Teen Force Zeta

The Arc

I've just finished up on my lastest super-hero group for the Uberworld Universe. I thought I'd share.

Team Logo

tfz.png

Background

Thoughts of being late for class again, spurred Taro to move faster. He had just slid the door to classroom 3-F, when he collided with Langdon-sensei knocking Taro to the floor.

“Tanaka-san,” Langdon-sensei said smiling down at the boy. “Please try to be a little earlier so you don't have to run into me.” Langdon-sensei reached out a hand and helped him back to his feet.

Embarrassed Taro bowed several times before turning to face the classroom. Everyone stared at him as if he had just fallen from the moon. Everyone, except for Mariko-chan who had her back to him while she chatted with Himiko-chan. The sight of her bottom rocketing back and forth almost unnerved Taro and he wiped at the trickle of blood that leaked from him nose.

“Alright class,” Langdon-sensei focusing the class on him. “Everyone please take your seats so we can begin. I'll start roll call shortly.”

Taro took his seat behind Himiko-chan and stared out the window. He thought he saw something strange heading towards the school in the distance but his attention was brought back to the classroom when Mariko-chan who sat behind him kicked his ankle. Taro shot out of his chair like a rocket. Langdon-sensei looked up from his roll shoving his glasses back up on his face.

“Ah thank you Tanaka-san,” Langdon-sensei said, “I see that you are here. Please take your seat.”

As Taro sat back back down her glared back at Mariko-chan, who just smiled at him benignly.

“Our first lesson of the day will be in poetry,” said Langdon-sensei, who proceeded to open a book and started to read poetry out loud. Taro like the rest of the class tuned this out straightaway. Langdon-sensei droned on for awhile before he finished his reading by saying “When the poet says 'Oh, to substantialize this supasataitias ontelogical quitity.' He is expressing something that I think you'll agree is central to most people's lives. At the same time, what does it tell us about his absurdest views of human existence? A good question. Then his obsession with ecumenical transcendentalism is revealing.”

Langdon-sensei seemed to be lost in his thoughts on ecumenical transcendentalism when the door to the classroom slid open and Wilson-sensei, the academies principal walked in.

“Sorry to interrupt Langdon-sensei,” she said as a way of greeting.

“No worries,” he replied with a slight bow.

“I have the two new students I told you about. Students please come in and introduce yourselves.”

In walked a boy of about Taro's age, followed by a real cute girl; not as cute as Mariko-chan but for sure good looking nonetheless. Both lined up in front of the class and the girl introduced herself first.

“My name is Mikoto Kazuko. I am most glad to meet you. Please take care of us.” She said this with a slight bow of her head.

The boy came next in introductions.

“I am Matsuda Ginzo,” he said with a deeper but stiffer bow.

“Excellent,” Langdon-sensei said clapping his hands. “Matsuda-san, I think there's a seat next to Maneki-san, and Mikoto-san you can set next to Tanaka-san.”

When the break for lunch came all the girls swarmed Matsuda-san, he coming from a wealthy from Hiroshima, while all the guys converged to swarm around Mikoto-san.”

“Give her some air,” Himiko-chan trying her best to rescue Kazuko-chan. “Maneki-san would you like to join Mariko-chan and I for lunch on the roof.”

“I'd love to,” said Mikoto-san standing up from her desk. “But please call me Kazuko-chan.” With the air of a princess Kazuko-chan parted all of her new admirers and the three of them left the classroom. All the boys eyes, except for Matsuda-san and Taro who once again looked out the wind. The thing he had seen earlier had come a lot closer to the academy. Could it be a storm thought Taro.

Up on the roof the three girls were chatting with the storm crossed over the academy. Kazuko looked up at the storm as if it were something she knew.

“Guess we'll need to go back inside,” said Mariko-chan.

“Just a minute...,” said Kazuko-chan.

Huge drops of black stuff started falling from the cloud.

“What in the world is that,” Himiko-chan said pointing at the globs of black ooze that once it touched down started forming into monsters.

"Oni from the dark side of the Moon," Kuzuko-chan breathed in amazement.

“Wha....” Himiko-chan started to say but a monster shaped from darkness attacked her. Himiko-chan's training took over then. While she felt scared she knew how to deal with super-natural threats. Calling upon her “ki”, Himiko unleashed a ball of fire right in the face of the monster. It exploded into a thousand pieces; bits of it rained all over the roof.

“Gross,” Mariko-chan said as she dodged around several of the monsters, trying her best not to be touched by any of them. Her cats' ears were perked and her tail wags in excitement. On occasion she'd dart in and deliver a powerful punch or kick to a monster before dodging away. She didn't feel she made much headway against them.

Kozuko-chan in a burst of moonlight transformed into her true shape and attacked the oni from the dark side of the moon with vengeance. She had battled these monsters many times as she grew up in her fathers' court. Desperately the three girls battled against the Oni from the dark side of the Moon. Unbeknownst to girls a familiar winged figure stood high atop the black cloud.

Meanwhile...

Ginzo had just opened his locket and gotten out his PE shit when the door to the locker room exploded inwards. Two oozing black monsters marched in looking for victims. The other boys in the locker room fled in panic, Ginzo didn't join them. Instead he ducked down clutching the hidden costume he carried with him at all times. As Ginzo changed into his Sekigai costume the monster were throwing anything they could lay their hand on all over the place. Standing up as Sekigai, he let the heat of his powers rush through him. However, it was too late for the monsters. The extreme heat made the pair blow up. A smile crossed his face as the sprinklers went off. The smile, however, didn't last long as the realization that there might be more of those things in the academy. It was time for Sekigai to get a move on.

Taro poured some more developing fluid in the pan as he planned to develop the latest photos of the new girl. She had the most interesting face, something Taro usually didn't notice. Taro liked the old style of photography. Digital cameras were nice, but give Taro a good old Nikon any day. He had just pulled a strip of film from the pan when the door to the dark room shattered under the fists of a monster made of roiling darkness.

