The REALLY important 6th Edition question

nexus

Re: The REALLY important 6th Edition question

This is an element of good scenario design: it's usually a really bad idea to have only one way to progress a story and in the campaigns I post to the web, I always include notes to the GM on how to move the story forward if the PCs screw up or do something utterly unexpected.

Choke points are generally a bad thing I agree. And notoriously easy to unknowingly slip into scenarios. There should generally be more than one way to give at a vital clue or other information than a single deduction or die roll. Any type of success or failure based on a single binary occurrence might be tense but isn't necessarily dramatic.

Though I do think victory/success should not be assured in most conflict/obstacle situations. The PCs should be able to screw things up to the point success is impossible or Pyrrhic and useless at best. The ability to fail, IMO, is an important aspect indistiguishing role playing games from shared fiction creating, maintain both tension and drama and the game aspect of role playing game. Not to mention a sense free will (for lack of a better term) among the players, their descisions and actions matter. Being railroaded to success is still being railroaded.

But I digress from what was being discussed I think

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic