Collaborative World Ending…

5lippers

Re: Collaborative World Ending…

Hi All,

In case you're interested, below are some further notes on the magic-systems. Commentsd welcome as always!

The sorts of magic that are on the list so far are:

Alchemy: present in the World Before, and more of a science. Effects will depend on the ingredients used and will draw from a predetermined list (which I’ll make up and track as we go along, rather than beforehand because it’s easier!). Without these ingredients, you can’t produce the potions/poisons. Alchemy is also required for the preparation of the drug which suppresses the subconscious block, allowing people to channel magic. If the drug is badly prepared, it is dangerous as the user may lose control of the channelled magic part-way through, producing something else.

Channelling: channelling requires the channeller to ingest a pre-prepared herb/drug which suppresses their subconscious block, allowing them to channel magical power more effectively. The herb takes a while to take effect and only lasts for a set period of time. In game terms I’m thinking along the lines of charges which only last a limited time (custom limitation) and are only ‘recharged’ by taking the drug. Greater AP spells will also use up more charges. I’ll probably allow spells under certain APs (20 APs max) to be cast without using the drug, although they may be limited in some other way. I need to think a bit more about power-frameworks to get a nice balance between flavour and the risk of utility casters gaming the system. When a caster loses control of a channelled spell, it takes on a life of its own…

Witch-doctoring/Healing: This will also follow the something taken, something given rule: basically, magical healing isn’t ‘free’ and you cannot heal someone without sacrifice. To heal someone, the ‘health’ must be channelled from something else. Mechanically, all healing-type powers must be linked powers that are reliant upon a successful drain. To heal BODY, the BODY must be drained from something else. The healed BODY is permanent for the target, but the loss isn’t permanent for the victim. The rate of exchange won’t be great through (e.g. 5 pts of BODY healed might require 10pts to be drained). Not sure about replacing lost limbs yet. It’ll either be banned or, in keeping with the dark tone, require acts such as amputating a healthy limb from another and magically grafting onto the target. Need to think about this aspect a little more. Witch doctors may also have access to other powers following the classic archetypal powers for tribal wise men and women.

Faith-based magic: not sure about this yet, but Mark Docs suggestions are great and so I’m going to borrow a lot of those ideas!

One possible source for ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun

Thanks for the link Ian. Evil GM aside, the brief Darksun campaign that I played many years ago had loads of potential and i just wish it (well my charcters) could have lasted .

Anything with cannibalistic Halflings, and properly ‘primal’ and savage elven raiders is alright in my book… :eg:

Shucks, I'd play this!

cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark,

Hopefully, when I've pinched a few more of your ideas, it'll be even better! :D

I think this may be post #50 so rep for all the input/info on your campaign should be coming your your way!