Love & Hate

Crypt

After reading some selected parts of Hero 6 i come to some general conclusions about this game.

It's still the best construction toolkit ever. The power construction details are probably better than in the previous edition.:)

But it will never be the Grail game i'd like to see...That's dramatic :(

There are two reasons:

- Resolutions methods, mainly the 3D6 roll low one. When i compare them to an extremely homogeneic game like Earthdawn where fumbles, open-ended, results levels, the step=average logic and the fact that actions and effects are on the same scale.... the ones from Hero look so old.

- Scales and complexity. This is the deepest problem, the one i really really hate. I have no fun with divisions. When i think about logarithmic games like EABA or MEGS, Hero looks awfully old and unnecessarily complex. I hoped the 6th ed. would be a bit more logarithmic so we no longer need to divide movement, CVs or the like. But actually it seems to fall a bit more on the linear ugly side. In the name of simplicity negative CHARS have been removed. STR from 0 to 4 no longer follow the +5=*2 scale and one of the consequence is an exception in the note about lightweight objects (book 2 page 81.) Honestly, i firmly believe that exceptions only bring complexity.

I hoped the 6th would use the exponential VF as a core mechanism instead of an option.....but actually it was removed and we have to divide meters by 6 when moving through.

Divide by 6....that's so sexy....:(

This game is so old....there are too many fans....i'm afraid it will never change.

It could be so great if it had learned some lessons from other games...

But i don't want to leave it because no other game has such a powerfull set of building rules, no other game elevates the reasoning from effect philosophy as high as Hero.

So i have two optimistic questions =

- The easier one = i already use a roll high resolution method (2d6-2d6 with open-ended) but i still think there is more fun with Successes count (like in Burning Wheel or Shadowrun) or exotic ones like in Earthdawn.

So my question is = did someone made something like that ? Do you have an url ?

- Now the hard and very important question = i remember that someone, months ago, gave an url to a logarithmic modification of Hero. Does someone remember what this url was ?

I don't want to argue about the Hero philosophy. I'd just liked to save it, for me.