Cinematic Martial Art, Hoist and Heave

Shinobi Killfis

So the hoist and heave maneuver is a grab and throw martial art move. The throw gets +20 to your strength for the distance thrown. Sounds cool but my current character has a 20 strength so I throw people 24 meters. In a anime style or super hero campaign I'd be all for it, but we are doing a shadowrun/cyberpunk style game and it seems to be a kind of absurd distance for a unmodified human to throw someone. The "realistic" throw distances in APG actually make it worse a lot worse. While for the move his effective strength is 40(30 more than needed to throw most humans), he still is a human being. Does anyone have a suggestion for a shorter throw guideline?

Re: Cinematic Martial Art, Hoist and Heave

The Cinematic Martial Arts package is not really designed for a low level cyberpunk word like you seem to be going for. I would not use it there. I would stick to real world martial arts from the books or arts designed to look like them. I would also stick very rigidly to normal human maxima when building characters, with no one without cyberware being allowed to exceed a value of 20 without a damn good reason. You might even want to push the starting values on stats down to 8s. I would not allow extra damage classes for martial arts, and I would strictly limit the number of skill levels you could buy without cyberware.

The Hero System makes people larger than life by default. Even a character with no points or skills added is significantly more robust than an average person. If you want a grittier feel you have to tweak it a little. I know those aren't perfect solutions, but I hope you find some of it useful.

Re: Cinematic Martial Art, Hoist and Heave

Thanks for the advice. We are follwoing most of that. For example the extra DCs for martial arts only really come into play in the campaign if you you have cyber/magic to give a reason for it, same with stats above 20. Since it is shadowrun there is magic, but it is still rooted in the real world. And while I got my idea for my character from anime(full metal alchemist, I'm sort of like Alex Armstrong), the 24 meter throw seemed a bit much. I might swap out the martial art if the GM okays it, maybe a normal martial grab to emphasize the grab part and if I want to throw I'll just stick to my 20 strength. 8 meters is still quite far.