“Hey,” Taro shouted thinking that one of his friends were playing a prank on him. However, the sight of the monster brought Taro up short. The creature let out a soundless roar and lunged toward Taro. He tried to block the attack but before he knew it the monster had its hand around his throat. Taro backed against the developing splashing developing fluid down his back. Ah dang, thought Taro, all those pictures were ruined and now this. Taro fumbled around trying to find something to uses as a weapon. In his desperation he actually grabbed the can of melon flavored energy drink that his sister had made for him. By some miracle he got a couple of swallows of the drink into his mouth. Energy flooded into him. In a blur Taro delivered blow after blow to the face of the monster. The attack seemed to rock the creature on its heels, giving Taro all the room he needed. Faster than the eye could follow Taro ran, switching into his Go!Go!Go!costume. The monster turned to look dumbly at his retreating back.

Sekigai all but ran over by Go!Go!Go! as he ran by. He attempted to flag down Go!Go!Go!, but failed. Sighing Sekigai trudged after him. There were times like this that Sekigai wished that he could fly. It looked like the speedster headed towards the stairs leading up to the roof.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as Go!Go!Go! came up onto the roof. Himiko-chan, Mariko-chan, and some strange looking other girl were there. This new girl wielded a naginata as if it were an extension of her own hand. All three were battling the same kind of monster that had ruined his pictures. However, they fared even more monsters than he had. A dark cloud hung over the academy and from this cloud drops of darkness fell and everywhere they landed a monster made from the darkness sprang. Go!Go!Go! wouldn't let the girls get hurt. Maybe he could get a hug or a kiss, or maybe something even more for his efforts. He go so wrapped up in his fantasy that he ran into the back of one of the monsters. The impact was such that the monster found itself flung over the edge of the roof. The girls paused in their battle against the monster to look at the newcomer.

“Sorry,” Go!Go!Go! said sheepishly.

The interruption didn't last long and soon the fight started again. It seemed that there was an endless supply of the black drops. Just when things seemed at their worst, a strange garbed boy with flaming red hair came out onto the roof. He took one look at the monsters before rushing in. All five of the teens smiled in unison. After that the monster fell like wheat before Teen Force Zeta. Soon no more drops came from the cloud to form monsters.

“Enough,” came a shout from a winged figure who stood atop the black cloud.

“Tengu-sama,” the girls shouted in concert.

“Who?” the boys asked.

“Your doom,” Tengu-sama pronounced.

“That's what you think,” Go!Go!Go! said in a defiant tone.

“Come on Teen Force Zeta, lets go!” Sekigai shouted.

The battle was joined and Tengu-sama was forced to flee. This was to be the first but not the last time that Teen Force Zeta would face Tengu-sama or his minions.

Area of Operations

Teen Force Zeta primarily ranges in the Kyoto area, but have on occasion traveled to Tokyo to confront Tengu-sama. On one occasion they even traveled sooth to Hiroshima where they had to battle a giant radiation monster. Teen Force Zeta has yet to travel outside of the country. Their base is the Orpheus Academy, and usually travel through public transportation, or whenever Sekigai can get them a corporate jet or maybe even a driver.

Goals

Teen Force Zeta fights to contain Tengu-sama and his countless oni from the dark side of the moon. They've also seek to prevent the yokai from gaining any more power. The group hasn't always been successful in that endeavor. They'd fight more conventional crime, but Tengu-sama and their studies take up most of their free time. One day the group hopes to actually put Tengu-sama back into his prison.

For the most part the students and faculty of the Orpheus Academy look favorably on Teen Force Zeta. How many schools can claim to have their own super-hero group? There are a few, however, who kind of wish that the super-heroes weren't associated with school because of all the attacks from rampaging monsters. It's hard to study for finals when a giant spider or lizard is rampaging through the school. Kyoto, too has taken a shine to their homegrown, as they see it, super-hero group. Take that Tokyo they say. Outside of Kyoto and the Tokyo area, Teen Force Zeta, isn't as well known. Teen Force Zeta has been known to travel as far south as Hiroshima and occasionally they're mentioned in their newspapers.

Most adult super-hero groups look upon Teen Force Zeta with amusement, seeing a bunch of teenage super-heroes battling crime. It reminds them how they were when they first started fighting crime. However, the more serious super-hero groups take a dim view of some upstart amateur super-heroes fighting crime. To them, they should be concentrating of their studies, not fighting crime.

Since Teen Force Zeta combats mostly super-natural villains and thus haven't faced any real serious crime. Yazuka and triads are something Teen Force Zeta hasn't yet tangled with. Tengu-sama is enough to keep Teen Force Zeta busy. The few super-villain groups in Japan have taken little notice of the teenage super-heroes. That may change in the future.

Re: Teen Force Zeta

Go!Go!Go!

go.png

Character Sheet (Click Here)

Background

“Taro,” Tomiko called from the stairwell. “Get up you baka, or you'll be late for school again. Taro!!”

There, of course, came no reply. Tomiko knew for sure that her brother hadn't been up late like her studying. Growling in frustration Tomiko marched up the stars, her anger threatening to boil over. Everything came to a head when she slammed the door to Taro's room open. Her brother lay strewed across his bed dressed only in his boxer shorts. Posters of women in lingerie and bikinis decorated the walls and dirty clothes covered the floor.

“Taro!” Tomiko yelled into Taro's ear and the teenage boy almost jumped out of his skin.

“What, what!” shouted a befuddled Taro.

“I said,” Tomiko said pronouncing every word slowly. “You need to get up or you'll be late for school.”

“Okay, okay,” said a groggy Taro ad he got up and stumbled off towards the bathroom.

