Dropping Mini-Mines

Fedifensor

Okay, I know this would be considered sacrilege on the official Champions Online boards, but I decided to respec out of mini-mines tonight.

Yes, they did good damage, with the potential for more (I only had them at Rank 1, and didn't have Wall of Fire). However, the big problem is that they didn't work like mines. I could go into a group of bad guys and drop the mines, doing lots of damage but draining my energy in the process. Or, I could drop them in advance of combat, regenerate some energy, start the fight, and...where did my mines go? They don't really last long enough to use as a setup move, which makes them more of a point-blank nuke than a mine.

Instead, I switched to Force Shield, picked up the Force Sheath advantage, and put Accelerated Metabolism on Two-Gun Mojo. Instead of dropping mini-mines at the beginning of a fight, I drop a few sonic arrows (with the AoE advantage), turtle for a few seconds with Force Shield, and the next thing I know I'm at max energy and ready to hammer foes with my big attacks.

So, did I miss something about mini-mines? Or is it just a difference in playstyle? I can always pick them up later, though Lead Tempest and Orbital Cannon sound more interesting to me right now.

Re: Dropping Mini-Mines

Yes, the mini-mines didn't last very long and so weren't useful for laying traps to draw mobs into. The Particle Mine from Gadgeteering lasts longer if you want something like that. Try it in the PH. It does have a longer recharge time.

I'm not sure what the logic behind mini-mines was. I usd them on Ninja Gecko beaus I watched how effective they were for Angry Fairy and I didn't have any AOE attacks inthe claws line. Ninjutsu is an adaptabl art form. :D But I've respecced to dual swords and droppd mini mines myself, not because they werent useful but rather because they didnt fit my concept.

Yes' date=' the mini-mines didn't last very long and so weren't useful for laying traps to draw mobs into. The Particle Mine from Gadgeteering lasts longer if you want something like that. Try it in the PH. It does have a longer recharge time.[/quote']

I may try Particle Mine, though I'm torn between that and Orbital Cannon.

By the way, mini-mines have been hit hard on the test server - something like a 75% reduction in damage, and a longer cooldown. Particle Mine got a slight reduction as well.

Orbital Cannon is very good if used right (it takes a couple seconds to activate' date=' and several more seconds to actually hit, but it's got range 100 and high damage, so it's a good combat starter).[/quote']

And it can be used indoors. Large Blast attack with the Indirect advantage?