Adjustments

Sean Waters

Idea: you know if you drain 'Desolidification' you need 40 points of effect before anything happens but then all 40 have to fade before it comes back on?

Well, how about a +0 advantage that requires a 'threshold' limit before an adjustment takes place, for powers that work in increments.

For example if you had 2d6 drain (10 points of STR), you roll your 2d6, get a 7. Normally a 15 STR would be down to 8...but not with the +0 Threshold advantage. Next phase another roll of 7...so you have hit the threshold of 10 points and the target LOSES 10 STR. Total effect 12 points - but those other 2 points are ignored, for now. End of phase, 5 points fade - but ebcause there is a threshold, we lsoe the 2 'extra' points first, then 3 of the 10. The STR will only return once the FULL 10 points have faded, so end of next turn another 5 go (leaving 2) and end of third PS12 the final 2 go and the 10 STR returns.

Seems to me this is a useful way of building some effects. It also means that you trade off some immediate benefit (i.e. the loss of a few points initially) for the effect lasting longer. Arguably you can do the same thing with 'reduced fade rate' but this is FAR more controllable and tuneable.

I've used negative adjustment but the same could apply to positive adjustment pwoers.

I'd also allow a -1 limitation on adjustment dice 'Only to increase effect duration'.

In the above case if you had 2d6 STR Drain (Threshold 10 points) PLUS 2d6 'Increased Duration Only' dice the cost would be 20 + (20/(1+1)) = 30 points. You roll the two sets of dice seperately BUT the extra time only dice have to fade completely before the 'normal' dice start to fade. This allows you to create a smaller effect (or a set effect with 'threshold') lasts longer than it normally would.

Thoughts?

Re: Adjustments

I like it as well. I'll have to try and remember this. You may need to limit the allowed threshold values to multiples of 5 to prevent it being too much of an advantage. For example a threshold of 6 compared to a fade rate of 5 could be too useful. I guess you'd need to test this and see.

(Apparently I need to spread some reputation around as well.)