Conversion of returner games Final Fantasy table top RPG to HERO: FF HERO

yukonhorror

If you frequent the forums, you have seen the newbie (me) post some mention of the final fantasy game I am working on.

I thought I'd have an OFFICIAL topic to post all of my findings/builds/etc... I am thinking of setting up a wiki too when it is all said in done, but in the development phase, I thought I'd post it here for critique's and suggestions.

I have already been guided to the links of the other topics, so no need for that, but thanks. Those were trying to build it from scratch (in a sense). I am converting an already (relatively well-) built table top game to HERO. The decisions on damage level, time cost, etc... have already been playtested. I just need to translate their words into the HERO language.

Re: Conversion of returner games Final Fantasy table top RPG to HERO: FF HERO

sorry for the length (no replies yet so assuming that's why). Basically, this is a forum topic to post the details of my campaign (which will change CONSTANTLY).

But here is my sort of GENERIC checklist (in a somewhat particular order)

1) Races

Pretty much done, but I could do racial abilities. I am thinking of guiding the players to them, and if they want to take them, they can.

2) classes

started. DOing them in this sort of order

A) atk, support, and reaction powers

B) offensive and support spells

C) healing powers

this will be tricky, as I don't know exactly how healing/damage will be scaled in my game. Before I design the healing and such, will run some numbers to get a feel for how much will be appropriate

D) healing spells

E) Summons

calls will be more treated like spells (one shot powers) where as true summons will use the Summon power (or MAYBE multiform)

F) Skills

I think some skills need to be added to the core skill list

G) Equipment

there is a LOT of equipment, so will focus on tier 1 equipment items and one-shot use items (like phoenix down and potions). But will need to understand healing before I do this.

H) Status conditions

a lot of the powers and spells will do this for me already, but there may be some missing that I'll need for monster design

I) MOnsters

This one I am leaving on a game by game basis. I'll design about 3 encounters per game night, and design the monsters as I go. I may need some SERIOUS tweeking from night to night, so don't want to spend a lot of time on monsters and they be way too easy/hard. I may do monster powers though, to add to monsters easiliy. Also, I am thinking of using the FFX, FFTA, FFVIII, and/or FFX-2 monsters. They seem to be the most systematic/generic/easy to use. Whether one exclusively or combination of them, I don't know, but this will be the last mechanical element.

Will "check" these off as I do them. Wish me luck!

If I may be so bold as to ask, have you checked out Killer Shrike's website or Surbrook's stuff? You may find some things there that may help with your conversions. Bear in mind that much of the conversions are in older Versions of HERO so you would need to go back and change what used to be Figured Characteristics and such (assuming you are running 6e)

http://www.killershrike.com/

http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/index.html

I believe your First Strike ability is incorrectly constructed. It should be constructed much like your Quick Hit ability. Remember in HERO, all combats begin on Phase 12 and everyone except SPD 1 goes on Phase 12 (has this been changed in 6th?), thus in order to get in the first attack on Phase 12, the character has to have the highest Dexterity, not Speed.

Quick Hit on the other hand, actually made Tidus faster and act more often in combat. THAT ability could qualify for a Speed bonus.

I believe your First Strike ability is incorrectly constructed. It should be constructed much like your Quick Hit ability. Remember in HERO, all combats begin on Phase 12 and everyone except SPD 1 goes on Phase 12 (has this been changed in 6th?), thus in order to get in the first attack on Phase 12, the character has to have the highest Dexterity, not Speed.

Quick Hit on the other hand, actually made Tidus faster and act more often in combat. THAT ability could qualify for a Speed bonus.

I realized that AFTER I did a quick sample encounter. That has been updated to just be lightning reflexes. Thanks though.