A question about adding DCs

Zephrosyne

Question

I tried to search and see if this has been asked before but I didn't see that it had. In 6E2 pg. 102, there is an example in the first column that I can't quite get a grasp of. It is the example regarding the character, Smashtacular, with his Advantaged Strength. Now according to the example, when he performed his Haymaker, his damage increased from 8d6 to 10 1/2d6. That is an increase of 2 and half DCs. However, since Double Knockback is a +1/2 Advantage and the Haymaker adds only 4DCs, shouldn't his final damage be only 10d6. The bonus for the Haymaker is enough to add 2d6 but not quite enough to add 3d6, which would require +5 DCs (instead of the Haymaker's +4DCs) for a +1/2 Advantage. I see the table reads 10 1/2d6 but according to the rules, there are no half DCs. Is Strength an exception to this rule? Is the table wrong? Is this just a bit of rounding on the table to make things simpler? Or am I just missing something altogether? Thank you.

1 answer to this question

Re: A question about adding DCs

There's nothing wrong with the table or the example in this case. You're absolutely correct that there's no such thing as a "half Damage Class." However, as you can see from the table, sometimes a single (whole) DC actually only add a half-die of damage. On the Killing Damage table, sometimes a DC only adds a single point of damage. That doesn't mean they're not full DCs, just that at some points on the table, due to the mathematics of Adding Damage, sometimes a DC isn't an entire d6 worth of damage.

Does that clarify things? If not, please post a follow-up and we'll keep at it until it's clear as mud. :)