Re-Jiggering the Throwing Table

gojira

I was looking at the throwing table in the Basic Rules today and noticed something. The table is nearly one-to-one, but not quite.

For example, between ST 0 and 10, there are two "half steps" where an increase in 1 ST only gives 0.5 meters increase in throwing distance, rather than 1 that most give. So as a result, with 10 extra ST you can only throw a object 8m instead of 10.

The table continues like this, but is completely linear. E.g., and 10 times the extra ST (100), you can throw an object 80m instead of 8 (10x). So I was wondering if anyone saw any game breaking problems with making the table just 1-to-1. For each point of extra ST, you get one meter of throwing distance. 10 extra ST = 10 meters, 100 extra ST = 100 meters.

Thoughts?

P.S. I was comparing 6e Basic Rulebook with 5er. I noticed that the throwing table was the same, except with meters replaced with inches. But one inch is two meters, so for a straight conversion the 6e table should have doubled in value. ST100 should be 160 meters, not 80 as shown.

Deliberate or booboo?

Re: Re-Jiggering the Throwing Table

Here's the short write-up I did:

Throwing

I've revised the throwing table in the Basic Rulebook: to throw an object, calculate how much “extra Strength” you have. For each full step on the Strength Table, you have 1 point of extra Strength (this is the normal calculation). Then, for each full point of extra Strength, you can throw the object 2 meters.

Extra Strength

• 1 STR = 2 m

• 5 STR = 10 m

• 10 STR = 20 m

• 15 STR = 30 m

• etc.

This assumes a running start or that the character can “wind up” before throwing. Halve these values if the character cannot. Divide these values by four if throwing while prone.

Small aerodynamic objects that weigh less than 1 kg (2 lb) can be thrown much further than this table indicates. Multiply the values on the table by 2 for these objects. In addition, a character may be able to use an appropriate skill to boost their throwing distance if throwing a small aerodynamic object. If the player is throwing a baseball and has PS: Baseball, for example, or if the player is throwing a grenade and has PS: Soldier, allow a roll against their skill. For each point the player makes the roll by, their character can throw 2 extra meters.