precision cutting instruments - conforming

dugfromthearth

I was working out how to do drills in HERO.

Basically killing attack, lots of extra time, OAF.

steel tips being armor piercing

diamond tips being penetrating

I would add "real weapon" limitation so they don't blow a hole in the wall when you use them.

But I wanted to have the hole be round and smooth, not some jagged hole like stabbing a spear through a wall. A similar desired effect would be for a scalpel which only cuts what you want it to cut.

So I thought of "conforming" from AOE, a +1/2 advantage.

For AOE conforming makes it not affect walls and other things. This seemed like basically the effect I wanted.

So does conforming make sense for precision cutting instruments?

I would think that it would simply be a matter of special effects without adding any type of advantage. If wielded in combat, you won’t have precision with a drill. Perhaps once you hit a location it could act like a continuous attack but if you leave a nice round hole or a messy jagged hole it doesn’t matter to the person, wall, vehicle etc.. A hole is a hole.

Now if you are talking about a super long drill bit, would AOE line fit more closely?

suppose you want to drill a hole through a vault door.

it might take a 4d6 killing attack to penetrate it. But you don't just buy a drill as 4d6 killing. You buy it with extra time: 5 minutes, or 1 hour or whatever. So it is not usable in combat.

Using a drill in combat (aside from being unwieldy) would be like wielding a very small knife.