Focus on Vehicle

Agent X

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Do you mean to apply that to the points paid by the character, or to certain abilities of the Vehicle itself?

Well, it would be applied to the points paid by the character. Can't use the vehicle without the key. Someone else can use the vehicle with the key. However, I'm not planning on actually doing this. This was more of a, "Hey, why didn't they consider this when they came up with vehicle construction?" kind of thing.

Actually, when writing my portions of TUV, I did consider the general question about using keys for Vehicles -- I didn't think of this specific mechanic, but I did consider many options.

Applying the Focus rule to Vehicle would mean that you always have access to the Vehicle whenever you have the Focus. If I drive to a building and go in the front door, then exit out the back door, I have the focus with me and can immediately drive away. This mechanic would be potentially possible (for example, a fold-up car, or even certain vehicles small enough to be carried, like an electric scooter or a Segway), but it doesn't really work for keys.

The general lock-and-key setup is better modeled using Security Systems and/or Lockpicking.

Of course, I can't speak to why this wasn't considered when the Vehicle rules were originally created. I'd assume that the aspects of Focus one has for carrying a key are figured into the 5:1 cost break for having a Vehicle in the first place.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Actually, when writing my portions of TUV, I did consider the general question about using keys for Vehicles -- I didn't think of this specific mechanic, but I did consider many options.

Applying the Focus rule to Vehicle would mean that you always have access to the Vehicle whenever you have the Focus. If I drive to a building and go in the front door, then exit out the back door, I have the focus with me and can immediately drive away. This mechanic would be potentially possible (for example, a fold-up car, or even certain vehicles small enough to be carried, like an electric scooter or a Segway), but it doesn't really work for keys.

The general lock-and-key setup is better modeled using Security Systems and/or Lockpicking.

Of course, I can't speak to why this wasn't considered when the Vehicle rules were originally created. I'd assume that the aspects of Focus one has for carrying a key are figured into the 5:1 cost break for having a Vehicle in the first place.

Hmmm, Hero doesn't usually assume much and you would think that they wouldn't go with "it's understood." Especially considering the options available: wagons and sailing vessels with no key, vehicles with a regular key, vehicles with sensor keys, vehicles that recognize authorized users through biorythyms/voice, etc.

I'll read up in my TUV. Frankly, all I've done is stare at a couple of vehicles. I haven't read any of the expanded vehicle rules. Guess I'll just have to ask my players how they start their engines.:)

I would personally consider a key just Special Effects. I think the vehicle itself goes more along the lines of a Focus. What I mean is, the character shouldn't lose it permenently without getting reimbursed (unless it is Independant), no character who hasn't spent some points toward it should get the permenant use of it, and the character can define reasonable rules about who else can use it.

For example, the character could decide that only (s)he can use it because it has a retinal scanner. The benefit of this would be that the vehicle can't be stolen very easily (might take Security Systems or something). The drawback is that a teammate cannot be loaned the vehicle, or maybe even drive it. How about a key?

• Gina: "Oops! Torro fell in the lake and can't swim, but I can't use his boat to go save him because the key is in his pocket."
  • Paul: "Don't worry. He gave me a copy."
  • Daze: "I have one too. Oops! Maybe not. Argh! Snake must have taken it. Where is the boat, anyway?"

A vehicle which anyone can use has similar benefits/drawbacks. It can be freely used when there is need, but can also be stolen without breaking a sweat.