Tomiko threw her arms up in the air before heading back downstairs to work on the breakfast. That darn Taro and his obsessions drove Tomiko right up the wall. And to top it all off she had to be the one who had to get his lazy butt out of bed in the morning. For certain there had to be a better way of doing this.

That night Tomiko worked late at the Tokyo University in the chemistry department. She knew that she would get it right with the next batch. Just needed to add a little more melon flavor and it would be the perfect energy drink for her brother. Tomiko fell asleep over her workbench and when she woke the energy drink was ready. No longer would she have to deal with a lazy Taro. Looking at her watch she saw that she would be late getting the baka up if she didn't hurry.

Taro woke in his usual fashion with his onee-san bellowing at him. However, when he finally got down to breakfast it didn't appear to be laid out for him. Instead, a fruit juice can waited for him, a note saying “Drink me.” taped to it. Being late for school again hid didn't think much about it bu t pull the tab and took a big drink. It tasted awful with a horrible melon aftertaste. However, Taro did feel like he had more energy. Stepping outside Taro glanced at his watch and saw that he was very late. Taro start to run and as he ran he seem to run even faster and faster. Soon the streets seemed to blur and before Taro knew what happened he left Tokyo behind. Taro ran so fast that he outran a bullet train. Before he knew it has passed through Sendai, and then across Tsugaru Strait. He in truth ran on water, Taro couldn't believe it. He didn't run out of energy until he came to the beach outside of Wakkanai.

It took the better part of the next day to get back to Tokyo by bumming rides with truck drivers. An exhausted Taro limped into the house and no one answered his call. A note from his onee-san waited for him on the table.

The note read, “Taro, I've been called out of town for awhile. There's a science conference in Nagasaki that I have to attend. I've left plenty of my energy drink for you.” A quick look through the pantry and the cupboards revealed can after can of melon flavored energy drinks and nothing else. What could he do with all this stuff? And then Taro started to chuckle. Maybe he did have a use for this awful tasting energy drink after all.

Personality

Ever since Taro hit adolescence he has been crazy about girls, for the most part those wearing bikini's and other less mentionable clothing. Taro has a fine collection of magazines hidden under his mattress, and posters of idol singers and other women in bikini's blanket the walls of his room. However, Taro always seems to come across as a pervert, not that this has prevented Taro from trying and failing that trying again.

Taro also comes across as very immature. He laughs at the dumbest jokes thinking farting noises are the height of hilarity. His onee-chan for certain wishes that Taro would grow up. Only time will tell. His obsession with trashy magazines is directly related to his immaturity.

"I just got to GO! GO! GO!"

Powers

Taro gains the ability to run at superhuman speed whenever he drinks his melon flavored energy drink, which his onee-san, Tomiko, made for him to help him get up in the morning. She never knew that her energy drink would actually give him superhuman powers. After drinking a dose of energy drink, Taro's reaction time jumps dramatically. In his heightened state Taro can run as superhuman speeds going so fast that he can run across or even up the side of a building. Taro has yet to find out what his limits are when he's running. However, the energy drink isn't perfect and there has been times when his powers have altogether deserted him.

Taro has taught himself some techniques while moving fast. One technique is the clean his room, really, really fast. He learned how to do this just to please his sister. Another technique is to punch a foe at superhuman speed, which is real good against agents, but not powerful enough to harm a super-villain. Taro can grab a foe and spin them in circles causing them to loose a lot of their balance by the effects of vertigo. Because Taro is almost constantly moving and his rapid movements make it hard for foes to get a bead on him and even less to get a direct hit on him. Lastly Taro can change into his costume in a blur. His costume is reinforced and provides him with some protection. He also wears a visor that protects him from bright lights.

Appearance

Taro is a teenager of average height and weight. He has short black hair and brown eyes that seem to track any short skirted girl they can find. A knowing smile is always on his lips.

His costume consists of a blue and white bodysuit that covers his entire body except his head. The majority of his bodysuit is blue with a wide swath of white that runs from his feet to the collar of costume. However, most criminals only see a blur when Taro is running. To complete his identity as Go!Go!Go!, Taro wears a broad visor that is blue like his costume.

When not in his super-hero guise, Taro wears the standard Orpheus Academy gakuran, but his gakuran always seemed to be rumpled.

Kami

kami.png

Background

Kazuko loved to watch her mother and her aunts dance before her father in the Lunar Court. Their dance seemed so magical and majestic; what one would expect from the Kami of the court of the Tsuki-yomi the Shinto God of the Moon. However, as Kazuko watched from the eves of the court, she detected a hint of sadness to her movements. And the longer the dance went on the more it became clear for Kazuko. She tightened her grip on her naginata in frustration. Her father noticed Kazuko for the first time. He frowned a little and that was all he needed to do. Kazuko flushed a little and faded back in the darkness.

On her way back to her dojo Kazuko fumed. She hated to ever see her mother sad for any reason. Her mother was the kindest, gentlest kami that Kazuko ever knew. Someone would pay for the affront.

“You're late,” came the growl of the Old Man in the Moon as Kazuko slid the door of the dojo open.

“I am most sorry sensei,” Kazuko said bowing to her master.

“Sorry won't protect you if the oni from the dark side of the Moon decide to attack. Take up your weapon Mikoto-chan.”

Naginato raised Kazuko struck. For a little while she became lost in the magic of Naginatajutsu. After an hours worth of intense fighting the old man call for a break.

Wiping seat from his brow the Old Man in the Moon said. “That was quite the workout Mikoto-chan. What troubles you so?”

“Oh sensei,” Kazuko said doubling over trying to catch her breathe. “It's all about my mother. I watched her dance today. She looked so sad.”

“Your mother,” the old man said as he stroked his beard. “I wouldn't worry about it too much.”

“Sensei!” Kazuko shouted.

