Castlevania: Combat Cross

AlHazred

In the old Castlevania computer game series, the protagonist uses a whip called the Vampire Killer. Castlevania is getting something of a reboot soon (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow), and that includes the latest computer graphics, the most advanced gameplay engine, and a whole new look. Among other things, this means the old Vampire Killer is being retired.

Instead the new protagonist (Gabriel Belmont) uses something called the Combat Cross: a weapon that in retracted form resembles an ornate heavy cross, but that can be extended to be spiked chain with a hooked tip.

The weapon intrigued me enough to stat it up for my high fantasy game. Because I'm using it in my game, the description here is a little changed, but that should be easy enough to fix for purists.

Direct link.

Re: Castlevania: Combat Cross

Looks cool. Although perhaps you should add something to simulate the holy water ingrained in the spiked chain? Something that takes away the (un)natural advantages of evil creatures. E.g. a Linked Dispel to Armour, Damage Reduction or Regeneration.

Or I suppose you could assume that any evil beasty the weapon encounters will have been built with vulnerabilities to holy weapons. Which, since you're running the campaign, is fairly easily arranged.

Re: Castlevania: Combat Cross

Or I suppose you could assume that any evil beasty the weapon encounters will have been built with vulnerabilities to holy weapons. Which' date=' since you're running the campaign, is fairly easily arranged.[/quote']That's exactly what's intended. I toyed about with the extra damage you'd buy to simulate such a property, but it looked cumbersome. Characters get no defense versus their Susceptibilities and Vulnerabilities are multiplied prior to armor, so it seemed the most elegant solution was to just note that this is a "holy" weapon and leave it to the factors affecting each target.