Blind Teleport Attack Roll

prestidigitator

Question

On 6E1 p. 300 it says:

A character can Teleport to any location he can perceive with a Targeting Sense.... If it’s difficult to perceive the location, the GM may require a PER Roll.... If the PER Roll fails, the character must make an Attack Roll (against DCV 3) at -1 for every point he missed the roll by to Teleport to the proper location.... If a Teleporter cannot perceive his target location at all and is simply guessing where it is, he must make an Attack Roll (against DCV 3) at -5 to move to his target Area successfully. The character uses his standard OCV to make this roll, unless some other circumstance (like being Flashed or in Darkness) affects him. The Range Modifier applies, and the GM may also apply any other additional modifier he wants....

Whereas on 6E2 p. 29 under "Teleporting Blind" it says:

When a character cannot see his target location and doesn’t have it memorized, any attempt to Teleport is considered “blind.” The character makes an Attack Roll to hit the target point (DCV 3), with a normal Range Modifier. If the roll misses, he ends up at a different point (use the standard rules for attacks that miss a target point to determine where he goes). If the target point is occupied, the character takes damage.

These statements seem to be contradictory. The former gives a penalty of -5 (a maximum, I assume, to the attack roll penalty due to missing a Targetting Sense Perception roll as described earlier in 6E1) to the attack roll. The latter implies there is no penalty at all to the attack roll. Which is correct, or am I missing some kind of context that makes the two descriptions apply to different situations?

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

Re: Blind Teleport Attack Roll

I wouldn’t consider them contradictory, the former simply goes into more detail than the latter. The latter for clarity’s sake should either just reference the former or reprint that text in its entirety (with the additional information about Teleporting into solid objects, and so forth).