Affect of Friendly or Neutral Grab on CVs

prestidigitator

Question

Reading through "Grab's Effect on Combat Value" on 6E2 p. 66, I'm wondering what the official stance is on the CV effects of Grabbing an unresisting target is. For opponents (other than the character grabbed) would OCV and DCV be halved, full, or use the optional rules for if you are 20 Str above the grabbed character (-1 OCV, -2 DCV)? Would the answer be different for any of the following circumstances?

1. Grabbing a willing and friendly target (e.g. a friend in an uncontrolled fall)
  2. Unwilling but helpless characters (Entangled, Knocked Out, 0 Str, etc.)
  3. Inanimate objects (other than foci, which I assume you can normally handle without CV penalties)

Likewise, would the effects change in Phases after the one in which the Grab is established, and what would be the effect on the Grabbed character (who you want to hold, but don't intend to immobilize or harm)?

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

Re: Affect of Friendly or Neutral Grab on CVs

As a rules default, there's no difference at all -- a Grab is a Grab, regardless of the state of the target. Individual GMs are certainly free to adjust things as they see fit to reflect the specifics of a situation, but I'm not going to try to detail every possibility in the rules. ;)