Dante Morninglord. a conversion in the works.

Pizza Man

This is one of my favorite characters from 3.5 DnD. I had an absolute blast playing this guy.

--The story below is the fault of the DM. He said we need to write backgrounds with plot hooks for him to use. No Conan origins allowed.

Now I've cut my teeth with a few characters, I want to try converting this one...

Dante Morninglord Human Male Warlock

born Mikhail Shdatonmeyer (shadowmaster)

Eldrich Blast: 1D6 Roll to hit, no save. Standard action, interuptable, yes SR does apply

Least Invocation: Eldritch Spear 250' range for my blast-with no range penalties

*Mortalbane feat from the Book of Vile Darkness. This is the terrible secret Dante learned.

5 times a day, Dante's Eldritch blast does 2D6 more damage.

Its a General feat with no prereqs

Equipment: 120 gold to start

Studded Leather (AC3) 20 lbs

Morning Star 1D8, X2, Bludgeoning/Peircing, 6 lbs

BackPack 2lbs

Sleeping blankets 3 lbs

Waterskin 4 lbs

2 days trail rats 2 lbs

Signet ring -

Flint and steel -

Identity papers w/portrait

Traveling papers

Laskin Horn +1 to hit with ranged touch attacks.

Pages 91 and 92 of Ebberon Book

7 gold, 5 silver left

37 pounds total Medium load, move 20'

A NECCESSARY HISTORY

The war had stretched on for 30 years. Karrnath had suffered terrible losses, and now Thrane and Cyre were hammering at the gates. Gaol Morninglord was concerned, A minor noble in the service of Kaius I, Gaol stood to loose everything. Now Gaol was a man of ambitions, greater than his holdings would allow. This was...unfortunate. Gaol made plans to betray the king, but something happened.

Undead armies arose and defeated the enemies of Kaius. The king announced he had made an alliance with the Blood of Vol, a mysterious cult. Temples began to appear in the major cities. This was an opportunity Gaol could not pass up. The entire Morninglord household joined the cult. Gaol changed his name to Shdatonmeyer ("Master of Shadows" in the old toungue), and reworked his device to a black bat on a red field.

The Blood of Vol also saw an opportunity in Gaol. His naked ambition and lust for power would be useful. Lord Gaol partook in foul pacts, and bargains of power. In so doing, he tainted the bloodline of his family forever. Evil would be a mark of the "House of Shadow" as the Shdatonmeyer manor became known.

Years passed. Gaol increased his lands and holding. He was powerful now, just as Vol promised. The House of Shadow produced many Necromancers, Hexblades, and Warlocks. Gaol himself was a warlock. In a time of war the evil of Gaol went unnoticed .

Then the king disappeared. For the next 80 years Gaol ruled his lands, ever growing in power, and yet never aging.

With Kaius the 3rd, The Blood of Vol was purged from Karrnath. Gaol fought against the king and was destroyed. His lands were taken, his fortress destroyed, and Gaol the powerful was staked through the heart. His surviving family surrendered, and swore fealty to Kaius III. Once again, they were minor nobles, with little land. But the legacy of Gaol and the House of Shadow did not fade...

THE SON OF SHADOW

Mikhail Shdatonmeyer, was the third son of Caleb, the Lord of Shadow. Both his brothers were Hexblades. His sister was a necromancer in the service of Kaius III. When the eldrich energies danced about Mikhail's fingers, the family was overjoyed. Mikhail was taken to the secret family shrine, and introduced to the cult of Vol, still worshiped and protected By the House of Shadow.

Mikhail grew up steeped in evil. He learned dark things only whispered in the world of light. Blasphemies and dark secrets were taught to Mikhail. He witnessed human sacrifice. All this was presented as normal to him. Mikhail was falling into evil.

On his 15th birthday, a senior cleric came to visit the House of Shadow. There was a great celebration. The Vol priest took a liking to young Mikhail. He taught the boy a terrible secret of murder: Mortalbane. Mikhail was addicted to power, and eagerly performed the blood ritual. He was then told to go out into the world, and not return until he had the blood of an innocent upon his hands.

The boy set out. He took nothing with him, Murder would give him everything he needed. Mikhail marched over open country, he planned to kill on the lands of a hated rival.

Screams broke out in the trees ahead. Children's screams. Mikhail surged forward. An ogre threatened a pair of children, it had already killed their dog. He felt raw energies surge and swirl in his arms. Without thinking, Mikhail shot the beast with a blast of eldritch power. The ogre turned, laughed and swung it's maul.

The maul smashed into the ground, barely missing Mikhail, throwing him off his feet. Again, he launched a bolt of eldritch energy at the ogre, and again it was laughed off. Mikhail was spending more time desperately dodging the maul than attacking. He realized he was going to die.

Mikhail uttered the dark words of murder. He blasted the beast, this time it staggered. It appeared shocked. Another deadly blast, and the ogre dropped it's maul. It started to retreat. Mikhail sneered in triumph, he didn't even say the words this time, but the murderous power burst forth. The ogre fell.

