Adjusting Linked Powers

Gideon

Question

I am a little confused about how adjusting (specifically draining or suppressing) proportionately linked powers works.

I have always been under the impression that if I have two linked powers, that if the greater power (the one being linked to) is drained you loose the ability to use a proprtionate amount of the lesser power.

EX: I have light blast: 8d6 blast (total cost: 40 points), plus Sight Group Flash 4d6 (50 active points); Linked (-1/2) (total cost: 13 points). Total cost: 53 points.

Whenever I use my blast, I may use up to, but no more than, the same number of dice of flash.

If I choose to use only 6 dice of blast, I may only use 3 dice of flash.

My blast (and only my blast) is drained 10 CP, leaving me with a 6d6 blast. Therefore even though my flash isn't actually drained, I can only use 3d6 due to the restrictions of linked.

I was told in this thread that I am wrong. http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/79787-Only-in-Hero-ID/page4

If my blast is drained, then the full strength of the power becomes the new adjusted value. Thus using the above example after being drained, if I use 6d6 of my blast, I can still use up to 10d6 of my flash. The reasoning is that this is now proportionate. 100% of my blast is now 6d6, however 100% of my flash is still 10d6.

Looking in the books I have found the following:

The information on 6E1 page 385 refers to a character choosing to use his power at "half strength".

Adjustment powers (6E1 page 135) say that: "these powers temporarily alter a character's powers and/or characteristics by adding to, or subtracting from, the number of active points in them."

Drain (6E1 195) specifically says: "A character with Drain can temporarily lower the value of one of an opponent's Characteristics or Powers."

Neither the entry on adjustment powers, nor the entry on drain indicate whether the newly adjusted value of the power counts as the "full strength" of the power or not.

The main reason for my question is based the ability to link to constant powers.

EX: Compacted Mass: Shrinking (.15 m tall [about 6 inches], .5 kg mass, -8 Per Rolls to Perceive Character, +8 DCV, takes +24m KB), Costs End Only to Activate (+1/4) (30 Active points) (Total cost: 30 points) plus Density Increase (1,600 kg mass, +20 STR, -8m KB, + 4 PD/4 ED), Costs End Only to Activate (+1/4) (20 Active Points) Linked (Linked Jointly, greater power is constant) (-1/4) (Total cost: 16 points) Total cost: 46 points.

When using this power for each "level" of shrinking that is activated a "level" of density increase is also activated. Thus if the character chooses to use only 2 "levels" of Shrinking he can only use 2 "levels" of Density Increase.

So If I am correct about how linked works, if this character had all of his shrinking and density increase active, and his shrinking was drained (a growth gun for example), his density increase would be forced to drop proportionately with it. (Which I believe thematically makes sense)

If the other version of how linked works is correct though, as long as the character's shrinking has not been drained to 0AP, he retains use of all of his Density Increase.

Regardless of my opinions on thematic sense, which version is correct?

Also, how would this effect powers that are linked using the 1/4 more limitation: Lesser power can only be used when character uses greater power at full value?

1 answer to this question

Re: Adjusting Linked Powers

Adjustment Powers affect a power built with Linked as if it’s two powers. The character using the Adjustment Power has to target one of the powers — typically the greater power, though it may depend on special effects, the attacker’s knowledge of the target’s powers, and other factors.

For example, let’s suppose a character has a Lightning Bolt Spell (RKA 2d6 + Linked Flash 4d6). A character with Drain Magic 3d6, Variable Effect (any one Magic power at a time; +1/2), has to choose whether to Drain the RKA or the Flash — he can’t affect both at once. (A GM who wants to deal with the additional complication could split the Drain effect between the two powers if he wanted to, but that’s not the default rule.) If his power could affect “any two Magic powers at once” (Expanded Effect + Variable Effect; +1), then he could Drain both powers at the same time.

The standard rules on the proportionality of Linked powers (6E1 385) still apply. Draining a greater power doesn’t affect a character’s ability to use the lesser power at all, and for purposes of determining proportionality you determine a power’s “full strength” based on its current (Adjusted) cost. Continuing the above example, suppose the RKA 2d6 were Drained 10 points, making it an RKA 1d6+1. If the character uses the RKA at its current full strength (1d6+1), he can still use the full Flash 4d6 even though the RKA is normally an RKA 2d6; if he only uses the RKA at half strength, he can only use Flash 2d6.

I think that answers your questions; if I overlooked something, please post a follow-up.