Telekinesis DCs

prestidigitator

Question

I thought the rules for damage and DCs in 6E was greatly simplified. 5 APs in a power = 1 DC of damage. I'd think this would apply no matter what Power is used to do the damage: Str, HA, EB, HKA, RKA, Mental Blast, TK, any of the above with AVAD/NND, etc. However, during discussions some question has arisen where Telekinesis is concerned. 60 points of TK gives 40 TK Str, which does 8d6 of Normal Damage. Is this considered 12 DCs of damage because it is 60 APs in the base power that causes the damage, or is it considered 8 DCs of damage because it is 8d6 of Normal Damage?

Thanks Steve!

1 answer to this question

Re: Telekinesis DCs

Hmmm, good question.

As written, and for the sake of consistency, the standard rule applies, making it 12 DCs. However, from a gameplay standpoint, I think many GMs would be perfectly comfortable ruling that it’s only 8 DCs, and I certainly wouldn’t send the Gaming Police after them just for that. ;) If you analogize Telekinesis to “STR with the Ranged Advantage,” and note that Ranged (+½) generally isn’t considered to be an Advantage that “directly affects how the victim takes damage,” from a practical perspective it works just fine as “8 DCs.”