UOO and Instant Powers

GMumford

Question

6e p353-360 describes UOO advantages with a constant effect. There isn’t much regarding applying UOO to Instant Powers; references to Teleportation and EDM UAA, Barrier UBN, and Spell Of The Burning Blade on p348, but no definite rule that I could find. I just want to be certain I’m interpreting this right.

Sword from thin air: HKA 2d6; UBO (+¼). Total cost: 37

1. Which of the following is true:

(a.) UOO advantages are constant. The target can swing the sword as much as he likes. No additional advantages are needed to apply, to UBO, modifiers requiring a constant power.

(b.) UOO advantages have a constant effect.. The target can swing the sword as much as he likes. Modifiers requiring a constant power cannot be applied.

(c.) UOO advantages effect becomes instant when applied to instant powers. The caster and target must coordinate their actions so the conclusion of the casting coincides with each blow of the sword.

2. Does your answer change if a Differing Modifier were applied?

1 answer to this question

Re: UOO and Instant Powers

1. Whether a power granted to a recipient via UBO or the like is Instant, Constant, or Persistent is irrelevant — they all work the same from a UBO perspective. The grantor grants the power. Once the power’s granted, the recipient can use it, following the power’s own duration rules, until some condition ends the grant (he surrenders it, the grantor who’s retained control takes it back, LOS is required and lost, he’s Knocked Out, or the like). See the bottom right paragraph on 6E1 355 for further discussion. To use your example, if Grantor grants Recipient a “sword from thin air” HKA, Recipient can continue using the HKA, activating it each Phase since it’s an Instant Power, as long as he likes until something brings the grant to an end.

2. No.