“Alright, alright,” the old man said in surrender. “It happened before your birth. Way back then your father had a tengu as a royal adviser. The tengu had serves your father for quite some time before your Uncle Susanoo brought a gift for your father, a beautiful concubine. Your father give his heart away to this great beauty. His desire for her became so great that he took her for his fourth wife. However, your father wasn't the only one who desired your father's new bride. The tengu desired her as well. Over time the tengu did his best to get you mother alone so that he could seduce her. She did her best to avoid the tengu, but the tengu had become a powerful member of your father's court. Ah but now my throat is parched. Off with you Mikoto-chan. After a hot bath we will meet again for tea.”

Kazuko wanted to argue the point, but she knew from experience that it wasted time arguing with the Old Man in the Moon. She did need a bath. Fighting with the sensei always raised a sweat and now that she had a chance to think about it her muscles ached a lot. Sighing with frustration headed towards the bath. As Kazuko lay her head back against the polished stones of the moon pool, only then did the aches start to ebb away. However, her mind refused to give up with what sensei had told her. As soon as it would be considered polite, Kazuko got out of the bath putting on a pearly silver robe and went in search of the Old Man in the Moon.

She found the Old Man in the Moon under a veranda with an excellent view of the Earth so far away. A blooming cherry tree grew nearby. The Old Man in the Moon sat cross legged adjacent to a table set out for tea. His white beard seemed to glow in the moonlight. Being the well trained daughter of the God of the Moon, Kazuko sat down and performed the duties of serving tea. After seeing to the old mans needs, Kazuko poured herself a cup as well. After a few sips of tea the pair seemed to relax.

“So where was I?” asked the old man. “Ah yes, your mother and the tengu.”

Kazuko bowed to the sensei in acknowledgment.

“It was a time during the Eclipse when the shadow of the Earth fell upon the court making all as dark as it could be. A good excuse to have a party if there ever was one. Lanterns were placed strategically about the court. The tengu ran it all with the mastery of a general. Everything was going according to his plan. In the end the tengu cornered your fathers' new bride. He attempted to ravage her knowing that in the darkness no one would see him. Alas, in his pride and arrogance didn't take in the consideration of another.”

The Old Man in the Moon paused a little, and Kazuko knowing the prompt poured him a little more tea.

“Most excellent tea, don't you think Mikoto-chan,” the old man said.

“Yes sensei,” Kazuko replied inpatients eating at her.

“That other,” the old man started up his tale again. “Being me. I found the tengu attacking your fathers' new bride. Sword in hand I challenged the tengu. We battled for quite some time. You think I am a great swordsman, well the tengu he knew how to use a katana as well. However, in the end even his skills were no match for mine.” A wicked smile crept over his craggy face.

“However, the tengu being one of your fathers favorite advisers I couldn't kill him out of turn. Instead I had to drag the foul bird before my lord. The musicians stopped playing short as I flung the tengu at my lords feet. In a strong voice I denounced the tengu. You should have seen the look on the faces of the members of the court. None seemed capable of believing me. However, once your mother came in the die had been cast. The executioner poised over the tengu his immense sword ready to carry out the execution. However, it proved that the tengu had allies of his own. Just as the blade came down, Oni from the Dark Side of the Moon poured into the courtyard. Chaos reigned supreme. In the end the tengu made his escape thanks to the oni. However, while he might have escaped, my lord exiled him from the Moon itself.”

“Look towards the Earth young Mikoto-chan,” said the Old Man in the Moon pointing. “There is where the foul bird has fled. Never more will he be allowed to return to the Moon. So like I said it is nothing to worry about. The threat against your mother is gone never to return.”

Together they sat drinking their tea, and Kazuko stared out towards the Earth with a sense of longing. Maybe one day she would visit Earth and maybe just maybe get revenge on the tengu who assaulted her mother. Maybe just maybe.

Personality

Ever since her talk with the Old Man in the Moon, Kazuko has taken a notice of the Earth. For eons she barely noticed the blue-green planet that orbited her fathers' moon. In the beginning it she desired revenge on the tengu whom hurt her mother her attitude has changed. Now it's more of a matter of curiosity. Everything about Earth seem to fascinate Kazuko. The freak chance of making it to Earth has become the opportunity that Kazuko has sought.

Kazuko isn't like most of the kami of Earth. She's a kami of the Moon, a spirit creature from another world. As such, like most of the kami on the Moon, thinks she's superior to mortals. Most of the time Kazuko keeps this feeling of superiority in check, until times when she has to deal with uncouth or base people. It is these times when her airs come upon her. However, because of her greatness among the mortals and even the other terrestrial kami, Kazuko feels obligated to help those of lesser station. At times Kazuko will assist those who don't ask for her help. Of course they should be happy to have Kazuko aide them.

"I've watched the mortal world for far too long. Now is my chance to live. Kiai!"

Powers

Kazuko is a master of naginatajutsu who has been training with the weapon for eons. She wields the Naginata of the Moon, a weapon forged on the moon itself. Using the naginata, Kazuko can strike with the blade of the weapon and slice through steel, or deliver a powerful blow with the shaft of the weapon. Kazuko can also deflect almost any ranged attack directed at her. In addition to her naginata, Kazuko wears a pair of bracers that protect her from some threats. She also has a moonstone that allows her to appear as a normal human. However, the moonstone requires recharging under moonlight.

Kazuko has learned two special techniques from the Old Man in the Moon. The first is the technique to create a gate between two points. Just by stepping through the gate, anyone can instantly travel to a different point without passing through the intervening space. The second is a technique that allows Kazuko the ability to get close to her foe, strike, and in an instant return to the point where she started from.

Kazuko is an kami of the Moon, a spirit creature. As a kami, Kazuko is immortal and as such doesn't have to breathe, nor is effected by extremes in heat or cold. In fact, Kazuko doesn't have to sleep if she doesn't chose to.

