5e Multiform and the 5e Bestiary

BlueCloud2k2

I just received the 5e Bestiary. I've noticed that many animals have more Disadvantage points than they have spent character points.

Now, I'm converting the Imp from the D&D 3.5 Monster Manual. It has the ability to turn into a limited number of small forms (Snake, Spider, Rat and Raven). Points-wise, how am I supposed to build this as a Multiform when each of the forms in question have more points in Disads than they have spent?

The Total Cost / Total Disadvantages are as follows:

Snake: 5 / 135

Spider: 11 / 130

Rat (tiny mammal): 14 / 115

Raven: -12 / 115

Under Raven it says "Ravens and Crows should be considered to have a Total Cost of 5 Character Points for purposes of buying them as Followers, Summoning them, and so forth."

5th Edition Multiform reads "The cost for Multiform ... is 1 Character Point for every 5 Character Points the most expensive form is built with (including Points from disadvantages), +5 Character Points for every 2x number of forms of equal or lesser cost."

If I am reading this correctly then the Spider is the most expensive form:

Snake: 5 + 135 = 140

Spider: 11 + 130 = 141

Rat (tiny mammal): 14 + 115 = 129

Raven: -12 / 115 = 103

141 rounded up to 145 and divide by 5 is 29. Plus 10 for x4 number of forms means the power costs 39 points.

Is this right?

Re: 5e Multiform and the 5e Bestiary

I have always understood that the total disadvantage points are what count when calculating multi-form the real points mean nothing. So you would use Snake 135, Spider 130, Rat 115, Raven 115, making the snake the most expensive form. I could be remembering it wrong though

Re: 5e Multiform and the 5e Bestiary

No, "(including Points from disadvantages)" means that you count points that were gained by taking disadvantages, not just the base points.

So for instance, a golem with 50 base points, 100 points in disadvantages, and a total of 150 points spent would cost 150/5 = 30 points, not 50/5 = 10 points.

In this case, the Rat is the most expensive form, at 15 points. The Multiform cost would be:

Multiform (max 15 point forms, x4 forms) - 13 points.

The fact that all the forms in question have large amounts of disadvantages that they're not using the points form could possibly be considered a Limitation on the Multiform.

Although in this case, since the Imp retains its intelligence when shifted, the forms would be a bit more expensive, and some disadvantages might not be appropriate.