Next 2 campaign projects decided upon

Bismark

Soon the new academic year starts, and it will be time to set up a new FH campaign for it.

Owing to the timing of 6e and the launch dates of the support books, this year's project will be a 5e campaign with a few 6e features grafted on (I will delete COM and measure ranges in metres).

This year's campaign will be set in the 1st edition Forgotten Realms (yes, the 1987 'grey boxed set' version) - when it was a 'sandbox' setting rather than being crushed under the weight of its own canon.

I have one player so far - who will be playing an Earth Genasi (appropriately enough, he will be the party 'Brick').

The real test of the idea will be in 3 weeks' time when the first RPG session of the term starts; I need to get players. Some years that has been decidedly difficult - last year things started off well but 'real life' whittled our players down to one (:(), which made a campaign unsustainable - and from 2000-2003 there were too many aspiring GMs and not enough players to go around. The inaccurate perception of HERO as difficult does not help either (although I like to think that I have done a lot to squash that perception here over the last 5 years :)).

If I cannot get enough players for a HERO campaign, I will probably not bother running anything this year and probably end up playing instead (the first time since 2002 that I have only played) - and it will probably end up being D&D 4e for some "old skool" monster-bashing goodness.

I already have an idea for the 2010-2011 academic year - and that is a 6e campaign set in the 4e Forgotten Realms. This will take a lot of preparation, which is why I will be doing it in the hope that 'if you build it they will come'.

Re: Next 2 campaign projects decided upon

I work in academic publishing and one of my clients is based at the university, but basically I am just "sad old git with no real life" (;)) who lives right near the university I graduated from 24 years ago.

I still have a lifetime membership of the Students Union - which runs the Roleplaying society, among many others.