Appearance

Kazuko is a blue skinned kami, with an athletic build. She has short hair of a blue color just slightly darker than her skin. Kazuko has eyes black as space itself. However, Kazuko has a moonstone which allows Kazuko to take upon the appearance of a normal human. Usually the moonstone is not visible, but when Kazuko assumes her regular form it sits upon her brow.

Kazuko is known by the world as Kami, a title which she finds amusing. When acting as a super-hero, Kazuko dresses in a part of black fighting pants, along with a white martial arts tunic. On her arms she wears a pair of white bracers that reach to her elbows. Kazuko goes barefoot whenever she can. She wields the Naginata of the Moon a fearsome weapon that Kazuko keeps strapped to her back when not in use. Of course, when Kazuko is attending the Orpheus Academy she wears the standard seifuku.

Miko

mika.png

Background

Rain beat down the day that the police brought Himiko to the little Shinto shrine on the outskirts of Kyoto. Himiko had only celebrated her eighth birthday just a few months earlier when disaster struck the little girl. While walking home from a moon viewing festival a drunk driver had struck down her parents in the blink of an eye, leaving Himiko an orphan. The shrine was to be her new home. Obaa-san waited with patience at the door as the kind police officer explained to the little old lady what had happened. With a nod of her head Obaa-san took the little girls' hand and guided her within.

All this passed through Himiko's memories as she sat in the lotus position as the icy cold waters of the waterfall fell over her driving the pains of her past from her. At least for a little while. Himiko had been meditating like this for hours and only now did the sadness leave her. However, it became time to get out before she got hypothermia. Stepping out of the waterfall, Himiko saw that Oba-san stood nearby with a thick towel waiting for her.

Himiko bowed her thanks and said, “Obaa-san, the moon viewing festival is tomorrow night. I was wondering if I could attend.”

“Himoko,” Oba-san said. “I think it would be a wonderful idea. I will check. I think I have a yakuta that I made for your mother when she was your age.”

“Oh Obaa-san,” she said hugging her grandmother tight getting the little woman wet. “Thank you so much.”

“Off with you girl.” Obaa-san commanded with a smile of her own. Obaa-san cared a lot for her grand-daughter. Himiko was the only family that the little old nun had as well.

Laughing a little she rushed to the shrine where she lived with Obaa-san. Inside she paused to bow and light some incense in remembrance of her lost parents before heading to the baths. Obaa-san's home at the shrine was simple compared to most homes near Kyoto, but they did the best with what they had. No day went by without Himiko running the floors with a clothe making the oak floors shine with a glow all of their own. While Himiko missed her parents as only an orphan could, these last eight years hadn't all been bad. She wished he had more friends, but Mariko-chan was good enough. Maybe next year Obaa-san would let her go to high school, Himiko had been educated by Obaa-san since coming to the shrine.

Himiko parted the curtain to the outside hot spring, which had made the shrine popular with pilgrims and tourists a like and stepped out on the flags with a towel wrapped around her. The green waters of the pool invited her in. The warmth of the waters came as quite the shock compared to the cold of the waterfall, but she soon got used to it. In fact the hot water soothed some of the aches that the waterfall couldn't heal.

She had just put her towel on her head to relax a little when there came a loud splash nearby. Startled she stood up, her training as a shrine maiden coming to the fore. Something under the water came towards her like a torpedo. Himiko had just drawn breathe to summon the ki fire, a spell that her grandmother had taught her when Mariko-chan launched herself out of the pool latching on to her in a tight hug.

“Oh Himiko-chan,” Mariko shouted as she rubbed her naked body against Himiko. “I couldn't wait for you to get back. I just don't know how you can stand that waterfall. Brr.”

With a lot of effort Himiko was able to pry the excitable Mariko-chan off of her. Mariko-chan danced in the water she was so worked up. She failed to see the look of irritation on Himiko's face. It was hard, however, to stay angry with Mariko; she was just too cute for her own good. Her otherworldly nature having much to with it.

“Why were you wanting to see me so much?” she asked settling back into the water trying her best not to be angry.

“Well,” Mariko said oblivious to Himiko's anger. “I found this most amazing book in my clans attic. I just knew you'd like it. Nya.”

“A book?” she said with a look of confusion on her face. “You practically drown me over a book.”

Tail a twitching, Mariko sat down in the warm spring next to Himiko. “Well, silly, I couldn't read it or anything. It's in some language I don't understand. It must be magic. Nya.”

“Magic you say,” Himiko said. “You've got to be kidding. Where is it?”

“Um...” Mariko said. “I don't have it on me right now.” She said this while patting her naked body to emphasize the point. “I'll tell you what. I'll bring it too you tomorrow at the festival. Nya.”

“Oh alright,” she said not quite believing her friend. Himiko submerged her body under the water and when she surfaced again, Mariko-chan was gone.

The next night the moon was the brightest it had been all year. It was almost like you could reach out and touch it. Himiko wore her mothers' yakuta along with geta. She loved the yakuta with it's pattern of white cranes on green fabric. She looked all over the festival for Mariko-chan but couldn't find her. She had just about given up when she saw Mariko talking with a boy she didn't know.

As she drew closer, Mariko noticed her and waved Himiko over. The boy seeing Himiko turned and walked away.

“Who was that?” Himiko asked.

“Oh, that was Matsuda-kun. He's new to the area. Kind of cute don't you think?”

“I hadn't noticed.”

“Really. I think he's cute. Nya.”

“Enough Mariko-chan. Where is the book?”

“Boy are you in a rush or what.”

Himiko stood her ground and held out her hand.

“Oh okay. Sheesh. Don't be a grump.”

Mariko handed Himiko a small book bound in black leather. A warmth flowed through Himiko as she took the book. She knew the book contained magic. What kind of magic she didn't know. Leafing through the book she saw what she thought might be a spell to contact the dead. Sudden inspiration struck her. She would contact her dead mother. Himiko felt flush all over.