Ignoring the children, Mikhail turned the body over. It's face was frozen in a look of horror. Surprised, he laughed, cut the purse free, and tossed it to the children. The purse fell at their feet. They stared at him, and ran away.

Cursing their ingratitude, Mikhail stomped over to the purse. "Ignorant peasants,' he thought. "I saved their miserable lives!"

He stopped. The children were...innocents. Was he supposed to kill...THEM?

But he didn't want to kill. Not children.

Here alone in the forest, where no one could see, 15 year old Mikhail wept. He didn't know what to do.

LIES AND BETRAYAL

He returned to the manor house with blood on his hands. The priest had left, much to Mikhail's relief. His father, Lord Caleb declared a feast: Mikhail had come of age. The boy did not enjoy his celebration, he seemed sullen, withdrawn. Caleb was not concerned, his son had crossed a threshold today, Mikhail deserved some peace.

A threshold had been crossed. Mikhail had lied to them all. The blood on his hand was the ogre's. He looked at his family through new eyes. For the first time he saw the shallow, selfish nature of evil. How was he different from the ogre? The children saw no difference between himself and a monster.

In the months that followed, Mikhail lived a lie. Paying lip service to Vol, he tried to skip ceremonies when he could. He made excuses and wandered for days at a time. He even grew so bold as to make secret contacts with priests of the Sovereign Host. A whole new way of life was out there. Most people did not kill, or plot against enemies. Most people lived and loved in peace. There was a tranquility of life here that he longed to participate in. Mikhail was not yet 16, but he knew he would have to leave. He would be killed if his family knew what he was doing.

It was midsummer when the priest of Vol returned. There was no celebration, no feast this time. Caleb's face looked grim as the two men shook hands. Mikhail wondered, had he been found out? His brothers were called to a secret meeting, but not Mikhail. Sneaking up to the main hall, he slipped past the guards, and listened through an alcove. A plot was underway. An assassination...a small armed force was to be gathered secretly on the grounds. But who was the target? The meeting broke up before he could find out.

Over the next few days, dangerous men started to arrive at the manor one or two at a time. One night, two women arrived. Both were beautiful, and sensuous. Tania was older, 30ish, her eyes lit with a mischievous glint. Tania always seemed about to laugh.

Katrina was Mikhail's age. She was petite, blonde, almost shy. Mikhail found it hard not to stare.

Tania and Katrina attended dinner, but did not eat. Caleb gave Mikhail a gift. It was the holy symbol of Vol, Queen of the Dead. It was heavy and oppressive.

Caleb clapped his son on the shoulder, "My son. We have been chosen. In a few days, you and I will undergo the Sacrament of Blood. I'm so proud of you." Mikhail concealed his emotions. He was frightened. He had no idea what the Sacrament of Blood was, but he was not going to find out.

"You have no idea what a privilege it is." Tania purred. "To fly, to run with wolves... Yes, it hurts a bit at first, but the pain is trivial compared to power you gain! Just think. For a few days, you sleep. When you awake, Kaius will be dead, Vol will be supreme, and you, Mikhail will be young forever!"

Mikhail tried not to start. Kaius was the target?

Katrina smiled. Her blue eyes blinked. "I expected a tedious job. But I think we both will enjoy this, Mikhail." She pressed against him, warm and inviting. "Tomorrow night, the eve of the New Moon." She whispered in his ear.

Mikhail excused himself, and left. Caleb laughed. "Tonight, my son is shy!" Mikhail's brothers lost no time in introducing themselves to the ladies. It would be a merry night in the House of Shadow.

Mikhail was in a panic. The night was young, and he dared not leave while it was still dark. Or rather, he thought, would this be the perfect time? Everyone seemed to be occupied, music could still be heard from the great hall... He filled a small pack and snuck towards the stables.

The horses were agitated. Something smelled wrong. Mikhail had smelled this before. Blood.

He looked into the last stall. There was the stable boy, his throat was torn out. Blood pooled on the floor, it coated the walls, soaked into the straw. Tania was on her hands and knees lapping up the blood like a cat. She looked up, and smiled.

"Don't be shocked, Mikhail." She stood up, her dress was ruined, the blood made it cling to her body.

"I grew up in the church of Vol." he sneered. "There is little that would shock me, anymore."

"What are you doing here?"

"I need air, I need to ride."

"I need to inform your father. You're very important to us, Mikhail. Katrina would be so disappointed if something happened to you... in the night."

"Aren't you busy?" Mikhail felt energy build up in his arm.

"Mikhail. Events are underway that are more important, than just a joyride. And do you need a backpack to get air?" Tania stepped close. "Whats in the pack, Mikhail?"

"Let me show you." He pulled out a silver symbol on a chain, and presented it forcefully to her. Tania recoiled with a shriek to the wall. "Its a symbol of the Sovereign Host. I worship the Host, NOT Vol!" He loosed the energy so long built up inside him.

She cursed, she threatened, she wailed. But Mikhail fired blast after blast. She climbed up the wall to the ceiling, But he didn't stop .

Tania dropped to the wooden floor, and snarled like a wolf. "You can't kill me Mikhail, but I can make you suffer for..."

She dispersed into a bloody mist.

