Campaign City ideas

BlueCloud2k2

I'm in the process of setting up a Champions campaign, and am trying to figure out what City to use as a playground... er... location for my campaign to take place. Then it hit me harder than Grond's fists at full rage: make something up.

So here's an idea for those who are interested to share feedback (positive or negative):

In 2003, 10 miles off of the coast of Delaware and Island suddenly appeared. It wasn't there one day, and the next it was. The island was approximately 300 square miles in area and occupied by a sizable city. The city was unoccupied, had no markings or signs of any sort, and was devoid of machinery. All of the buildings in the city were empty shells - they had elevator shafts, ventilation systems, plumbing, etc - but not the machines/equipment needed to regulate said systems.

After much study (I'm thinking 5 years) by the U.S.A. the city was opened up to the public for habitation. To help bolster the economy and raise revenue for the Middle-East conflicts, The US Gov't bid out most of the buildings to private interests and established a temporary civic government with the plan that by November 2 2012 free elections would take place.

Ideas I'm currently looking for are:

What should the name of the city be?

What state would the city belong to, or would it be considered a District akin to Washington DC?

Where the City came from (mainly looking for ideas to help flesh-out what I have planned).

Any other realistic concearns (obvious flaws in my idea).

Your feedback is appreciated