“Come on,” Himiko said dragging Mariko behind her.

In a clearing not far from where the festival was going on the two girls stopped. An abandoned well stood in the center of the clearing. Under the light of the brightest moon of the year Himiko read the incantation. She just knew she could do this. Clearing her mind she started to read aloud from the book. Words not spoken for centuries flowed from Himiko's mouth faster and faster. The magic felt natural to Himiko. She was doing it. Then things seemed to go wrong.

The well exploded send shards of stone everywhere. If Mariko hadn't grabbed Himiko and together they leaped into a nearby tree, Himiko would've been struck by flying rock. An inky black light spewed from the ruined well coalescing high up in the sky.

“Free. Free,” came a voice from the mass of darkness.

“Himiko,” Mariko said, the hairs on her neck standing straight up. “What did you do?”

“I don't know,” Himiko said. “It should have worked.”

Just then the ball of darkness exploded and in its place was a bird-like man. Black wings beat upon the night air and a sense of foreboding permeated the clearing. However, it was his nose that made the girls stare. Could it be a tengu?

“Lets get out of here,” Mariko said. However, her talking alerted the tengu that he wasn't alone. It let out a hissing sound as the yokai spotted them. With the speed of an eagle in flight the tengu dived at them.

“I see you Nekko,” shouted the tengu as a pair of katana appeared as if by magic in its hands. However, before he was able to strike something else just as odd occurred.“I see you Nekko,” shouted the tengu as a pair of katana appeared as if by magic in its hands. However, before he was able to strike something else just as odd occurred. The moon seemed to open up as if it were a doorway, and stepping out of that door came a girl with blue skin twirling a naginata. Just as soon as she was clear from the door it shut.

“Not so fast Tengu-sama,” she said blocking his blades with her weapon. “Once you tried to dishonor my mother but I shall take your head as payment for that insult.”

“You,” Tengu-sama hissed so loud that Himiko and Mariko had to cover their ears. The tengu flew back up into the night sky and hovered over the three girls. As he hovered there he glared down upon the trio.

“I've waited too long for my revenge on the Nekko to let the yelp of Tsuki-yomi stand in my way,” Tengu-sama growled, “But I can see that I am outnumbered at this time. Know this kami, that you have not won. I will have my revenge not only on the Nekko but you as well.”

Spitting a stream of bile on the ground before the thrusting away Tengu-sama fled into the darkness. A silence overcame the gathering. Himiko didn't know what to say. She felt that all of this was her fault. Mariko-chan broke the silence by walking up to the blue skinned girl.

Bowing to the waist, Mariko spoke, “I am thankful for your aide Kami-sama. I am Mariko Maneki and this is my friend Himiko Ichikawa.”

The blue skinned girl bowed in a military fashion and said, “No need to be so formal.” She smiled showing teeth as bright as pearls. “My name is Kazuko Mikoto, eighth daughter of Tsuki-yomi. I have watched your world for so long. I waited for this day for so long. Once Tengu-sama was a member of my fathers' court but was exiled from the Moon for making advances to my mother the Lady Aiko. I never thought I'd have a chance to cross blades with that trickster, but now karma swings its' balance. I am sure we shall all be great friends.”

Himiko wasn't too sure but the next day Obaa-san told her that she was going to be able to go to the high school and Mariko-chan and Kuzuko-sama would be going as well. Who knew what adventures awaited her in school. Only time would tell.

Personality

Himiko has been training all her life to be a miko, or a shrine maiden. She has deeply rooted beliefs and part of her beliefs is that all life is sacred. Himiko won't wittingly use her magic to kill anyone. Spirits and hungry ghosts not being alive don't have the same protection from Himiko's code. She'll always try to lay ghosts to rest whenever possible.

Himiko also feels that it is her fault that Tengu-sama was released from his prison in the forest. She is determined to make up for this by trying harder than anyone else. Himiko knows that with enough effort and belief there isn't anything she cannot accomplish. She has yet to encounter a situation that has shaken her from this belief.

"It's going to take more than a few threats to stop me."

Powers

Himiko is a mystic in training. Being young she's not as powerful as more practiced mystics. Her powers lay for the most part in the realm of exorcism. With practices gestures and a few mantras she can drive out spirits or demons from their victims. Once a demon has vacated his victim, Himiko can throw paper charms that prevent the monster from escaping. Neither of these abilities affect anything but demons or spirits. However, if a demon was able to evade her papers, Himiko can summon of ki fire from within and deliver a purifying fire. Himiko can also lay her hands upon a wounded person and bring them some relief. Lastly Himiko has been trained to do a cleansing ceremony that dissipates evil magic.

Himiko doesn't wear traditional miko clothing, but instead wears a white overcoat with big sleeves that has been enchanted to protect her from evil spirits. Himiko also has some training in aikido, thanks to Obaa-san.

Appearance

Himiko is a sixteen year old girl with long black hair that she wears to her neckline. Part of her hair is always falling over one side of her face or the other. Himiko is cute, but not as cute as Mariko-chan or as exotic looking as Kuzoko-chan. However, Himiko is certainly the most intellectual of the bunch. Himiko isn't athletic like Kuzoko-chan nor as voluptuous as Mariko-chan but lies somewhere in the middle.

When not wearing her school uniform, or expecting supernatural danger Himiko changes into her “work clothes”. These clothes are the ceremonial robes of a miko. However, Himiko isn't a girl stuck in the past. She has instead decided to wear a short red mini-skirt that even Mariko-chan thinks is daring. She also wears a clinging white top. Over her top and skirt Himiko wears a pure white coat with wide sleeves. On her feet she wears matching slippers.

