horribly Bad Puns/Jokes[/i][/b]: Ego Attack 7d6 (Human class of minds) (70 Active Points); Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Vaudeville Routines Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) - END=7
16     [b][i]Armored Costume[/i][/b]: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
15     Luck 3d6 - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 100[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Vaudeville-fu
4      1)  Eye-Poke:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 9d6
3      2)  Trip:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 +v/5, Target Falls
5      3)  Head Bonk:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 Strike
4      4)  Tickling the Funny Bone:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2d6 NND
20      5)  +5 HTH Damage Class(es)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 36[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Jack of All Trades
2      1)  PS: Comedian (3 Active Points) 13-
2      2)  PS: Dancer (3 Active Points) 14-
2      3)  PS: Juggler (3 Active Points) 14-
2      4)  PS: Mime (3 Active Points) 13-
2      5)  PS: Singer (3 Active Points) 13-
     Vaudevillian
3      1)  Acrobatics 14-
3      2)  Acting 13-
3      3)  Breakfall 14-
3      4)  Contortionist 14-
3      5)  Disguise 14-
3      6)  KS: Vaudeville History 14-
7      7)  Power:  Vaudeville Routines 16-
3      8)  Sleight Of Hand 14-
3      9)  Teamwork 14-
3      10) Ventriloquism 14-
12      11) +4 with Vaudeville-fu

[b]SKILLS Cost: 59[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Dependent NPC:  Sweet Maggie Dalton (fan and girlfriend) 11- (Incompetent)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Glory hound and showboater (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Proud/hates to be insulted (Very Common, Moderate)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Killing (Common, Total)
10     Reputation:  Obsessive Vaudeville Fanatic, 11-
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Mortimer Calhoun) (Frequently, Major)
5     Money:  Poor
15     Hunted:  Cavalier 11- (As Pow, Capture)
20     Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10     Distinctive Features:  Dresses 50+ years out of date (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Always dressed in old suits, hats, usually carrying a cane, occasionally wears a cape]
5     Rivalry:  Professional (Vox), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

Background: "Mortimer Calhoun is an anachronism. A charming throwback to the era of vaudeville stars, the fact that his art died out about fifty years ago doesn't seem to have dissuaded him from his course. I have to admire his dedication, but I'm afraid that I can't recommend his show, unless you too are looking for a nostalgic throwback to a bygone era... but hey, what am I saying? You're listening to my show. Of course you are."

And that was the best review he got... albeit, in Mortimer's eyes, the most scathing. He'd sunk most of his life's savings into restoring the Majesty Theatre, trying to get a vaudeville revival going. But nine out of ten audience members - literally - his opening night had been critics... and they'd all been getting in on comp tickets. The only person there who hadn't been comp'ed was Maggie... his sweet, faithful Maggie, who'd always tried to encourage him.

Mortimer turned off the radio and buried his face in his hands. What was he supposed to do? The review had been right... he *was* an anachronism. A creature of a bygone era, gone out along with radio plays and Norman Rockwell. Movies had replaced the vaudeville star, and even if he could talk somebody in Vegas into hosting his show... he'd be replaced by a ventriloquist within a week. That was the sad part, really - that *ventriloquists* were more popular than he was. Now, granted, he *was* one himself... but he was *more* than that.

It was enough to drive a man mad, really... and, in many ways, it did. It was a small step at first, a bill he couldn't pay, a threat to his precious theatre. Mortimer dressed up, put on a mask, and pulled off his first bank heist. While he might have been an anachronism on the stage, in the world of crime he had potential. He quickly found ways to put his skills to use, twisting them around so that he could make some money. As things progressed, and he became more bitter, he expanded his repertoire - he went after the radio host who'd given him that scathing, if positive, review. He was stopped by a new hero, Vox - and a rivalry was born that hasn't ended since, the two representatives of dead arts both trying to one-up each other in the field. Of course, Cavalier hadn't taken it so well - the materialistic hero did *not* take being publicly humiliated by "some joker in a ratty suit" well, and he's been dogging 'Vaudevillain' ever since, right along with VIPER, who didn't take well to being double-crossed in the middle of a robbery (when one of the Dragon Squad went after a bystander, Vaudevillain was instrumental in stopping him, and turning the whole lot in to the police, costing them a newly established Nest.)

Now, Vaudevillain conducts a one-man war against modern entertainment, stealing relics of his beloved art, and money to keep his theatre going (though, due to the cost of maintenance, he's always short cash). Through it all, Sweet Maggie stands by him... though why she's so accepting of his criminal behavior, nobody (not even Mortimer) quite knows.

"Good sir, if people would merely acknowledge a finer art than any portrayed on screens these days, I'd gladly give up my life of crime. But as they won't, I have only one question for you... who's on first?"

Appearance: A man of fairly non-descript appearance, Mortimer is *somehwat* handsome, but usually stands out instead because he dresses like a reject from a period piece on vaudeville - plaid searsucker suits and corduroy pants are his usual uniform, with an added cape, domino mask, and straw hat added when he goes out as Vaudevillain.