He stood there. The music still played. She would take hours to reform. Mikhail took his fathers war-horse. Tossing a lantern into the straw, he rode out into the night.

THE BEGINNING.

Mikhail spent a week under house arrest. His 16th birthday passed unmarked during this time. At least they brought him good food and books.

Mikhail rode his father's horse to death. He made it to the castle, and spoke to the guards. His story circulated through the levels while he waited outside for hours. He was summoned that very night before the king. Mikhail never thought he would really get to meet King Kaius the third.

The last he had heard, the king ordered his knights assembled. And then the king ordered him into house arrest. He said not to worry, but with Vol, treachery was his greatest enemy. He wanted Mikhail where he could find him.

Mikhail ate meals from the kings own table. And ministers did bring him news.

An army was found at the House of Shadow, and defeated. His father was killed in the action. (Mikhail did not weep)

His brothers surrendered and claimed to be ignorant of the plot, swearing fealty anew, the King passed Shdatonmeyer lands into his oldest brother's hand, now Lord Godfrey of Shadow.

The women Mikhail mentioned were never found, but servants confirmed his story.

His brother, Lord Godfrey disowned Mikhail as his first official act.

The King summoned Mikhail before him on the 8th night. Kaius apologized for any discomfort and advised Mikhail he was free.

"You have done me a great service, Mikhail. And I have been a poor host. It is time I did something for you.

Your bravery has cost you your name. I will now return to you your true name. Arise Lord Dante Morningstar. I name you after your great grandfather, he was a good and loyal man."

The king then gave Mikhail a ring. "This is the signet ring of your family before they turned to Shadow. Wear it well, Dante."

Mkhail was never prouder than the moment he put on his ring. "Thank you" He stammered.

The king clapped his shoulder. "I can protect you here in my capitol. But I'm afraid it will be death if you ever return to your family lands. I wonder, Dante Morninglord, would you be willing to serve me in another fashion?"

"Yes, my king!" Mikhail was overjoyed at this.

"I want you to travel to my embassy in Sharn. Work there for a few months, get to know the city."

Mikhail smiled.

"But then I want you to leave the embassy. Hook up with...'Adventurers.' Go with them, learn to use you inborn talents. With such useful friends you will fine tune your abilities, and learn to wield them in unexpected ways."

The smile disappeared. This was...different.

"Whenever you travel to a city with my embassy there, I want you to report in. Your ring will be recognized. Tell my councilors, what you have done, and what you can do. The day will come when I contact you again. Serve me well, and I shall find other things to return to you.

Will you do this for me, Dante?"

Mikhail bowed, "Yes. I am proud to serve. I will be worthy of you, my king."

"I know you will." Kaius clapped his hands. A servant appeared "See that Lord Dante has what he needs."

ITS NOT THE END

Godfrey cursed and spat. His brother Hector, and his sister Patrina joined him in the Family crypt. They had just laid Lord Caleb to rest, he never underwent the Sacrament of Blood.

"What have you learned, Patrina?" Godfrey challenged.

"He is still here, but hidden." Patrina smiled, and pressed a stone carving. A section of the wall slid aside with an ancient grinding protest. A dark passage stretched forth. She tapped her staff, and its tip burst into flame. She led the way.

A massive stone sarcophagus lay at the end of the passage. Obscene runes were carved in its surface.

"Dear Hector. The lid please."

Hector pushed the massive lid, muscles bulging beneath his robes. It fell on the other side, breaking in two.

A body lay inside, the bones covered with leathery skin. A stake still stood where it's heart would be.

Patrina nodded, and Hector pulled the stake free.

"And now brothers, we watch."

Hector leaned forward. For long moments, all was still. When it happened, it was too fast to stop. The body launched itself at Hector, it's teeth ripping at his neck. Hector flailed, but even his strength was not enough. Godfrey shrank against the stone wall. Patrina smiled, and held her place.

In moments the lifeless body of Hector was tossed aside.

"He's dead!" Godfrey gasped.

"Only for a little while." Patrina soothed.

Standing in the sarcophagus was a tall man, with black hair just beginning to grey. He had a feral look in his eye.

Patrina broke the silence. "Lord Gaol, we are your kin. Welcome back to the House of Shadow."

Re: Dante Morninglord. a conversion in the works.

I never picked up DnD 4.0, so I have no idea how they work eldritch blast with the new rules.

In 3.5 it was weaker than standard magic attacks, but eldritch damage was just not resisted.

I think a BODY drain might fit the bill, BUT the Hero System does not have walking piles of hit points that DnD has. Dante might be unballancing...

How about higher diced NND attack (vs Power defense) that does body? With a 1/2 variable advantage, for minor effects like area, Affects desolid, armor piercing for pesky mages and the like.

would that make more sense?

another thing, Dante can wear armor, but he would have access to a school like witchcraft. He can do a few other things like fly with wings, go desolid, vampiric touch, summon the dead, typical scary stuff, even though he was a good guy.

Basically Dante has access to only ONE school...I think I would have to create that school from scratch

I'm reading Fantasy hero...how do you buy arcane power and armor?

and how do you fire into melee without hitting fellow players?