Nekko

nekko.png

Background

Long ago in the mist of time when spirits and demons roamed Japan there lived a simple monk who cared for his tiny Shinto shrine deep in the woods. His only visitors were ones he usually could not see. However, this didn't bother the monk because he was full of a humility that seemed to tame the worse of the yokai and pleased the kami. However, even his bliss would never be complete for two yokai made a wager to his fate. One was a mighty tengu fallen from the heavens itself, and the other a lone bakeneko or Demon Cat.

Both wagered that the other could corrupt the monk first. Each tried their best by offering the monk everything he could want from gold to sake, but all of these incitements the monk ignored because none of it mattered. This angered the tengu to no end, but the monks attitude intrigued the Cat Demon. Since nothing worked the tengu decided the monk had to die.

In the dead of night the monk sat before his altar meditating when the tengu came for him. On silent wings the tengu flew in drawing a pair of black katana's as dark as night. The yokai narrowed his eyes in anticipation. The deathblow would have landed except for the yowling from a wild cat distracted the tengu and the monk rolled out of the way. The blades of the swords sank deep into the floorboards of the shrine.

“Damn cat,” the tengu screamed scanning the room looking for the Demon Cat. He didn't have to wait long as a cat the size of a tiger leaped out of the shadows. Eyes flashing and teeth bared the bakeneko knocked the tengu to the floor. The tengu screamed in rage and then in pains as the Demon Cat raked him with her claws. Raising a palm the tengu blasted the Demon Cat with a burst of mystical energy. The explosion drove the cat into the rafters of the shrine. Dripping ichor the tengu stood up. The monk then stepped close placing a paper with mystical words written on the tengus' head. In a blink paralysis overcame the tengu. However, the tengu's superior magic just as quick broke down the ward and the paper burst into flames.

“You shall pay for that priest,” the tengu shouted as the yokai rushed over and yanked his katana's from the floor.

The monk attempted to get out of the way but turned out to be too slow. The blades cut a deep groove across the monks chest and without a sound he collapsed to the floor. However the Demon Cat let her anger be known and in a berserk rage struck the tengu from behind. The two yokai fought across the shrine tearing into one another and destroying larges sections of the building. In the end the bakeneko won the battle driving the tengu from the shrine. Bleeding from several wounds the yokai used some of the last of her magic to take on the shape of a beautiful maiden.

She became the first person the monk saw when he opened his eyes. His heart went out to the Cat Demon who nursed him back to health over many months. His vows forgotten, he in time made love to her. Their love united them as one. Almost a year went by and in that time the Cat Demon gave birth to a daughter. The girl being the most beautiful child the couple had ever seen. However, she wasn't like other infants, this child had cats ears growing from her head and a cats tail.

Not long after the birth of their daughter the tengu returned. This time he had allies in the form of Oni from the Dark Side of the Moon. Together they fought against the tengu and his minions, but in the end the shrine was lost. Under a full moon the oni danced around the burning shrine in celebration. The tengu stood upon a well gloating. He didn't notice the monk and the Cat Demon before they pare pounced. In act of sacrifice the monk grabbed the yokai around the waist and fell into the well dragging the tengu with him. He died at the bottom of the well and the tengu flew up but not before the Cat Demon used the very last of her magic sealing the tengu in the well. As the magic took firm hold on the well the Demon Cat faded from existence.

It was Bancho Maneki who discovered the baby the next day. Bancho being the brother of the late monk. He had come to the shrine after hearing of its destruction. For reason he never quite understood Bancho took the babe with him. Maybe because the child being so cute, another maybe because Bancho saw a little of his brother in her. A long journey awaited Banco the clan leader of the Maneki ninja clan, but he brought something with him that would strengthen his clan like nothing else could.

Every ten generations a girl child is born into the Maneki ninja clan, a girl of extraordinary gifts, a girl with cats ears and tail. Mariko is the latest of these girls.

Personality

Mariko has several traits that she shares with felines. She's easily excitable, prone to taking long naps, usually during class, and hugging enthusiastically almost everyone, except for Taro. Mariko can be easily distracted, even in a fight. She has a thing for clothes, like most teenage girls. Dogs always seem to make Mariko uncomfortable, but she doesn't know why.

Mariko cannot resist playing jokes or pranks on her friends. She never does this to be mean or cruel, but her catlike nature makes it impossible for her to resist these temptations. Her mischievous nature is also what makes her like to hug everybody, to see how uncomfortable it can make them. Mariko is never serious because Mariko sees seriousness as boring, and there is nothing more dangerous than a bored Mariko.

"Watch out bad guy this kitten has claws. Nya!"

Powers

Mariko is a descendant of a bakeneko or Demon Cat. As such, Mariko has many cat-like abilities. She is super-humanly swift and can leap great distances with ease. Mariko has retractable claws which she not only use in combat but also allows her to scale walls as if they were vertical surfaces. Her senses are quite keen as well. Her hear and sight are superhuman, and Mariko can see in the dark as if it were daylight. Mariko, further, has a strong relationship with cats. She can understand what they're saying. Lastly for reasons unknown, Mariko is quite lucky unlike some of her friends.

Being a member of the Maneki ninja clan, Mariko has been trained in ninjutsu. Coupled with her incredible agility this makes Mariko a superior hand-to-hand combatant. Her ninja training also includes stealth, tumbling and acrobatics. Lastly her training includes some alertness which lets Mariko know when she's in danger. Unfortunately, her alertness doesn't extend to her friends.

Appearance

Mariko is a very cute girl with short black hair. She's a little shorter than her friends, but makes up for it with personality. For a costume Mariko wears a short black skirt, matching bra, with a blue-black jacket to go over it. Her black boots reach almost to the edge of the hemline of her skirt. To hide her identity, Mariko wears a small black domino mask. So far no one has figured out that the super-heroine calling herself Nekko is Mariko, even though both have cats ears and eyes. Most people think that her ears and tail are fake.

