Free Online voice chat program

incrdbil

I highly recomend skype. Its free, very easy to use; it requires no set up server you have to pay for. It works as a handy IM program as well, sends files, etc.

http://www.skype.com/

I've foudn it to be easier to use and frendlier in impact on performance than ventrilo, which would require someone to have a server.

It really makes teaming so much better.

Re: Free Online voice chat program

Skype does not guarantee privacy, there's a rather big to-do over this especially in countries where the governments have plainly said they're allowed to eavesdrop on Skype conversations with Skype's blessing and needing nobody else's. China obviously comes to mind, but Australia is on that list as well.

I don't believe anybody can truly be anonymous or have total privacy on the internet, but the fact that they don't even give lip-service to the notion of private discussions troubles me. Skype won't even be up front and candid about this; interviews with Kurt Sauer, Skype's security CO, include such quotes as "I will not tell you whether we listen or not". Skype brings with it multiple security issues, and worst of all, may actively include backdoor access - note that even when turned off, it continues to send traffic and Skype has gone to great lengths to obfuscate their traffic and program function.

http://www.fsf.org/ - the Free Software Foundation - considers replacement for Skype a top priority for these and many other reasons.