Justice Inc. solo!

RJB

A long, LONG, time ago when hero products still came in boxes and comics cost less than a buck (yes, THAT long ago) a number of game systems tried the 'programable adventure' format. For the younger among you, it worked like this: read a numbered paragraph, make a decision, then go to the specified paragraph. In short, the book was the GM, and the reader the player. Hero did this twice, once in Champions and once in Justice Inc.

Should it be revived? Where I am (western Montana) there are no hero players at all, let alone Pulp players, and pbem just doesn't do it for me. Too darn slow. Who wants to try? I'll go first:

Make a 100pt character. How you make it is irrelevant. When you are done, go to #5.

#1 Roll your damage dice. If it is enough to stun Petrie, you escape from the table. now you may:

Beat the crap out of Petrie Go to #6

Put him on the table and throw the switch! Now YOU take it Petrie! Go to #7

#2 The blinding pain from the proceedure drives you mad and causes you to go into cardiac arrest. You die. The end.

#3 PULP HEROES DO NOT BEG!! Go to #2 ya pantywaist!

#4 It is incredibly painful. Make an ego roll. If you fail, go to #2. If you succeed, go to #8

#5- You wake up. You remember the drinking and the sharp blow to the back of the head, but not much else. Looking around, you realize you've been in worse fixes, but you can't remember when off hand. You are strapped to an operating table. To your left is a tray filled with surgical instruments. Above you is some kind of ray device. To your right is Dr. Jennings Petrie. "HA HA! At last you are awake! Good! EXCELLENT!! It would be useless to turn you from man into superman without testing your pain threshold while we're at it! Prepare yourself! A boundless future of wonder awaits you, if the pain doesnt drive you mad as it has so many others!"

Dr. Petrie starts turning on his machine. You must make a quick decision!

Your legs are still free! Give him a good swift kick and go to #1

You think you can get your left hand free to throw the surgical instruments at Petrie. Make a dex roll. If you succeed, Petrie takes 1d6 killing. If he takes 4 or more BOD, he will retreat, and you are free. Give yourself an experience point. If you fail your dex or he takes 3 or less Bod, go to #2

Beg for mercy! Go to #3

Lay back and enjoy the ride! Go to #4

#6 Petrie blubbers and cowers like the lily livered ivory tower coward he is! You give him a thrashing he will never forget! Give yourself an experience point.

#7 It worked! Petrie is a genius! The ray adds 10 to all his base stats, and these increase his fig stats! He is, however, even madder than before and wants to eat you. As he rushes you, he knocks something over and starts a fire. With the flames rising around you, the two of you fight like maddened beasts! Roll the battle!

If you beat him in less than two turns, go to #9

If it takes longer than two turns, or if you lose, go to #10

#8 You feel the rush of millions of cells dividing, multiplying in your body as you become bigger, stronger, faster! Petrie's eyes nearly bug out of his head as you lift him by the throat with one mighty hand and go to #6

#9 Choking and nearly half blind, you make it outside and turn to watch the lab go up in flames. Surely, nobody could have survived that! Give yourself an experience point.

#10 You burn to death. The end.

I did all this off the top of my head in about 10 minutes. I can do something much longer, but I wonder if the forum will allow it. Let me know what you think!