Three Billy Clubs Gruff

Beetle

Well, two actually, and I'm wondering what the best way to do them is. I'm working on a new martial artist character and had the idea of giving him a billy club/battle staff weapon akin to what Mockingbird used to use. Namely, two billy clubs that can be joined together to form a longer staff. Also the individual clubs can be thrown.

So, what I have now is a multipower with a hand-to-hand slot (seperate clubs-OAF), energy blast (serperate clubs-OAF & two recoverable charges). The issue is that other powers I'm thinking of (extra leap, stretching on the hth attack) require the clubs to be joined into the staff. This can't be done if he's thrown one of the clubs and not yet retrieved it. Should that be represented in the write-up some way? Is it an additional limitation (must have both clubs, -1/4)? Or should I just take the OAF limitation and call it a day?

Multiple Focus possibility!

Try something like this...

14 Billy Clubs: Multipower, 25-point reserve, (25 Active Points); all slots: OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4)

1u 1) Billy Clubs: HA +4d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), HA (-1/2) 2

1u 2) Bo Staff: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) HA +4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), HA (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Stretching 1" (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), no noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) 3

1u 3) HA +4d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4) (25 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (Using charges "loses" focus; -1), OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4), HA (-1/2)

1u 4) Leaping +10" (6"/16" forward, 3"/8" upward) (Accurate, Position Shift), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4)

When one of the billy clubs is missing, slots 3 & 4 are unavailable, and the autofire from slot 1 is also unavailable (though 1 shot is still possible).

Just an idea!

Silbeg...

Thanks for the interesting ideas. I like the idea of a -1/4 limitation on the slots that need both clubs. But I think if I do the hand attack as an autofire, I'd need to buy autofire on the entire strength.

I think my problem is that I'm aiming for an OAF hand attack when there is a second focus (second club) that works if the first is taken. Do I need to buy the attack a second time? Would that solve the problem with other slots?

You know what? Actually re-reading the entire Focus limitation description in FREd actually seems to have solved this. Based on what it says on page 190, it seems the hand attack should be OIF (because there are two) and all the powers that need both clubs to work can be OAF.

When all else fails, read the directions... :D