When not acting as Nekko, Mariko wears tight clothes that show off her body. Naturally when at the Orpheus Academy, Mariko wears the required seifuku, except her skirts tend to be shorter than the Academy allows.

Sekigai

sekigai.png

Background

Ginzo came up to bat next in the semi-finals of the middle school baseball tournament for the prefecture. Sweat beaded on his brow and he felt a little sick to his stomach, maybe the pickled takoyaki from earlier or maybe just nerves. His eyes scanned the crowd looking for his Ojii-sama. Relief flooded Ginzo as he saw the old man surrounded by all of his aides and assistants. It wasn't everyday that a president of a major car manufacturer could get away to watch his grandson play baseball. Ginzo wouldn't let his grandfather down.

“Come on number eight,” the umpire calls. “Take your place in the box, you're holding up the game.”

Somewhat embarrassed, Ginzo, stepped up to the plate and swung his bat a few times before focusing on the pitcher. The heat from earlier came back, but Ginzo fought it down. The pitcher seemed to blur as he went into his pitch. Ginzo let out a breathe as he sung, only to hear the umpire call “Strike one!” Irritated at himself for missing Ginzo go himself ready for the next pitch. The heat beginning to become unbearable. A swing and a miss later and his skin felt like it would boil off. Ginzo grounded his teeth and tightened his grip on the bat. He wouldn't let the next one get by him.

Ginzo looked the pitcher straight in the eye and in that instant knew he would hit this pitch. The bat hitting the ball sound like an explosion in Ginzo's ears. In that moment the heat that had been threatening to overwhelm him went away. A jubilant Ginzo ran towards first base as the ball flew towards the wall of the outfield. It looked like it would be a home run. Ginzo, however, didn't notice that the umpire, the catcher, along with the first three rows of spectators behind home plate collapsed. Only after he reached first base that he discovered that something didn't seem right came when the first baseman along with the umpire both fell over in a swoon. After that the game ended with several people being sent to the hospital for heat stroke. As for Ginzo, he felt wonderful.

The next day, Ginzo received a summons to the offices of his Ojii-sama. He only had to wait an hour to see him. His grandfathers' office could be nothing more than huge by Japanese standards and had a great view of the stadium nearby.

“Ginzo, my boy,” his grandfather called from behind his humungous desk. “Come here. Quite an eventful day don't you think? According to the reports I've been given, all of the people sent to the hospital are expected to make a full recovery. Most excellent news.”

“Ojii-sama,” Ginzo said. “It was all my fault.”

“Your fault?” grandfather asked while lacing his fingers together.

“My fault,” Ginzo replied. “I don't know how or why, but I just know that I caused all of this. I am most ashamed, Ojii-sama.”

“Pish-posh my boy,” grandfather said leaning forward. “Alright this is what we are going to do. I'll have the Kyoto townhouse prepared for you. It's about time you experienced a little independent living. Also I have an old friend up there who might be able to help you. Further I'm having you enrolled at the Orpheus Academy, a prominent high school, so I'm told.”

“As you wish Ojii-sama,” Ginzo said still looking dejected.

“Don't look so down Ginzo,” grandfather said. “I hear they have a most excellent baseball team.”

They both had to smile at this.

Personality

Ginzo comes from a family of samurai minded businessmen. He has adopted their ideal to his day to day life. Ginzo always does his best to follow the directions of his superiors, especially his grandfather whom Ginzo thinks the world of. Ginzo is a very honorable boy, and treats everyone with respect befitting a samurai. However, those who don't act in an honorable fashion are the ones who feel his wrath. One of the greatest things that Ginzo strives for is to not loose face as a loss of face reflects upon his family.

Besides the code that Ginzo follows religiously, is his passion for baseball. Given time Ginzo is either watching baseball on TV, or playing the game. Since coming to the Orpheus Academy Ginzo has become the captain of the academy's baseball team. Also Ginzo has no trouble talking about baseball, as he has memorized the stats of a wide majority of Japanese baseball players, and even a few of the American players as well.

"Time to knock this one out of the ballpark."

Powers

Ginzo is a boy who has become a generated of infrared radiation, hence his code-name: Sekigai. His body can produce vast amounts of infrared radiation in a radius around him. Anything or anyone not protected in some way against intense heat are straightaway drained of body fluids. In living things this can cause system shock. Most faint away when exposed to the infrared radiation. So far Ginzo has no control of his ability to produce infrared radiation. Of course Ginzo is immune to the effects of his production, isn't effected by variances in heat around him, and fire has little effect on him as well. Ginzo can localize his projection so that someone touching him will get a serious burn. The only control that Ginzo has shown is that at real low levels he can act as a heat source. Ginzo can also melt bullets right out of the air. Lastly Ginzo can see into the infrared spectrum going so far as being able to track someone based upon their infrared signature.

Ginzo wears a special reinforced costume that was given to him by his grandfather.

[b/]Appearance

When in his Sekigai guise, Ginzo wears a form fitting costume that is parts red and white in color. The chest of the costume is for the most part white but turns red along the sleeves and part of the chest. The trousers of the costume are white as well with a red stripe that runs on the edges. Ginzo's belt is red as are his boots that reach up to his knees, while his gloves are white. His mask comes in two parts and is red in color. The mask attaches to his face by special adhesives, and has a micro-material in them that makes his eyes appear white. Otherwise, Ginzo is an athletic looking fifteen year old boy with dark skin complexion, for a Japanese. In honor of his favorite team Ginzo has dyed his hair red.

When attending the Orpheus Academy Ginzo wears the required gakuran, which he's always pulling at the collar. However, when not in school or in physical education, which Ginzo excels at he'll put on a t-shirt and his Hiroshima Toyo Carp baseball cap. The Carp is Ginzo's favorite team, although he has started to taking a liking to the nearby Hanshin Tigers.